Talk

Advanced search

Dunblane

(11 Posts)
Atheling Thu 07-Jan-16 18:16:50

Hello everone. I am new to here and I am looking for any advice in relation to Dunblane. I am moving from the west coast of Scotland - need somewhere with good school but with semi - rural aspect.... easy access to both Glasgow and Edinburgh. On paper Dunblane is ticking alot of the boxes but would be nice to hear from people living there, thoughts on the area, schools etc... clubs... I will be leaving everything... friends and family and would be reassuring to know that this could be a final place for us. I have 2 wee boys - 6 and 9 and also good to know if this is a great place for kids.... thanks you all so much in advance ....

slicedfinger Fri 08-Jan-16 09:30:14

Perhaps if you repost this in Scotsnet you'll get some useful responses? I know there are plenty of MNers who live in that area.

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Jan-16 11:31:04

Hi Atheling - we'll pop this over to Scotsnet for you.

OneMagnumisneverenough Tue 12-Jan-16 18:45:39

There are a few Dunblane people on here so I am sure someone will be along soon, but I live fairly local and my kids go to Dunblane High so I may be of some use smile

In terms of primary schools, I understand they are all good. Dunblane Primary and Newton are the main school and are both double entry schools. The third school is a church school and very small. All 3 feed into the only high school which has a great reputation and is very academic. Not that many go Private purely because the High School is succesful in getting decent results I think. You do have Beaconhurst and Dollar Academy not that far away.

The Dunblane centre runs loads of clubs for kids of all ages and there is a tennis club and golf club too. You are also on the train lain for Glasgow or Edinburgh though I think parking by the station may be interesting?

There are some local shops (butchers post office etc) and a Tesco and M&S food but no petrol station.

The houses at the North end of Dunblane are a fair walk for the High School and there is no transport unless you are living outside the town - Ashfield etc I think.

The newer estates in Dunblane will all have lots of "non-Dunblane" people in them so I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to integrate into the community. There are Brownies/Scouts/BBs/Girls Brigade. I know Dunblane Primary has an associated kids club for before/after school care and holidays too - not sure if that applies to Newton too?

I live in Stirling so that me be another option for you? If you want any information on that let me know.

In terms of the overall area, I don't think you can go wrong - there are opportunities for the kids to get involved in about any activity you'd care to mention. Having the Uni nearby is great too as there is a pool and cinema/theatre there as well as tennis, running track etc and they run kids activities too such as canoeing. You have the countryside on your doorstep - Nearest seaside is about an hour but for all the beach days you get that's manageable smile Multi screen cinema and sports centre with pool in Stirling too as well as shopping and out of town centre for B&Q type shops. We have all supermarkets including waitrose. Also a arts centre that does music lessons/art/pottery and puts on some good artists if you are into Folk type stuff.

ANyway if you need any more info on Dunblane itself I'm sure there will be someone along soon!

cdtaylornats Wed 13-Jan-16 00:03:35

There are very regular trains from Dunblane to Glasgow and Edinburgh taking about an hour.

note that if you are aiming for Glasgow Queen Street then Scotrail have plans to make life difficult until March

prettybird Wed 13-Jan-16 09:21:16

I think it's from March until August shock that services into Queen Street are going to have major disruption while they electrify the line through the tunnel.

Services will be diverted to the low level lines or Glasgow Central.

Don't know why they didn't do this at the same as the major works last year hmm

OneMagnumisneverenough Wed 13-Jan-16 09:58:59

Yup, March until August, most services to take an extra 25 mins.

LizzieMacQueen Wed 13-Jan-16 19:01:31

I have just been reading this! It was announced yesterday I think and will add 20 - 30 minutes to each journey to Glasgow - that's a massive consideration. And yep, 20 weeks of disruption so going on until August.

Just what we need after the Forth Road Bridge closure.

Anyway, sorry for the derail (no pun intended).

LizzieMacQueen Wed 13-Jan-16 19:54:10

OneMagnum has pretty much covered everything you might need to know.

One thing if you are relocating is to consider yourself and what clubs or societies you might like to join. If you are sporty there are fitness classes at the Dunblane Centre, there's a bowling club, a golf club and a tennis club. I can't vouch for the bowling but I know members of the others and they are welcoming places.

There's a community website link which has useful info.

We made the decision to move to Dunblane largely because of the school and closeness to Edinburgh and Glasgow and from the people and friends we have made here that is true for most.

Feel free to PM me if you want anything else.

Teabag2 Mon 25-Apr-16 10:10:35

Just discovered there is a Scottish part to Mumsnet! Atheling Have you made the move to Dunblane yet? My husband and I have made the decision to move in the next year or so, we have a DD4 who is starting school just after summer and DS who is almost 2. Would mean we are closer to both sets of parents and commutable for DH to Edinburgh. Spent yesterday afternoon driving around the various areas, and managed a house viewing but they all look really nice. Hard to pin point an exact area to focus on! x

OneMagnumisneverenough Mon 25-Apr-16 10:42:24

There is a new temporary head master at the high school. He seems nice. DSs are impressed that his talks are so short after the long talks from previous head. grin

his news letter was good and he has been outside welcoming in the pupils in the morning smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now