Odd food recipe request with back story :)

(54 Posts)
SaggyNaggy Fri 05-Aug-16 21:42:55

Many moons ago I travelled to Scotland and toured all over. In every one of the ten or so B&Bs I stayed they served a Full English breakfast, all of them except one grin
They served a Scottish Breakfast with square sausage, Bacon, egg, beans and the subject of this post.

Does anyone have a recipe for proper Scottish Breakfast Fruit Pudding?
I keep googling and finding Clootie Dumplings and other things but no Fruit Pudding Suasage style, fried lightly etc.

Many thanks.

SealSong Fri 05-Aug-16 22:05:53

Can't find a recipe, but you can buy it here.

SaggyNaggy Fri 05-Aug-16 22:17:38

Thanks Seal im tempted to get the "Serves 12" one and see how many of me it serves.... Just one. grin

prettybird Fri 05-Aug-16 22:55:49

You'll probably find it freezes well. I buy Stornoway black pudding which is *the best* and cut it into slices and freeze it. It fries well from frozen.

I asked dh (who is more "traditionally" Scottish than me) if he knew a recipe. He didn't believe that it wasn't possible to find a recipe on-line, and then looked for himself.....hmm

GipsyDanger Fri 05-Aug-16 22:58:51

I'm sure we always called it 'white' pudding, but now I'm totally doubting myself confused

SaggyNaggy Fri 05-Aug-16 23:05:30

I think white pudding is a different t thing, white pudding has no fruit in it, fruit pudding does?
I don't know....
grin

The thing I remember was like spotted dick only sliced and fried.

prettybird Fri 05-Aug-16 23:26:21

According to dh, white pudding is different to fruit pudding (can't comment myself as I don't like any fruit puddings eaten as savoury). Love black pudding though

GipsyDanger Fri 05-Aug-16 23:43:13

At the end of the day, we're Scottish. We'll deep fry it and eat it for breakfast

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 06-Aug-16 14:26:24

White pudding as far as my experience goes is an oatmeal based sausage type thing but without meat - fruit pudding is something else - never seen a recipe though.

EnglebertSlaptyback Sat 06-Aug-16 14:34:28

Sealsong, thank you!!!! I've loved fruit pudding since I was little and I've been relying on friends smuggling it across the border!

Igneococcus Sat 06-Aug-16 14:41:49

My butcher sells that. I always wondered how it tastes but never tried it. I'll buy some next time I'm there. Is it very sweet?

cdtaylornats Sat 06-Aug-16 16:11:53

I've never heard of anyone making it. I personally don't like it I prefer a tattie scone.

White pudding is different it's like black pudding without blood

TallulahTheTiger Sat 06-Aug-16 16:13:30

I've a few of the Broons cookbooks (if you know who they are!) I'll have a look for a recipe.

ootsideinbacktaefront Sat 06-Aug-16 16:21:00

White pudding is rank, got offered it it Ireland thought it was fruit pudding, crushing disappointment.

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 06-Aug-16 16:45:58

Ah that picture doesn't look anything like white pudding as I know it. I'm referring to the sausage shaped oatmeal crumbly thing. It's never nice outside of Edinburgh - the differing types is probably why.

cdtaylornats Sat 06-Aug-16 16:55:49

That is the sausage shaped crumbly thing after slicing with a couple of bits of black pudding for comparison

bearleftmonkeyright Sat 06-Aug-16 17:03:08

Is it clootie dumpling?

bearleftmonkeyright Sat 06-Aug-16 17:03:52

Ignore, sorry it's in your op

HirplesWithHaggis Sat 06-Aug-16 17:11:10

I know exactly what OP is looking for, and it's not the same as white pudding or clootie dumpling. Wiki lists the ingredients (wheat, rusk, sultanas, cinnamon etc) but not the quantities or cooking method, which is frustrating. And, like others, I can't find a single recipe online!

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 06-Aug-16 17:12:03

cd - no, definitely not the same - the white pudding I'm thinking of wouldn't slice- it's like oatmeal. I've had white pudding in inverness and it was like eating stodge - probably the same stuff as in the picture sliced. never been brave enough to try it anywhere else sad

Groovee Sat 06-Aug-16 18:16:18

We buy it in Asda from Malcolm Allan.

prettybird Sat 06-Aug-16 18:25:03

It's obviously a closely guarded family recipe wink

SaggyNaggy Sat 06-Aug-16 19:46:59

Well I'm at least glad that others can't find it online. I was worried my internet jockey skills were slipping. grin

HirplesWithHaggis Sun 07-Aug-16 02:27:29

But prettybird, all of the butchers (and why butchers? Their main contribution would be suet...) who sell it claim to be using a "traditional recipe". Why can't any of us find it online? [frustrated]

The closest I found was a teabread, but that's not right either. sad

prettybird Sun 07-Aug-16 09:17:09

It does indeed seem strange. Must be a very special secret recipe. winkgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now