Talk

Advanced search

Where do I go for a delicious afternoon tea in Edinburgh?

(31 Posts)
MrsHelenBee Sun 18-Oct-15 11:13:16

I've posted on here previously regarding the surprise trip to Edinburgh I was planning for my husband to mark our anniversary. I had LOADS of great tips for places to go, where to eat and where to stay, so I've got so many recommendations to go by, which is amazing, and I'm getting excited now - thank you lovely people!!!
I'm hoping to have a yummy afternoon tea somewhere on the day of our anniversary (Friday 30th October). Anyone had a delicious experience with sandwiches and cakes?
I've never done a proper afternoon tea but have heard people rave about tiered cake stands of the most scrummy food. I don't mind paying out a bit, and the menu at The Caledonian in the city sounded A-mazing, but at £32 a head, that's a bit beyond much for my budget!!
Can anyone out there help with some suggestions?

ALongTimeComing Sun 18-Oct-15 11:14:38

Check out Prestonfield house, a little out of the centre but very easy by bus.

TurnOffTheTv Sun 18-Oct-15 11:23:53

Tigerlilys?

SunshineAndShadows Sun 18-Oct-15 11:29:46

Look at love crumbs on Westport and also Mimis bakehouse in leith or cowgate - both delicious!

SunshineAndShadows Sun 18-Oct-15 11:30:49

Or try the roseleaf for a boost alternative!

SauvignonPlonker Sun 18-Oct-15 16:39:32

The Bonham is nice. Have a look at 5pm.com or Itison - they both regulatory have deals for afternoon teas (and lunches, dinners too!)

Alwaysinahurrynow Sun 18-Oct-15 16:51:59

The museum of Scotland does fab cakes and I think does an afternoon tea as do the art museums.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Sun 18-Oct-15 16:55:12

I've never been but was assured by a friend who lived in Edinburgh that Jenner's is the best place for afternoon tea and there is nowhere like it.

hilbil21 Sun 18-Oct-15 16:58:38

Mimis Bakehouse

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sun 18-Oct-15 16:59:09

this - it's £50 for two which is a pretty good deal and probably the best you'll get for the full, five star, silver cakestand and uniformed staff type of afternoon tea.

If that's too much then somewhere like Mimi's bakehouse does an equally good tea, just in much more casual surroundings.

cashewnutty Sun 18-Oct-15 17:05:50

The afternoon teas at the Waldorf Astoria (at the bottom of Lothian Road) alway look lovely.

Mushaboom Sun 18-Oct-15 17:08:19

We had afternoon tea at the balmoral and it was lovely - I think it was £25 a head.

weebarra Sun 18-Oct-15 17:21:13

I would second Prestonfield, was taken there for tea by a couple of friends to celebrate the end of chemo and it was lovely!

BigGlasses Sun 18-Oct-15 19:37:39

Colonnades at the signet library is wonderful www.thesignetlibrary.co.uk/colonnades/ . I went with a friend during the festival and it was so special. It's right in the centre of Edinburgh, just tucked behind St Giles cathedral.

The Balmoral Hotel is very central - right by Waverley station, and I have had some delicious food there. I haven't had afternoon tea there, but I can't imagine it falls below their very high standards.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Sun 18-Oct-15 19:41:43

God, not mimi's if you are looking for romance . Colonnades is meant to be amazing.

Groovee Sun 18-Oct-15 19:45:13

The Caledonian is over priced imo.

Tigerlily and Le Monde do nice ones.

My favourite is Norton House near the airport.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Sun 18-Oct-15 19:46:56

Harvey nicks is pricey but great location

Lones80 Sun 18-Oct-15 19:48:39

The Balmoral is great!

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 18-Oct-15 20:11:47

The Balmoral, definitely. Great afternoon tea and gorgeous surroundings. You can add bubbly if you want to start celebrating early.

HMF1 Mon 19-Oct-15 18:25:12

You could try the National Gallery afternoon tea £29.95 for 2 , there is an option to add a glass of fizz. The National Portrait Gallery also does this but I think the surroundings are better in the National Gallery, both are in the city centre.

WishICouldThinkOfACoolUsername Tue 20-Oct-15 18:45:03

The Roxburghe is lovely :-)

LizzieMacQueen Tue 20-Oct-15 22:26:45

You should look at the Howard Hotel in Great King Street.

myotherusernameisbetter Wed 21-Oct-15 22:29:26

Just saw this and thought it might whet your appetite for your trip smile

www.buzzfeed.com/hilarywardle/8-glorious-pub-walks-that-every-edinburgher-needs-to-try#.uu5gwy4gV

curriegirl Sun 25-Oct-15 15:59:22

Balmoral. Have done loads in Edinburgh from Sheraton to Caledonian and balmoral always comes out on top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now