Talk

Advanced search

Edinburgh Airport - getting too big?

(36 Posts)
Euphemia Sun 31-Jul-16 15:51:59

I used to like flying from Edinburgh as it was small, no massive queues, no faff of being shuttled to your plane.

My last few visits have been increasingly unpleasant - long queues, slow service, not enough ground crew so long waits for plane steps, baggage, etc.

Anyone else found the same?

Glasgow's too far. What's Aberdeen like?

AgentProvocateur Sun 31-Jul-16 16:04:14

I do t fly from Edinburgh if I can help it there's nowhere to sit down (apart from bars/cafes) when you're through security and going through security is far more unpleasant than every other airport (inc Heathrow) I've ever been to. The staff are rude and shouty, and thers no space to put your belt/shoes on when your trays are through. I think it's a shockingly poor airport.

BlackRunningClothes Sun 31-Jul-16 17:17:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Euphemia Sun 31-Jul-16 17:19:41

I haven't looked into Aberdeen but I will next time I'm planning a trip. We're going to the USA via Edinburgh and Heathrow in October - I hope it's quieter then!

Euphemia Sun 31-Jul-16 17:21:27

We used to live near Glasgow Airport and I had lots of positive experiences of it, but now we're over two hours away. It's too far when you're just off a night flight!

BlackRunningClothes Sun 31-Jul-16 17:22:32

Euphemia Sun 31-Jul-16 17:45:22

Can you fly direct to California from Dublin?

BlackRunningClothes Sun 31-Jul-16 17:48:57

Euphemia Sun 31-Jul-16 17:54:21

I'll look at that next time! Our travel agent got us good prices in the BA sale this time so I'm happy to go via Heathrow and face the queue at immigration at LAX!

Drquin Sun 31-Jul-16 18:22:18

Aberdeen is easy ..... Admittedly a smaller choice of direct destinations, but good connections to hubs. Are Linus advertising ABZ - DUB - America flights for couple of hundred quid ..... Which I am tempted by.

Superjaggy Sun 31-Jul-16 18:23:51

I agree that Edinburgh has become less and less pleasant to travel from, for all the reasons that PPs have posted.

Aberdeen is good for connections via Paris and Amsterdam, and does some direct flights to holiday destinations like Tenerife. It's not too big and security isn't as time-consuming as Edinburgh. You do pay a hefty premium price wise though. Always worth a look, but I usually find it's cheaper just to drive to Glasgow.

Danglyweed Sun 31-Jul-16 18:55:21

Edinburgh is hell on earth! After swearing last year I would never set foot in there ever again, we're flying out of there on wed hmm im really starting to think ive lost the plot.

Glasgows usually pretty good. Prestwick is my fave, so quick and easy, aberdeens much the same... like edinburgh used to be.

whiteagle Sun 31-Jul-16 18:59:15

But Aberdeen airport is 3hrs and £30+ in petrol from the cental belt! Seems a bit bonkers to drive there to avoid a line at security if you are much closer to Edinburgh!! Petsonally i treat the london shuttles as the bus that they are.

MrsAmaretto Sun 31-Jul-16 22:22:22

Love Edinburgh, especially when flying with the kids due to the soft plays. Aberdeen has no facilities and I no longer like Glasgow though I can't put my finger on why?

I fly about once a month, but often the Scottish airport is our transit airport, perhaps that makes a difference to the experience?

Euphemia Sun 31-Jul-16 22:24:33

whiteagle I don't live in the central belt.

QueenLaBeefah Sun 31-Jul-16 22:29:03

Edonburgh really has gone down hill the past few years.

Flew from Newcastle recently and it was very good.

MorrisZapp Sun 31-Jul-16 22:33:09

I think of Edinburgh generally improving? We live a fifteen minute cab drive away so it would be mental to fly from anywhere else. Surely you can't compare it to Heathrow with its multiple terminals, twenty minute walks to the gate etc.

Euphemia Sun 31-Jul-16 22:40:30

I'm looking for a comparison between Edinburgh and Aberdeen, not Heathrow.

MorrisZapp Sun 31-Jul-16 22:44:09

Sorry I meant another poster who said it was worse than Heathrow. I've never used Aberdeen and my abiding memory of Glasgow airport was an entire family checking in wearing full Celtic strips, including the mum smile

Euphemia Sun 31-Jul-16 22:47:21

Oh ok sorry. smile Heathrow is its own special kind of hell ... grin

Euphemia Sun 31-Jul-16 22:51:01

Glasgow is good, but I put myself off it after driving back following a sleepless flight from Orlando. The stretch of road from Stirling to Perth is so boring! It was also pissing with rain. Horrible.

I can do Edinburgh in just over an hour, and Aberdeen is a similar distance I think.

Alittlebitofthis Sun 31-Jul-16 22:54:37

I've flown from Aberdeen and it's more expensive to fly from. We travel to Edinburgh or Glasgow when we're going anywhere. I don't find it too bad.

SheSparkles Sun 31-Jul-16 22:55:15

I flew from Edinburgh a couple of months ago and was surprised at how chaotic it seemed. Fortunately we had fast track through security because that looked like hell on earth.
I flew to/from Newcastle last week and it felt like Edinburgh used to feel, but obviously there was an extra couple of hours to drive, although it was worth it for the saving on the fare.
Last time I flew from Aberdeen was about 15 years ago so no idea what it's like now, but what puts me off is the time it takes to get there-it can easily take an hour to get across the city to Dyce from the south

Drquin Mon 01-Aug-16 09:34:38

Hang fire a few months and the long-awaited Aberdeen bypass will have you scooting around the city in mere minutes wink

Euphemia Mon 01-Aug-16 10:12:14

I'd probably take the train to Aberdeen - quite easy from where we live.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now