Talk

Advanced search

Anyone's DC crashed Higher Graph Comm?

(18 Posts)
OneMagnumisneverenough Fri 26-Feb-16 16:25:13

Feck it's quiet on here at the moment.

As the question says really smile Doing DS1's Highers Options form at moment.

tilliebob Sat 27-Feb-16 22:26:56

Nope, DS1 is doing Higher Graph Comm and finding it hard enough going as it is. He got a B at N5. He is crashing Mods but that's not quite the same grin

weegiemum Sat 27-Feb-16 22:29:10

Dd1 plans to do this next year. She's very good at art and has been doing D&M N5, both art and tech teachers are happy to let her do it.

OneMagnumisneverenough Sat 27-Feb-16 23:24:13

Thanks both, the forms say he can do direct entry to Higher with an A in Nat 5 Art, He's doing Art but I'm not sure he'll get an A, he didn't do well in the written test but that's only worth 20% and he says he answered the wrong question or gave the wrong answer to the right question.....can't remember exactly.

He really wanted to do Graph Comm last year but the columns didn't allow it. The tech teachers at the time were keen for him to do it but equally keen for him to do Engineering science, they suggested he could go in at Higher for Graph Comm in 5th or do Nat 5 in 5th and Higher in 6th.

However, he wants his 5 highers in one sitting and there is really nothing else he wants to do.

Sooo, it looks like he is picking Maths, Physics, Engineering Science, Computing Science and Graph Comm. Head Master advised at the parents meeting that they should simply choose the 5 subjects with the best marks from their Prelims. That would give him Maths, Physics, Eng S, English and Geography. He hates Geography and all social sciences. Doesn't want to do English in 5th year as he hates the talk element. Hates having to talk at all really. sad

Why is this so hard!

OneMagnumisneverenough Sat 27-Feb-16 23:25:58

D&M would have been right up his street but it isn't offered.

dotdotdotmustdash Sun 28-Feb-16 17:31:35

I know a girl who crashed straight into Advanced Higher Graph Comm in 6th year and got a B in it.

OneMagnumisneverenough Sun 28-Feb-16 17:34:50

from nothing dot? Or from Nat 5/Standard grade?

Roseformeplease Sun 28-Feb-16 17:52:22

The Talk element is only a unit and a tiny part of Higher English. Some universities specify Higher English and not doing it can close down some future careers (teaching) and courses. Nothing wrong with crashing a Higher though.

dotdotdotmustdash Sun 28-Feb-16 18:31:07

I think she got the Standard Grade at a credit level, then started the Higher in 6th year and her teacher reckoned she could go straight to Advanced Higher.

OneMagnumisneverenough Sun 28-Feb-16 18:34:34

Thanks Rose - nothing he has looked at specifies English and I can't see him ever wanting to teach. Good news that it is only a tiny part though. I'd like him to get it as he is good at English otherwise. He once froze and couldn't speak at all when he was meant to be giving his talk so he is a bit traumatised. He has had to do all his talks since in private with the teacher and his brother as his audience sad

OneMagnumisneverenough Sun 28-Feb-16 18:35:59

Thanks dot. I think he will be good at it as he is both techie and arty. He once won a prize for being able to draw the faintest line - teacher seemed mega impressed! grin

dotdotdotmustdash Sun 28-Feb-16 19:30:14

My Ds wants to do a degree in Computer Games Design and Production, It requires Higher English.

OneMagnumisneverenough Sun 28-Feb-16 19:40:45

Thanks again dot. I'd like him to get English but he doesn't want to stress himself about English in 5th year when he is trying to get his required grades. He says he will do it in 6th year. He's been looking more at Product Design engineering or straightforward computing. Although he is very interested in computer games, I think he is wary of boxing himself in if he focusses purely on games design. I'm not sure if he has the right personality for it tbh. He was borderline for an A in the prelim so teacher thinks he should get an A in the real thing but who knows....

dotdotdotmustdash Sun 28-Feb-16 20:24:46

My Ds missed the grades for Computer Games Design at Abertay Uni, he needed AABB but he only got ABCC (inc C in English). He's now at college doing the HND route. You're right about it being a very narrow interest but my son is autistic and it's the only course he can see himself being interested in.

dotdotdotmustdash Sun 28-Feb-16 20:25:58

My Dd on the other hand got 5xA in her Highers and now she's got so many options and offers that she can't decide what to do!

OneMagnumisneverenough Sun 28-Feb-16 20:36:09

He did well then dot he's not managed the conventional route but he'll get there! DS1 is borderline aspergers but he just can't decide and is overly compliant. DS2 has been talking about being a games designed since he was quite young but has looked into it a lot and has changed his mind and has influenced DS1. DS2 is looking to do politics but he are trying to encourage him to do law to achieve the same end. He's do well in law, he is the total opposite to DS1 smile

You never get two the same!

Well done to your DD, what type of thing is she looking to do?

dotdotdotmustdash Sun 28-Feb-16 21:45:17

My son's problem was his lack of organisation, it definitely let him down in 6th year when the teacher's expected the pupils do self-generate much of their study. He failed to get the project work done on time and everything was rushed, even though he passed the exams, his project work was poor and he failed overall on 3/4 of his exams. He's struggling the way in college. He's very bright but he tends to live in the moment and has a poor grasp of time and consequences.

My Dd is heading off to China for a year on a language scholarship and then she's has offers to study International Relations. She's very different to her brother! She did consider law, but she wants to think about it again as a Post-grad course rather than a first degree.

dotdotdotmustdash Sun 28-Feb-16 21:46:20

*apologies for typos, I'm helping my Dh to wallpaper at the moment and I have to keep rushing off when he cries for help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now