Talk

Advanced search

Strathaven Academy and Hamilton College

(4 Posts)
oldmac Thu 21-Jul-16 11:34:25

hi there does anyone have any personal experience of either of these schools? Also, if anyone on here lives in Strathaven what are the pros and cons? Thanks.

prettybird Thu 21-Jul-16 11:53:34

I have a MN friend (not sure if she's still on here) whose elder dd has just finished 6th Year and is off to Uni and whose younger dd is (I think) going into S4 and she's been very happy with Strathaven Academy.

OllyBJolly Sun 31-Jul-16 19:54:34

Strathaven Academy is an excellent school and Strathaven is a great place to live.

There's not an awful lot to do for teenagers but there is loads for young kids. Lots of SAHMs and a lot of daytime activities.

Pros - lived there 13 years and was never snowed in. (I worked in Glasgow)
- very reliable commuter bus into Glasgow but you are stuck with times there and back.
- strong sense of community.
- wonderful public park
- good swimming pool and sports centre
- some good events held - annual Gala Day, Balloon Festival, Agri Show.

Cons - A lot of new building means it's grown significantly. That might impact on schools
- public transport is pretty useless. Need own car.

We were very happy there.

Itsmeitscathy Sun 31-Jul-16 19:57:25

Don't waste your money on Hamilton college. Strathaven is a great school, the town is nice. If you prefer more to be more rural try Glassford.

The downside of strathaven is no train station, if you want better links look at Larkhall/Hamilton. Of course there's a trade off there and they're not as nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now