Talk

Advanced search

Can Paul have a dd called Polly?

(15 Posts)
olaflikeswarmhugs Sat 14-Nov-15 18:18:38

I had this in baby names but apparently in an English accent Paul and Polly sound different.

So, in the west of Scotland, can I have a dd Polly if DH is called Paul?

myotherusernameisbetter Sat 14-Nov-15 18:31:32

Personally unless you want everyone to think she was named after her dad, I wouldn't.

Imagine you were introducing them to someone, "this is Paul and this is Polly..." Also given the habit of adding "ie" onto virtually all names in the West e.g. Davie, Robbie, Jackie etc I would find it a bit weird.

What about Sally, Penny, Florrie, Kitty, Kizzy, Annie, Betsy, Jenny, Patsy - all have a similar vibe if that's the type of name you were going for.

olaflikeswarmhugs Sat 14-Nov-15 18:33:34

We liked Penny for a while but I changed my mind. See I do call DH Pauly sometimes. I don't think we can use it sad

myotherusernameisbetter Sat 14-Nov-15 18:35:43

I don't think we can use it

Unless you ditch him and get baby a new Daddy....or would he change his name? grin

olaflikeswarmhugs Sat 14-Nov-15 18:36:34

gringrin

From now on he shall be known as Bob grin

myotherusernameisbetter Sat 14-Nov-15 18:37:36

Bobby surely?? wink or is that Boaby??

olaflikeswarmhugs Sat 14-Nov-15 18:41:19

I say Bobby not Boabygrin Boaby is very glaswegian. I'm further west than that wink

And Boaby will always only be the barman in the Clansman on Still Game grin

myotherusernameisbetter Sat 14-Nov-15 18:45:06

I'm originally east coast and now a bit North of the Central belt so the subtleties of glaswegian geographical accents still mostly escape me smile

...and Still Game ahhhh might need a wee trip down memory lane on netflix later.

BloodyDogHairs Sat 14-Nov-15 18:49:14

Nope I wouldn't. What about Poppy?

Olddear Sun 15-Nov-15 06:43:37

Big pauly and wee polly?

LassWiTheWellStockitFarm Sun 15-Nov-15 21:19:01

It's a bit Nigel and Nigella Lawson.

FabergeEggs Sun 15-Nov-15 21:20:35

What's with the predilection for P's?

LassWiTheWellStockitFarm Sun 15-Nov-15 21:21:38

Which isn't good.

OldCrowMedicineShow Sun 15-Nov-15 21:24:43

Molly?

LassWiTheWellStockitFarm Sun 15-Nov-15 21:31:29

Oh good name OldCrow

Sorry OP but I was trying to think if Polly is a diminutive and it reminded me of Steve Coogan's terrible brother and sister characters Paul and Pauline Calf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now