Talk

Advanced search

Higher Geography assignment

(15 Posts)
rogueantimatter Sun 06-Mar-16 17:30:31

Due to be done under exam conditions tomorrow. DS is currently 'chilling'. How far do they have to memorise their draft? They can take some stuff into the class?

He is doing my head in. I could cry with frustration. Unfortunately I don't know the parents of anyone in his class to ask.

prettybird Sun 06-Mar-16 22:05:07

Sorry - can't help as ds is only doing Nat 5 this year (but is planning on doing Higher Geography next year) but I just wanted to empathise. This'll probably be me next year.

rogueantimatter Mon 07-Mar-16 09:30:21

Thank you for replying.

He gave the impression he knew what he was doing when we 'discussed' it at dinner time although he was only 'pretty sure' that today is the day they're doing it.....

The old fashioned o-grades would have suited him better. No organising. Nice straightforward swotting before the exam then churn it out on the day I know you forget it all the next day

He went to see his lovely English teacher the other day. He was too busy to see him so he just came home without making an arrangement to see him another day.

As for getting his music composition in. He spent weeks faffing about recording it - goodness knows why - then weeks getting round to handing it in, then his teacher said he has to write it out on Sibelius.

I despair.

rogueantimatter Mon 07-Mar-16 09:33:02

FWIW the assignment itself seemed fairly straightforward. It didn't involve lengthy trips and fieldwork/surveys etc. A lot of it seems to be demonstrating that you can put something together using geographical terms. I think anyway. Rather than requiring extensive research. Hopefully.

ttlshiwwya Mon 07-Mar-16 13:50:29

Empathise and watching with interest as this will be my DS2 next year.

If it's any consolation my DS2s school's field trips for their national 5 assignment were a disaster. Human geography trip to the local high street - half the class disappeared to Greggs/Subway and collected no data. Physical geography trip to a local river - DS2 was only one of two (out of 30 kids) to bring wellies (only because DH gave him his) so ended up in the middle of the river taking measurements. Unfortunately the person he shouted the measurements to (his BF) "forgot" to record them all and DS2 "forgot" to check them - only pulled them out his folder a week before they had to prepare his assignment and realized that they were rubbish. So I'm not holding out for him getting lots of marks on his assignment.

prettybird Mon 07-Mar-16 15:16:05

That reminds me: must ask ds how his write-up of his Nat 5 Field trip went wink

His was also about stream river landscapes - they went to a stream river in the Campsies. At least they were all properly dressed - ds had proper hiking boots, which his teacher had recommended over Wellington boots.

OneMagnumisneverenough Tue 08-Mar-16 12:03:46

My DS and his friends all just piled into the river in their bare feet. They weren't asked to take wellies or boots, they were told to bring a towel!

You have my sympathy OP. My DS tells me nothing. Highers for him next year and Nat 5s for DS2. It's going to be a stressful few years.

rogueantimatter Wed 09-Mar-16 18:44:54

Oh my goodness!

prettybird Wed 09-Mar-16 19:18:55

Don't think ds' class would've done that - they only did their field trip in January shock!

Hope your ds' Higher assignment went ok Rogue.

OneMagnumisneverenough Wed 09-Mar-16 19:24:47

My boy is a Scout and spends his entire year in shorts regardless of the weather - He's also live his life in water given half a chance. I think he collected most of the data grin

prettybird Wed 09-Mar-16 19:33:13

Ds has inherited my poor circulation so always wears gloves when cycling and base layers when playing rugby. He's learnt to appreciate the value of silk socks and gloves as inner layers wink

OneMagnumisneverenough Wed 09-Mar-16 19:37:56

I think I am doing well if I can get mine to put a hoody on when it's -2 and not just go out in his t-shirt and shorts! DS2 wears his school jumper under his blazer every day of the year, even when it's roasting, DS1 has never worn his and wouldn't wear the blazer if it wasn't compulsory. However we all use 2.5 tog duvets all year round and keep the windows open a crack and have the heating off in the bedrooms overnight. Hot blood!

My mum says she used to use me as a hot water bottle to warm up everyone's beds in the winter!

whattheseithakasmean Wed 09-Mar-16 19:52:37

DH is a geography teacher & he tells me they can only take their 2 single sided processed information sheets into the exam. Simply copying the processed information sheets will give you no marks, you are meant to analyse the information. Hope that is helpful.

SquirrelledAway Thu 10-Mar-16 11:13:29

Last year DS was allowed to take in two sides of A4 with his printed up maps / diagrams / data tables etc to include with his written report.

For anyone doing it next year I'd recommend something where they can do some fieldwork, compare it to existing data and draw up some conclusions. DS did a traffic survey for a new road scheme, compared it to existing traffic counts and predicted traffic counts for when the new road is built and then discussed how the new road would impact on future town development.

rogueantimatter Thu 10-Mar-16 14:43:10

DS was allowed to take in his results in graph form. Nothing else.

The fieldwork was minimal - comparing two urban areas. Lots of easily found stats online for comparisons.

Housing was a lot of it - high versus low density basically and comparisons of the 'environment-.

I'll let you know how he got on in August.... hope he remembers to register to get his results by email

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now