Talk

Advanced search

California from Scotland?

(18 Posts)
Euphemia Sun 07-Feb-16 16:16:22

What's the best route?

I'm trying to plan a two-centre holiday to LA (Disney) and San Francisco.

Via Heathrow? Dublin? Other?!

Mrscog Sun 07-Feb-16 18:26:51

Can you fly to NYC from Scotland? I'd fly there and then pick up an internal flight to LA or SF - I suspect that will be the cheapest way of doing it. We got flights from JFK - San Diego with JetBlue for $90 each!

Euphemia Sun 07-Feb-16 18:31:45

Not worried about the cost as much as the time it takes to get there. Some flights via Heathrow seem to end up taking most of a day. confused

I'll look at the NYC option - we flew there direct from Edinburgh last year and it was a lovely flight.

3nationsfamily Mon 08-Feb-16 15:56:47

We went ba to San Francisco via Heathrow, did our 3 week tour ending in Las Vegas and came back from there again via Heathrow. all very easy but not cheap!

FinestGrundyTurkey Mon 08-Feb-16 16:13:38

You're probably best looking one of the flight search sites like travel supermarket - they will come up with a variety of routes.

haggisaggis Mon 08-Feb-16 16:29:10

Just be aware - the American airlines (ie United) treat flights within US as domestic flights rather than long haul - even though your flight time across US from Newark to LA will be just about as long as from Edinburgh to Newark. So slightly less seat space, no meals included, pay for alcoholic drinks etc. We flew from Newark to Phoenix last year with United and it was such an uncomfortable flight that we are flying with BA via Heathrow this year. (having flown with United to USA for past 6 years).

OllyBJolly Mon 08-Feb-16 16:38:06

Chicago or Newark from Edinburgh?

If you go via Dublin you have the convenience of pre-clearing customs etc.

If you fly via LHR with BA at least you shouldn't have to change terminal which is a PITA at LHR. (not quite as bad a PITA as having to change airports)

Skyscanner.net lets you arrange the options by total journey times.

prettybird Mon 08-Feb-16 18:11:27

I thought I'd posted in this thread.

Is Icelandair via Reykjavik an option? Flights from Glasgow (although coming back you have to get off the plane in Manchester and then get back on it confused) but I'm not sure where they go to in the States.

Zogthebiggestdragon Mon 08-Feb-16 19:51:12

I've always had a great experience flying KLM via Amsterdam. It adds a little time to your overall journey when going to the US, but you'll get a single flight from Schipol to LA or SF, and it's a really easy airport to change flights in. (Unlike CDG in Paris, don't change there, it's even worse than Heathrow ).

FinestGrundyTurkey Mon 08-Feb-16 21:42:57

We flew to JFK from Manchester via Düsseldorf with Lufthansa - returned direct with United who are their code share partners. The Lufthansa flight was much more enjoyable, but it was a loooong day.

Thomas Cook fly direct to JFK now between April & December from UK airports including Aberdeen & Edinburgh - very reasonable prices & facilities pretty good.

They fly to Los Angeles too but not from Scotland.

www.thomascookairlines.com/en/cheap-flights/usa/los-angeles/index.jsp

FinestGrundyTurkey Mon 08-Feb-16 21:49:09

You could consider changing at Manchester (fairly small & civilised) for a TC flight to LAX? The plane & food were very good IMO (though not up to eg BA standards I'm sure)

I know some people are boycotting TC though.

Sunbeam18 Mon 08-Feb-16 22:41:30

Like the sound of the Schipol idea. I usually do Edinburgh-Newark with United then internal flight to San Diego following day. Alternatively, fly to Heathrow on early flight and get a Virgin flight from there to LA or SF.

whiteagle Mon 08-Feb-16 22:43:38

I would pop into Trailfinders and see what they suggest.

Euphemia Tue 09-Feb-16 06:52:20

Flights are starting from Dundee to Schipol, so that could be a very handy option!

Mrscog Tue 09-Feb-16 09:41:21

Just to add, our 6 hour internal flight was with Jet Blue, whilst the experience wasn't quite like an transatlantic one, it was definitely a step up from our easy jet/monarch etc. Clean, not too cramped, TV to watch, nice coffee and sandwich based snack etc. so maybe it depends who you fly with - I think Virgin America are meant to be good too.

FinestGrundyTurkey Tue 09-Feb-16 13:36:47

Our Manchester-Dusseldorf-JFK trip took at least 4 hours longer altogether than the direct flight so factor that in! (Obv Düsseldorf is a bit further than Amsterdam, but only like the distance between Manchester & Birmingham, & we flew back over Manchester on the second leg hmm)

PennyDropt Mon 15-Feb-16 17:31:27

LHR to LAX is nearly 12 hours.

Glasgow to Newark then Newark to LA is possible. Both flights around 6 hours, I think, so longer trip including the hanging around at Newark. And the Newark to La had no tv monitors on a newish plane, so make sure you have a book or whatever. Internal flights are treated like bus trips in the US! Everyone had laptops etc instead. You could prob do same trip back from SF. Newark to Glasgow is through the night so you arrive about 7am.

Frazzled2207 Mon 15-Feb-16 17:45:57

Bear in mind that US airports eg newark are not set up for international connections.
So you have to wait for baggage and re-check which you wouldn't need to at heathrow, schipol etc. You would also clear us immigration at newark. All of this means you would need to allow more time for connecting than you would in europe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now