Talk

Advanced search

Nice hotel for 50th birthday overnight trip, within 3 hrs of Edinburgh

(46 Posts)
Piffpaffpoff Fri 05-Feb-16 13:10:16

Hello - give me some suggestions please' I'm coming up blank! Need somewhere nice but not stratospherically expensive (so not Gleneagles or Isle of Eriska for example) within a 3hr drive of Edinburgh. Should have a nice restaurant either on the premises or nearby. Somewhere scenic with maybe a nice walk or two nearby.

I quite fancy Arran but not Auchrannie. Don't want somewhere over-run with kids for our rare kid-free trip. Would prefer to go north or west I think? Help!!!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 05-Feb-16 13:17:20

Have you had a look at Trip Advisor?

Piffpaffpoff Fri 05-Feb-16 13:23:35

Yes.

tiokiko Fri 05-Feb-16 13:25:00

How about Monachyle Mhor in Perthshire - I think about £200/night with a fabulous restaurant.

tiokiko Fri 05-Feb-16 13:25:32

Sorry, meant to post a link mhor.net/monachyle-mhor-hotel/

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 05-Feb-16 13:26:12

Cameron House is lovely

lostinyonkers Fri 05-Feb-16 14:44:30

Wheatsheaf at Swinton in the borders, Peat Inn in Fife. Greywalls (possible v. expensive although have seen offers on Itison (actually have just checked and they've got a £137 deal on at the moment - that's really cheap).

Turquoisetamborine Fri 05-Feb-16 14:46:19

The Turnberry Hotel near Ayr is amazing. They normally have winter deals on for £180 BB&D. We go to every year. The spa is lovely too.

lostinyonkers Fri 05-Feb-16 14:46:35

Sorry - Wheatsheaf at Swinton also has a good deal on Itison at the moment, £89 for DBB and a bottle of prosecco. We go here a couple of times a year and it's nice, low key, good food.

newlabelwriter Fri 05-Feb-16 14:48:06

www.ardanaiseig.com/rooms/master-loch/
This is rather lovely and beautiful countryside. We loved it.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Fri 05-Feb-16 14:59:24

I know it's not North or West but the Marine at North Berwick is lovely, if it's not too close to Edinburgh for you. The spa has a lovely inside/outside pool and the outside bit looks over the golf course toward the sea. The food is good and the dining room is big enough that you don't feel too close to other diners - both it and the bar face out to the water. North Berwick is nice for a wander.

chemenger Fri 05-Feb-16 15:43:27

Peat Inn is great for food but it is really a restaurant with rooms rather than a hotel. We had a horrible time at Monachle Mohn a few years ago, I couldn't recommend it. Turnberry is owned by Donald Trump. Greywalls would be great, Ardanaiseig I have heard good things of and it looks amazing.

Piffpaffpoff Fri 05-Feb-16 15:45:44

Thanks all. I like the Marine at North Berwick but it's too close to home I think, same with Greywalls. I've heard great things about the Peat Inn, so will look into that. Ardanaiseig looks amazing and I think I'd like it but DH is up that way a lot for work so I don't know if he'd appreciate driving up there for a break. I had already looked at monachyle mhor, it's booked the weekend I need. Will look into the others too.

Piffpaffpoff Fri 05-Feb-16 15:47:11

chemenger Turnberry out for a few reasons but mainly because it's Trump!

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 05-Feb-16 15:49:34

www.craigmhorlodge.co.uk/mobile/

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 05-Feb-16 15:50:49

We got stranded there once in bad weather..was lovely

DansonslaCapucine Fri 05-Feb-16 15:53:38

I haven't been but I've heard that the Lochside House Hotel is lovely. Has a Spa and is in stunning grounds.

It's near New Cumnock.

Piffpaffpoff Fri 05-Feb-16 15:53:55

Fanjo anywhere that lists their (expansive!) breakfast menu on their website is going to be a hit with me!

NameNumber2 Fri 05-Feb-16 16:02:54

How about: Glena
It comes highly recommended by my parents, in their 60's.

SauvignonPlonker Fri 05-Feb-16 20:12:22

St Andrews? The Fairmont is quite a large hotel, modern & has a spa.

The Old Course is luxurious & old-style.

The Blythswood in Glasgow if you fancy a city break.

I like the Hilton in Dunkeld, very scenic and near the House of Bruar.

I've always been curious about Enterkine in Ayrshire, but never been.

Ditto Lochgreen in Troon.

Superjaggy Fri 05-Feb-16 23:24:45

Possibly just over your 3 hour limit, but there are some lovely places to stay around Inverness. I'd suggest Drumossie Hotel, Rocpool Reserve, Loch Ness Country Hotel, Kingsmillls Hotel. Loads to do and either in the countryside with nearby walks, or in town and near to the centre / walks along the river Ness smile

AutumnshadesofGold Fri 05-Feb-16 23:44:29

Slightly further than 3 hrs, I'd say maybe 4.5 or 5hrs but would be worth it. . .
Pool House, poolewe. 1.5 hrs north of Inverness smile

FannyFifer Sat 06-Feb-16 00:01:30

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/HotelReview-g1065827-d189682-Reviews-BalbirnieHouse-MarkinchGlenrothesFife_Scotland.html
Lovely hotel & food is fab.

Piffpaffpoff Sat 06-Feb-16 09:26:29

I grew up in Markinch so lovely as Balbirnie is Fannyfifer (we love going to the Bistro) it's a no to there!

Poolewe is lovely but too far for one night I think. We've holidayed there and I just remember the last bit of the drive past Inverness not looking too far on the map but taking absolutely ages! St Andrews a possibility, we go there a lot but a stay at the Old Course might be nice.

I think I'm leaning towards Perthshire so Dunkeld or Pitlochry so far. Anyone stayed at Fonab Castle? I'm put off by the fact that it's right next to the A9 but then thats handy for ease of getting there!!

SauvignonPlonker Sat 06-Feb-16 09:43:36

Have never stayed at Ballathie House, but have heard it is nice.

Never heard of Fonab, sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now