St Mary's Bannockburn

(14 Posts)
catbob Sat 19-Mar-16 01:09:54

Relocating to Stirling and wondered if anyone has any experience of St Mary's RC Primary Bannockburn? We are not catholic but see the school got a good inspection report recently.

Lidlfix Sat 19-Mar-16 12:48:25

My 4 DDs all attended this school and I was happy with it. Very diverse catchment area but that results in compassionate, socially aware young people. Experienced staff team many of whom have taught there for many years. Nice community feel. Not being RC won't make any difference, many pupils are not. Is it perfect? No, but nowhere is and on the rare occasion I did contact the school I was satisfied with outcomes.

BankWadger Sat 19-Mar-16 12:58:44

A lady I work with sends her kids there and is really happy with it. She was telling me about the RE and how they cover a broad range of religions, not just Catholicism. Where as my DCs state school's RE leaves me a bit confused (although it's excellent in every other way).

BloodyDogHairs Sat 19-Mar-16 16:04:21

What area of Stirling are you moving too?

I'm in B/burn, I've heard good things about the school but the parking is a nightmare for pick-up and drop-off but probably so is most school's these days.

catbob Sat 19-Mar-16 21:09:24

Thanks. That's all really useful to know. Not made decision about where we might move to yet but just checking out schools as a first step.

OneMagnumisneverenough Sun 20-Mar-16 19:06:58

I live in Stirling so happy to help if you are looking for info.

BankWadger Sun 20-Mar-16 20:06:20

There are buses from different parts of Stirling to St Mary's due to being the only RC primary (same with St Moden's High School). No idea if non RCs are eligible for the bus, but the Stirling Council website will have all that info.

OneMagnumisneverenough Sun 20-Mar-16 20:27:42

Non RCs will not be eligible for the bus as they are, in effect, placing requests. However if you don't intend to live locally, there are loads of schools in Stirling with good inspection results, I wouldn't get hung up on one school. Not that inspection results are the be all and end all anyway. It would be much more useful for you to arrange a meeting with the head of schools in areas where you have seen property you are interested in. ime, they all have a different feel and are good at different things and have different things going for them. Where is it you are moving from OP?

BankWadger Sun 20-Mar-16 21:29:08

That's what I thought re non RCs and the bus.

Even the not so good reputation wise schools are doing well as they have had a lot of funding put into them over the last 10 years specifically to bring them in line with other local schools.

But as Magnum says you need to visit schools for yourself to get a feel for them.

catbob Sun 20-Mar-16 23:52:39

Thanks again for all the advice. Will need to narrow down our search area and then take a look at catchment schools.

OneMagnumisneverenough Mon 21-Mar-16 07:01:11

Depending on the age of your DC, it may be better to have a think about which High School would be your preference and work from there?

catbob Mon 21-Mar-16 23:47:02

Good point about high school Onemagnumisneverenough. Thanks.

MrsJayy Tue 29-Mar-16 17:06:18

St modans high school has a good repitation few folk i know non RC have put there kids there your non rc kids might not get bus passes though

MrsJayy Tue 29-Mar-16 17:08:15

Reputation jeez st modans was not responsible for my education grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now