Talk

Advanced search

Hurricane Abigail?

(21 Posts)
Ubik1 Thu 12-Nov-15 20:26:20

hows it going folks? Anyone on the islands? Are you battening down the hatches?

I have minor flooding in my living room...

ouryve Thu 12-Nov-15 20:31:55

I hate to imagine what it's like up there cos we're a long way south of you and just got caught in this as we were leaving Durham Lumiere.

Hope people are fairing OK flowersbrew

CQ Thu 12-Nov-15 20:33:37

Auntie's niece-in-law on the West coast got struck by lightening so hard it's blown every socket out of her walls shock

Take care everyone, it could be a long hard night.

amysmummy12345 Thu 12-Nov-15 20:35:37

Stay safe all xx

HermanHedgehog Thu 12-Nov-15 20:37:10

I'm right on the coast but in the South West, South Ayrshire to be exact. We had some awful rain earlier and its quite windy but so far nothing horrific despite lots of flood warnings.

Ubik1 Thu 12-Nov-15 20:38:19

It's eerily quiet here in Glasgow at the moment. Torrential downpours earlier (causing my front room to flood)

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 12-Nov-15 20:39:03

Had a 10minute mini storm in Glasgow earlier - hugely windy and absolutely throwing it down to the extent that all the roads immediately flooded.

Very quiet and still outside now.

MrsBalustradeLanyard Thu 12-Nov-15 20:40:34

It's awful one minute, then completely quiet the next. Mostly every time I think about nipping outside for a cigarette.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 12-Nov-15 20:40:43

Oh and not a hurricane , "just" a storm - the met office have decided to name storms this year too.

QueenLaBeefah Thu 12-Nov-15 20:40:59

Does anyone know what time the storm will be at its worst?

Igneococcus Thu 12-Nov-15 20:43:29

So far it's not as bad as forecast here at the coast in Northern Argyll but there has been hail and lightning besides all the wind and there are a few inches of water around the house.

Ubik1 Thu 12-Nov-15 20:44:59

I read somewhere that the winds will be gale force at around midnight - but I guess these predications change - like the weather

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 12-Nov-15 20:48:50

Amber warning from 1800 tonight to midday tomorrow...

Is anyone else amused by Abigail -> A big gale...?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 12-Nov-15 20:49:56

Apparently the storm surge is predicted to coincide with high rise.

flickyhair21 Thu 12-Nov-15 20:52:34

I'm in the north west Highlands and it's sounding quite rough out there now, think the worst is due about midnight.
We have had the lights flicker a few times and I have seen online that all the schools in the Western Isles will be closed tomorrow and that they have closed the causeways too.

People kept saying at work today how it "wasn't that bad" - which it wasn't at the time - but it has definitely picked up a lot since tea time.

They say it's due to continue until after rush hour/ school drop off time tomorrow. Think I might try and "work from home"

GoldenWondering Thu 12-Nov-15 21:09:23

Blowing a hoolie here. I am filling flasks. Don't expect to have power tomorrow morning. The rain was torrential earlier but that didn't last.

Ubik1 Thu 12-Nov-15 21:19:41

Wow Lochaber Mountain Rescue have just taken someone with chest injuries off Ben Nevis! On a route they described as 'certain death.'

Brave volunteers

Ubik1 Thu 12-Nov-15 21:21:25

'Predications'?
I meant predictions

dementedma Thu 12-Nov-15 21:21:42

Had a vile journey home in Central Scotland between 5 and 6 pm but has quietened down since then and all is calm at the moment.

QueenLaBeefah Thu 12-Nov-15 21:21:53

What sort of muppet goes hill walking in this weather? Thank goodness for the volunteers.

DansonslaCapucine Thu 12-Nov-15 21:23:03

I'm next to the beach on the West Coast. It's mighty windy out there. Blowin' a hoolie alright.

Cats are in and are staying in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: