Talk

Advanced search

Two teenagers dead at TITP

(23 Posts)
AgentProvocateur Fri 08-Jul-16 18:29:21

Every year, there seems to be a death at T. The DC went two years ago and said that drugs were everywhere. It seems to be such an unsafe festival, and so many 16 and 17 year olds go as a rite of passage. Desperately sad for the families who have lost a young person tonight. sad

ScarletForYa Fri 08-Jul-16 18:34:48

That's terrible news. sad

Their poor families. flowers

Superjaggy Fri 08-Jul-16 19:06:49

This is terrible news. I'm a regular festival-goer and there definitely seems to be less policing at T than other big festivals.

At Rockness, there were sniffer dogs at every gate. I've never seen sniffer dogs at T, I always went in the VIP gates there but why would police assume that VIPs would be less likely to take drugs in?

RIP to the poor people who died sad

SantanaLopez Fri 08-Jul-16 20:17:57

It's getting worse and worse there every year. I think the crowd has totally changed and there are now too many people who are only going to get absolutely slaughtered.

If this had happened at a football game there would be uproar.

SheSparkles Fri 08-Jul-16 20:20:15

I'm working at TITP just now and it's dying on its feet-ticket sales were down by about 50%, partly I think because of the traffic fiasco last year. I have the feeling these won't be the only deaths this year 😞

OnlyEatsToast Fri 08-Jul-16 20:22:30

Firstly, you are assuming the the deaths are drugs related; but secondly, surely it's personal choice whether to take drugs etc? You can't blame a festival for someone making a choice to drink too much or take drugs? I used to go to TTIP back in the day and I had an absolute riot but my behaviour (and safety) was up to me

NicknameUsed Fri 08-Jul-16 21:02:53

So that makes it ok then Only? hmm

OnlyEatsToast Fri 08-Jul-16 21:09:18

I'm saying it's not the fault of the festival if 2 teenagers decided to do something unsafe

BearFoxBear Fri 08-Jul-16 21:09:21

It's a shame the way it's gone - the first few years were brilliant but as time went by its been increasingly invaded by neds determined to get completely out their faces and fight. The last year I went was 2009 and it didn't feel safe at all.

prettybird Fri 08-Jul-16 21:38:49

Tragic for the kids involved and their families sad

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Fri 08-Jul-16 22:08:17

Security is notoriously lax... it needs to be shut down. Any parent letting their kid go to that needs their head checked.

Daytona79 Fri 08-Jul-16 22:10:30

TITP was fab from 1996 to early 2000's then I found it went downhill, I stopped going regularly around 2006 ish

It became too big, too many days, and way too many trouble causing neds.

Last time I went for a day in 2011 and it was terrible I left at 8pm as couldn't hack it anymore

lookbeforeyouleap Fri 08-Jul-16 22:13:53

Daytona by the look of your username you are the same age as me and I agree wholeheartedly. It used to be a great festival but it got too big too quickly and the security is terrible. The last couple of times I went I was genuinely quite scared and I'm not an easily intimidated person.

Daytona79 Fri 08-Jul-16 22:19:56

Yeah we had a few dodgy encounters the last time we went for weekend in 2006ish

Drunks running riot trying to start on people in campsite and a guy in tent next to us got stabbed in his sleep in the leg, it really frightened me and killed the place for me

When I went back in 2011 I could not relax and enjoy myself

Seen this today and makes me think nothing has changed since I last went

www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/police-probe-park-brawl-shock-8371584#ctQkDERZ6ICzg3UP.97

Rangirl Sat 09-Jul-16 11:27:58

Terrible for the poor kids who have died and their families

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sat 09-Jul-16 14:35:42

I let my son go for the first time in 2006. He was 15 and 11 months although some, but not all, of his friends were over 16. They went for the full Thursday (might have Friday then) to Monday morning. He loved it but his last year was 2010.

YouMakeMyDreams Sat 09-Jul-16 14:51:38

I'm the same age as you guys too and in my day it was great. Now I'd be terrified if dd said she wanted to go in a few years. It really is Nedville now. Too many people just going to get wasted. It's a total shambles. I'll stick to Belladrum now and if the weather is crap I can come home for the night because I'm not far away.
Really feel for the two families losing their children so young. Having teenagers is scary.

Superjaggy Sun 10-Jul-16 16:05:17

Dreams, Belladrum is one of my faves too and so much safer for young teenagers. My DS is nearly 16 and will be going with his mates this year, I'll be in the pitched village if he needs me (or more likely, needs money). Thank goodness they're happy to go there rather than attempt T.

3nationsfamily Sun 10-Jul-16 17:57:53

My DD 17 went for the first time yesterday and had a blast. I think you have to just trust them to be sensible and safe and make sure they stick with their friends. She did say though that she was glad she didn't go for the camping option due to the mud and rain more than anything.

YouMakeMyDreams Sun 10-Jul-16 22:01:26

super Belladrum is great isn't it? Feels so much safer. I got married on Belladrum estate so it's a special place for me anyway.
Not going this year I've got a weekend away with my sister and we are going to see Bryan Adams blush should be a laugh though.

Superjaggy Mon 11-Jul-16 21:15:19

Sounds great, Dreams! Have a ball smile

Groovee Mon 18-Jul-16 11:12:13

Dd wants to go next year. I'll not sleep the whole time she is away

Dogsandcats123 Mon 18-Jul-16 18:30:17

I'm 17 and it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be! I went with 5 friends and I'm the oldest out of us and we got talking to a group of 18 year old Scottish lads (2 school years above us- so almost 19) they were lovely, as was everyone else I met! I think I've made some new friends for life.
I actually found the more intimidating people were the older people there to see the Roses! One man aged around 50 touched my chest!
Overall though, I had the time of my life and it's made me desperate to return next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now