Edinburgh - Glasgow trains

(8 Posts)
chemenger Tue 12-Apr-16 09:30:05

Dd is going to be doing a course in Glasgow near Queen St station in July. We live in Edinburgh and I thought it would be simple to just hop on the train there and back (she will be starting at 10am). Now there are all these shenanigans at Queen St I'm not so sure. Does anyone know how the trains are working now - do they still arrive at Queen St? Are they horrendously busy? Do they take for ever? The alternative would be to spend a week in Glasgow, which is appealing except for the cost. She's too young to spend the week there by herself.

DeepfriedPizza Tue 12-Apr-16 09:31:49

They seem to be running with delays on average of 40 mins but are a bit unpredictable. Have you looked into busses?

cdtaylornats Tue 12-Apr-16 13:19:00

Some trains are running to Queen Street low level and some to Central.

www.scotrail.co.uk/queenstreettunnel

By July they should be used to it so will run as advertised. If she has to go to Central a bus runs every 15 mins to Queen Street.

chemenger Tue 12-Apr-16 14:40:55

It does look as though if everything beds down and runs on time the train should be fine. I didn't realise most trains were going into the lower level of Queen St. I think buses would take too long, just getting out of Edinburgh and in to Glasgow must take ages. I think we may stay over the night before she starts to make sure she gets to the first day on time then do the train after that.

Groovee Wed 13-Apr-16 11:12:19

The 900 bus is quite quick. It goes via Newbridge and is quiet along that section of the road.

bonnie1981 Fri 15-Apr-16 22:21:19

the marquee queues are doing my head in, and the trains are much more crowded, its like sardines around 5pm, not safe or comfortable at all.

LotsofDots Fri 15-Apr-16 22:23:37

If she has to go to Central, it's about a 5 minute walk - no need to wait for the bus between the two!

PacificDogwod Fri 15-Apr-16 22:24:46

ALL trains are using the lower level at Queen St just now.

I collected DS1 from there today, around 6pm.
It was busy, but not horrendously so, and really quite well organised IMO.

Could you do a reccy with her before her course, to see what it's like?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now