Moving south of Glasgow

(22 Posts)
tidyingmargo Mon 14-Mar-16 17:01:32

My family and I are moving south from the Aberdeen area to south of Glasgow.

We're thinking Strathaven would be good. I'd be interested to hear your views of Strathaven including info regarding the schools - both secondary and primaries.

Are there good areason and areas to avoid?

Any other suggestions for where to live - need to be able to easily access the motorway south and get to East Kilbride.

Thanks in advance?

prettybird Mon 14-Mar-16 18:12:13

I know of one MNer who lives in Strathaven and who is very happy with Strathaven Academy. Seems a nice village too.

SauvignonPlonker Mon 14-Mar-16 18:38:04

Don't know much about Strathaven, but maybe consider Eaglesham/Waterfoot, Fenwick, Dunlop, Neilston, Carmunnock, Stonehouse.

tidyingmargo Mon 14-Mar-16 20:55:21

Thank you for the info about the school.

I'll have a look at those areas too, thanks.

I should have said that my husband will be working in East Kilbride and I will be working in the Borders - so thought Strathaven was good because of the quick access to the motorway.
😊

Timeandtune Mon 14-Mar-16 20:58:55

I have only ever heard good things about Strathaven. Seems like a overly wee community.

prettybird Mon 14-Mar-16 21:00:50

Strathaven would be ideal for that.

AssembleTheMinions Mon 14-Mar-16 21:26:13

Strathaven is a wonderful village. 3 good primaries and an excellent secondary. It has a great community feel about it. They hold a gala day in June that most of the people get involved in. There is a musical festival held at the airfield with bands on all day and into the night. Not to mention a balloon festival as well as a beer festival.

It also has a decent size Sainsburys with an Aldi opening later in the year. A good selection of shops with quite a few independents. Hamilton is 10 mins away with East Kilbride 15mins. Glasgow is less than half an hour by car.

Happy to answer any questions.

tidyingmargo Mon 14-Mar-16 23:53:08

Thanks all.

Do you know if there are any areas which should be avoided? It all seems lovely, but you never know.

AssembleTheMinions Tue 15-Mar-16 12:41:10

I'm not a fan of Stonehouse, Larkhall or Hamilton although there are some nice areas. Bothwell is lovely and worth a look as well.

tidyingmargo Tue 15-Mar-16 16:39:57

I think I agree with you AssembleTheMinions - I love the property for sale in Bothwell - but we're looking for 4 or 5 bedrooms, for less than £375,00, don't think that's possible in Bothwell.
Will keep an eye out though.

TaintedAngel Mon 21-Mar-16 01:57:00

Agree you will Struggle to get that in Bothwell. Love my area though.
I second the avoidance of larkhall. Hamilton is OK, though there are rough areas.
You could also look at Motherwell which has good motorway links and has a good choice of schools. Again there are parts of Motherwell to avoid though - north Motherwell, forgewood and Jerviston. Feel free to PM if you have questions.

TaintedAngel Mon 21-Mar-16 01:57:45

Lovely area though**
Silly autocorrect

Elllicam Mon 21-Mar-16 01:59:44

Strathaven seems lovely, nice park and a lot of activities, especially for kids. We are in EK which is also nice smile but a lot bigger.

Elllicam Mon 21-Mar-16 06:47:26

Feel free to pm with questions also smile l am good with EK areas and kids classes smile

Littleallovertheshop Sun 27-Mar-16 13:01:44

Bit late but strathaven is lovely - good school. Stonehouse is ok too if you pick area wisely (same goes for strathaven). Bear in mind there are no good travel links - public transport borders on dire. One bus to and from Glasgow each weekday. Raith works are causing hellish delays on motorway.

If I was to move back to the area I'd go for merryton I think, near to train station and m74

Lightbulbon Mon 28-Mar-16 09:17:05

Thorntonhall is where to go if you have the £££

tidyingmargo Wed 30-Mar-16 13:43:24

Thanks everyone, your advice and tips have been great.
We did stick with Strathaven in the end and we're successful yesterday in purchasing a property. Looking forward to getting packed up and moved down the road now.
Will be lots of fun to explore the area.
Just hope the kids enjoy it, once they get over having to leave their friends.
Thanks again. x

AssembleTheMinions Wed 30-Mar-16 15:48:06

Ooh, how lovely. Where did you end up buying in Strathaven? Pm me if you don't want to say on here. grin

Littleallovertheshop Wed 30-Mar-16 16:55:34

Oooh so exciting! Try the waterside for a lovely celebration meal!

OneMagnumisneverenough Wed 30-Mar-16 18:02:39

I misread that as "try the waterslide for a lovely celebration meal" grin

<Imagines people zooming down the waterslide while munching their tea....>

Congrats OP very exciting!

AssembleTheMinions Wed 30-Mar-16 21:40:43

The Steayban in Glassford is wonderful for a meal and for coffee and cake I can highly recommend The Gallery.

tidyingmargo Sat 02-Apr-16 08:28:09

Thanks everyone, sounds like we're making a good move. We were down and visited the schools yesterday, so that as good.
Always great to have recommendations of where to go - so we'll be out and about trying them all! 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now