Talk

Advanced search

holiday recommendation for scotland

(14 Posts)
buddhasbelly Sun 11-Oct-15 15:33:15

Hi all,

Looking for any recommendations from you wise people.

Will be taking dd on holiday end ofmarch who will be 2 for 3 nights. We did edinburgh last year but didn't get round it all so could go back. Trouble is she is getting really stubborn about going in the pram already so am thinking by 2 it could be a real mission to get her to stay in it and still be happy about it (dont want a holiday filled with tantrums). Edinburgh without a pram would just be hard work.

It'll just be me and dd, if anyone can think of other slightly less crowded options? I'm open to anything thats child friendly but that I might also enjoy too, oh and not sure if I will have a car then so public transport essential (I'm not asking for much grin)

buddhasbelly Sun 11-Oct-15 15:53:20

Any Scottish mners about? smile

buddhasbelly Sun 11-Oct-15 19:09:06

Anyone? blush

nooddsocksforme Sun 11-Oct-15 20:17:35

not sure what you are looking for in a short break with a 2year old. we used to take our kids to the coylumbridge in aviemore but that was many years ago-had a soft play and swimming pool and entertainment at night. Peebles has nice coffee shops etc and is near edinburgh but much smaller . Really depends what you like tho

biscuitkumquat Sun 11-Oct-15 20:22:17

We went to Carrbridge, very near Aviemore.

We stayed in the Fairwinds chalets, which were great.

In Carrbridge you have Landmark which is great fun for all ages.

There's loads to do around there, as PP mentions.

Drquin Sun 11-Oct-15 20:25:54

Crieff Hydro .... Hotel or self-catering. Plenty to do, or just chill. Train station at Crieff.

buddhasbelly Sun 11-Oct-15 20:51:30

Thanks pp's - sorry I wasn't very clear in what I was wanting was I? Preferably something with a zoo/safari/aquarium for a day trip, or some sort of adventure type thing (eg as pp said landmark) and a child friendly hotel.

Had looked at colyumbridge Hilton but fully booked on our dates (Easter week) but will check the crieff hydro and the chalets, thanks again smile

myotherusernameisbetter Mon 12-Oct-15 18:23:20

if you are not tied to school holidays, keep an eye out on the Coylumbridge as they do toddler breaks where there will be lots of wee ones about with extra entertainment put on by the hotel for that age group. They also have a childcare facility in the fun house which might be good if you want an our or two to yourself.

BearFoxBear Mon 12-Oct-15 18:25:45

Crieff Hydro is brilliant for that age group. We've just been with 3 children under 5, they had a ball.

myotherusernameisbetter Mon 12-Oct-15 18:27:44

Will you have a car? If so, then Stirling might suit, you have the safari park and also 2 or 3 adventure farm type places with jumping pillows and that sort of thing. There's a premier inn by the cinema too which can be good value and handy for town and there is a pool etc plenty of countryside about and also swans and ducks to be fed up at the Uni - can get the train into Glasgow or Edinburgh too if you fancy.

buddhasbelly Mon 12-Oct-15 19:05:25

Thanks all definitely narrowed down between crieff hydro and Stirling (coylumbridge out as am tied to these dates). I was at a conference in Stirling recently and really liked the place (quiet enough but easy access to bigger places). Not sure if I will have the car (had a seizure well over a year ago still waiting my licence back from dvla) but the safari park says that there's a bus to take us from Stirling centre.

Yup I think Stirling has won it thanks Mners smile our wee yearly trip away sorted!

BloodyDogHairs Mon 12-Oct-15 21:13:56

Yay I stay in Stirling grin I was going to suggest Wellsfield as they have log cabins and a big play park/indoor fun and horse riding but I'm not sure how public transport is there.

SauvignonPlonker Mon 12-Oct-15 21:51:08

Almond Valley in Livingston is great for kids, there's good public transport in Livingston. 3 sisters Zoo is a good trip too.There's also Edinburgh zoo.

Briarlands farm near Stirling is also good for that age group.

dementedma Mon 12-Oct-15 21:55:33

I work in Stirling, its lovely. Dd is at the uni and the campus is nice and has a pond with ducks etc. Don't know about stuff for wee ones as mine are older, but the Castle is very good but expensive if you aren't a member of Historic Scotland.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now