Talk

Advanced search

Lake Garda from Scotland?

(14 Posts)
Swallowedbyasnake Sun 28-Feb-16 20:07:20

I quite fancy going to one of the big campsites at Lake Garda for our summer family holiday. Have seen some nice looking places on eurocamp website but when I have looked at flights for 2 adults and 2 kids from Glasgow or Edinburgh there don't seem to be any direct flights and it looks like it will cost at least £1,500 (have looked at fly be and jet2) am I missing something?

Swallowedbyasnake Sun 28-Feb-16 20:08:44

I mean flying to Verona

OneMagnumisneverenough Sun 28-Feb-16 21:15:36

I've looked at this regularly and can't see a cheap way to do it. You can fly into Rome which is sometimes cheaper but transfers are expensive or you could hire a car. Ex neighbours of ours did it by train after flying into Rome but think it was quite faffy and not that cheap.

Have you tried looking around the Pisa area? Flights go direct to Pisa in summer I think (EasyJet) or are fairly cheap even with a change in Gatwick. You can get the train to Pisa directly from the airport and take a local transfer train from there if you want to go further up the coast.

RJnomore1 Sun 28-Feb-16 21:17:53

We did it last year - train from Glasgow direct to Manchester airport, cheap as chips using a family railcard, flights to Venice though they fly to Verona too, train out to peschiera del Garda. We stayed a few nights in Venice too. Could that work for you?

Swallowedbyasnake Sun 28-Feb-16 22:41:03

Thanks for the advice, we have family quite near Manchester that we could stay with so will look into flights from there. Will also have a look at Pisa

Levatrice Sun 28-Feb-16 22:44:29

I did a summer season on a campsite in lake garda and a few scottish familes drove over but it took a few days. At the time ryanair flew to a verona-brescia not aure if they still do, the airports at Milan and venice will give easier access to lake garda than pisa.

OneMagnumisneverenough Sun 28-Feb-16 22:47:41

Levatrice, I was suggesting looking at campsites near Pisa, not traveling from Pisa to lake Garda - that would be a hell of a trip grin

Levatrice Sun 28-Feb-16 22:48:45

Ohhhhh grin hahaha sorry!! Obviously cant read!

Levatrice Sun 28-Feb-16 22:49:30

Yes if were going with that train of thought norcenni campsite is supposed to be good!

Bunbaker Sun 28-Feb-16 23:03:23

Thomson do a direct flight to Verona from Galsgow, and Jet2 fly to Verona from Edinburgh.

cdtaylornats Mon 29-Feb-16 11:53:03

It is always worth looking at flights from Dublin.

Bunbaker Mon 29-Feb-16 13:54:34

All you need to do is google your local airport and look at the route map and see which airlines fly where. This is how I discovered that you can fly direct from both Glasgow and Edinburgh to Verona.

NotCitrus Mon 29-Feb-16 14:16:02

Garda is accessible by public transport from Milan too, if that helps.

PhaseEighteen Mon 29-Feb-16 19:16:02

ThomsonLakes usually slash their prices around May/June if you are able to wait and grab something last minute. They charge a fortune for the package deal, but I have to say I find it worth it with kids. I can't be bothered with all of the connections.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now