Talk

Advanced search

HND at college and paternity leave

(13 Posts)
mayaknew Sat 01-Aug-15 17:43:19

Dh is starting an HND at Glasgow City college in a couple weeks . I'm due dc3 due in February . Will he get any paternity leave from the course ?

Will it affect his student loan ? And more importantly will the college allow him to take a couple weeks off and continue on the course ?

purplemurple1 Sat 01-Aug-15 17:54:35

I've not studied in Scotland but where I studied in England, neither parent got official parental leave but you could apply for mitigating circumstances and get extensions on course work if you needed.
It made no diff to the loan.

mayaknew Sat 01-Aug-15 18:10:08

Thanks purple . I've looked on SAAS website and googled but I can't find anything at all !!

Surely with the amount of mature students these days this is fairly common ? Maybe not every year but he can't be the first student with a pregnant missus gringrin

Stripeysocksarecool Sun 02-Aug-15 10:59:50

Why on earth would you expect to get paternity leave from studying? Paternity leave is what you get when you have a job. For a definitive answer your DH should ask the college.

mayaknew Sun 02-Aug-15 11:10:36

Because life doesn't stop just because you are studying confused

I'm a student and I get normal mat leave .

GloriaPritchett Sun 02-Aug-15 12:23:13

I think he'd only get two weeks, sorry. Isn't an HND only 15 hours a week?

here

But it does say that a change is pending in policy.

ClaudiusMaximus Sun 02-Aug-15 12:30:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

toddlersareeasier Sun 02-Aug-15 12:38:24

An HND is 15 hours or 3 days a week... you really don't need paternity leave.

Stripeysocksarecool Sun 02-Aug-15 13:06:46

15 hours a week??! Is it a course you are meant to do part time? Difficult to see how or why you would need paternity leave from a course which is 15 hours a week.

mayaknew Sun 02-Aug-15 13:12:16

Claudius don't you mean didn't we look into it before discussing whether DH should do the HND ? Which is exactly what we are doing now .

I know it's only 3 days a week but it's still 3 days of out the house 8-5 .

Two weeks will be fine that's all he will get from work as well .

I'm just worried that if he took a couple weeks off he would get kicked off the course and all his hard work would be wasted .

mayaknew Sun 02-Aug-15 13:17:28

It's all well and good saying it's only 15 hours per week but each day those hours aren't consecutive . Last year he done an HNC and was in hours like 9-11 then 1-4 . That's 5 hours a day but still dragged out a while working day IYSWIM .

Anyway we are as well contacting the college I thought people on MN may have had a similar situation in the past and could advise how their DH worked it . Thanks everyone smile

toddlersareeasier Sun 02-Aug-15 15:42:08

I'm just worried that if he took a couple weeks off he would get kicked off the course and all his hard work would be wasted.

Why would he get kicked off? That would only happen if he didn't bother showing up for six weeks and just called it paternity leave.

purplemurple1 Tue 04-Aug-15 21:16:06

I've also done this in Sweden (and England) both times I just went back asap and caught up on my work and got notes from others on the course.
Hope you managed to sort something out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now