How to get rid of an unwanted piano?

(15 Posts)
whattheseithakasmean Sun 22-May-16 18:46:40

Any ideas - DD1 no longer plays piano & we could use the space in her room. It is an old fashioned upright & in decent working order (if probably out of tune). I've tried Gumtree, but the only person interested never showed up. Also no luck on Freecycle. Anyone had a similar problem & what did you do ( we are just outside Perth)? Thanks.

prettybird Sun 22-May-16 19:34:38

If you were closer, I'd take it off you (I'm in Glasgow) smile

Couchpotato3 Sun 22-May-16 19:39:25

You could approach some local piano tuners or teachers - they would know if anyone is looking for a piano.
Local schools / churches might also be interested.

AskBasil Sun 22-May-16 19:40:36

Ebay.

Just keep putting it up for free, buyer collects. That's how I got rid of our one

Also, put the word out at schools - someone might be thinking a piano is way beyond their means and they could never get one, but would take your one if they could

AnnieOnnieMouse Sun 22-May-16 19:43:26

Try Freegle - ilovefreegle.org It's similar to Freecycle, but UK based. There are lots of groups in Scotland

Betrayedbutsurvived Sun 22-May-16 19:44:54

Few suggestions here.

theverybesttop10.com/repurposed-pianos/

whattheseithakasmean Sun 22-May-16 19:45:15

It is now on ebay & I am off to explore freegle. Thanks for the ideas, please keep them coming.

AddToBasket Sun 22-May-16 19:46:53

Offer delivery. I used to work at a music school and everyone 'kindly' offered us their old pianos - as long as we could collect them. PITA. If you can deliver it you will find a home for it.

Frazzled2207 Sun 22-May-16 19:55:16

Local facebook selling sites. i've seen pianos go on ours.

whattheseithakasmean Mon 23-May-16 06:18:27

I don't want to offer delivery, I am hoping to locate someone who wants a piano to the extent they are prepared to come and get it, like I did when we first got it. It has provided sterling service, but with DD1 going to Uni, there must be another family who are looking for a free piano, it is how to find them.

insancerre Mon 23-May-16 06:33:04

Ring your local nurseries and ask if they want it

I have one in my nursery that was donated and the children love it

Notthisnotthat Mon 23-May-16 06:41:31

What about facebay Dundee or the Perth equivalent?

ThursdayNextIsMyHero Mon 23-May-16 06:41:43

In England the British Heart Foundation have some furniture stores and they will collect. That's where we got our piano from.

irishe Tue 24-May-16 10:19:56

I have pm you.

whattheseithakasmean Tue 24-May-16 18:21:19

Thank you for your helpful suggestions, piano has now found a home via a local Facebook site. Happy new owner and happy DD1 having space in her room. Good result all round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now