Thurso, Lesbian sheep farmers and alternative parenting

(64 Posts)
Rainpuddlesandyellowboots Sun 22-May-16 20:02:59

Hi. I'm currently living in Sweden but plan to move to Scotland in the future. I would like to get to know some people in Scotland but don't really don't know where to look. So if you live near Thurso, are lesbian or a sheep farmer. If you like knitting or alternative parenting (like home schooling, baby wearing or tandem nursing) or if you like tv shows. Well I'm not very picky. I just want to get to know some people =)

Footle Sun 22-May-16 20:19:23

Are you on Ravelry ? Try a few relevant groups on there and I'm sure you'll find somebody not too far from you.

SpaceKablooie Sun 22-May-16 20:22:27

I love this very specific thread title grin. Sorry, I'm not a lesbian sheep farmer though.

Rainpuddlesandyellowboots Sun 22-May-16 20:24:53

No I'm not at ravelry. What kind of site is it?

Rainpuddlesandyellowboots Sun 22-May-16 20:27:05

SpaceKablooie: yeah I couldn't decide what to go for so I picked a few. But i don't really care if you're a lesbian sheep farmer. I think I could talk to most anyone about anything =)

bonnie1981 Sun 22-May-16 20:33:16

I have a colleague in thurso (large company so we're all spread out). She's very religious so maybe not thurso if you're a lesbian.

Haggisfish Sun 22-May-16 20:39:26

Ummm yeah, I def wouldn't recommend north svotland if you are gay.

fluffywol Sun 22-May-16 20:40:54

People farm lesbian sheep? shock

cdtaylornats Sun 22-May-16 20:41:21

How do you tell if a sheep is a lesbian?

Rainpuddlesandyellowboots Sun 22-May-16 20:41:50

Bonnie1981: Ok. Is it a very religious place? I've just been through but Thurso has been a place I want to live in for several years. But I'm open to meet people from all over Scotland. =)

Rainpuddlesandyellowboots Sun 22-May-16 20:43:35

Haggisfish: Ok. Because people are narrow minded and maybe unfriendly or is it dangerous?

Rainpuddlesandyellowboots Sun 22-May-16 20:44:30

Fluffy wool: Yes. There's special farms just for lesbian sheep =)

Rainpuddlesandyellowboots Sun 22-May-16 20:47:12

Cdtaylornats. You look at the wool and see how it's swirling. If it's swirls to the left there's a good chance. So you try to herd them with a dog. And if they don't do as they are told it's quite certain they are lesbian!

Haggisfish Sun 22-May-16 20:51:52

IMO narrow minded and unfriendly towards 'alternative' people. I'm sure I will be flamed for it by some, but mn would not be representative of the population of north Scotland. I am talking from personal experience. People would probably not be overtly homophobic but would show it in other ways.

Haggisfish Sun 22-May-16 20:52:52

I would rent first for a while to see of you do like it.

Rainpuddlesandyellowboots Sun 22-May-16 20:59:37

Haggisfish:
Thanks for your answer!
I'm not openly gay. It's not really a secret but I usually have no need to tell people. As I'm single there's no wife to give it away either =)
And I'm very used to live in a narrow minded community so I don't really see narrowmindedness as a problem even if I prefer it to not be that. But I'm not really "normal" in other ways and I'm quite good at getting people to accept me =)
My plan is to live there for a few months to see how I like it. I have no problem with moving around a little until I find somewhere that I like. But I really like the northern Scotland =)

Haggisfish Sun 22-May-16 21:01:20

Fair enough. The north west is a little more welcoming ime. Badachro/gairloch area.

HamletsSister Sun 22-May-16 21:04:24

I live in that sort of area (not Thurso but remote Scotland). Gay DS has had no problems, plenty of gays and lesbians in the village. Sheep too.

No one pays much attention to parenting style either. We are too busy battling the midges and smiling for the tourists.

weebarra Sun 22-May-16 21:04:50

My sister in law and her wife live a hour north of Inverness. They were married last summer in a truly wonderful wedding. I don't want to out them, or myself, but they live in a village comprising about 200 people and they've never experienced prejudice there. There's a free church in the village too. They've not been burnt as witches yet.

Rainpuddlesandyellowboots Sun 22-May-16 21:05:03

Haggisfish: Great with tips! I don't think I've been in that part =)

OrlandaFuriosa Sun 22-May-16 21:05:16

You get small enclaves of alternative thinkers, you might find one in Ullapool near the Ceilidh Place, we came across one in Tongue, where Brighton art teachers sang IRA and Jacobite songs, and my Presbyterian/ wee free ancestors all buried near by rose in wrath and only the 150 sorts of single malt prevented me from slaying the singers.

But generally, no. Try Glasgow. But sparse on the sheep, though.

OrlandaFuriosa Sun 22-May-16 21:06:51

Ok, this was some years ago. Glad it's changed.

Rainpuddlesandyellowboots Sun 22-May-16 21:09:44

Hamlets sister: great to know! I wasn't very concerned but it's good to know how people are like =)

Rainpuddlesandyellowboots Sun 22-May-16 21:12:31

Weebarra: nice to know there's at least some lesbians in the area =)
Is it legal to get married in Scotland now? I don't think it was when I last was there 1,5 years ago. But I could remember it wrong =) (and I grew up in a free church and still live in the community. They're not really dangerous here =)

Rainpuddlesandyellowboots Sun 22-May-16 21:15:36

OrlandoFuriosa: I don't think I could live in a city. Glasgow is nice but I want the highlands =)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now