Talk

Advanced search

Nurseries and working mums

(11 Posts)
Tinkermum24 Mon 06-Jul-15 13:20:20

Hi everyone

I am new to Scotsnet and the UK.

I will be relocating to Glasgow, East Renfrewshire towards the middle of the month. I have an almost 4 year old that will be starting nursery school in August (part of the funded 3 hours)

I would like to get some views on how you mums manage being employed and sending kids to school/creche. Do you send them to the creche in the morning (i.e. 7-9) then they start the funded care (9-12) then you send them to creche again in the afternoon (12-6) until you come home from work?

I would like to start work, but I am clueless on how the creche system works? Is it that expensive that most mums opt to stay at home since the salaries are almost the same as childcare costs?

Any views or thoughts are welcome

Thank you smile

ttlshiwwya Mon 06-Jul-15 14:56:29

Hi,
I'm in South Lanarkshire rather than East Renfrewshire and went with a private nursery who could provide full wrap-around care as the school nurseries in my area couldn't provide this (or if they could it was reserved for people with greater needs). I preferred the private nursery as it avoided my DCs having to be shuffled about. However some of my friends successfully used a child-minder in combination with the school nursery but I remember them saying that not all child minders were willing to do this.

I was lucky that in my area there was insufficient capacity in the school nurseries so 3 hours per day at privates nurseries were paid for however I think in some areas this isn't the case anymore. I worried a bit that if my kids didn't go to the school nursery then it would be more difficult for them to settle to school but in fact there were lots of children at private nursery who went to the same school and they were good with visits to the school etc.

It is expensive but I'm lucky to be well paid so my salary was much more than the childcare costs. But even if it wasn't I would have still worked (I like my job) and I'd seen colleagues struggle to come back after 5+ years of absence.

Good luck. In my experience it got easier (and cheaper) when my kids went to school.

Tinkermum24 Mon 06-Jul-15 15:18:09

Hello

thanks for the reply.

If you don't mind me asking how much is the private day cost for the whole day. I have searched private nurseries and some of them that are available are abit far out from where I will be living.

Its such a nightmare planning the logistics around this confused

ttlshiwwya Tue 07-Jul-15 09:31:16

Hi,

My kids are older now but I looked up current prices at the private nursery I used - it is currently £25 per day and £135 per week (5 days) for a funded child aged 3-5 years for 7am-6pm with all meals, snacks and drinks provided by the nursery. I think if you don't get government funding then it goes up to £170 per week. However I live in South Lanarkshire and I suspect it is much cheaper here compared to East Renfrewshire.

cazzyg Tue 07-Jul-15 18:48:42

For the ante pre school year, I used the funding in the private nursery she attended. If the nursery is in partnership with the council, you can use the funding.

Many councils don't have enough places and use private nursery to take up the slack.

For pre school year, she went to the nursery attached to the class. Private nursery dropped off and picked up but it cost extra. Was worth it though to get her into the school.

Tinkermum24 Wed 08-Jul-15 08:41:25

Thanks for sharing

This is such a nightmare

I heard of other nice areas in Glasgow, but since we moving from abroad we played it safe and settled for East Ren. It is very pricey and now looking we could have found places twice the size for the amount we currently paying now...so once we land we will be on the look out again.

How are the schools in South Lanarkshire? How is the area?

Off topic but are there Any other nice areas that you would recommend us looking into?

eltsihT Wed 08-Jul-15 08:48:46

We live in East Ayrshire, and while the schools haven't got as good a reputation as East ren. I am very happy with the primaries, more worried about the high schools. And love the community I live in (just been here 3 years)

My ds aged 2 goes to a child minder £35 from 7 - 5pm as ds aged 4 goes to wraparound at the school nursery (7.15-6) £15.

eltsihT Wed 08-Jul-15 08:50:43

Lots of people I know who use private nurseries take the DC on the train to Glasgow and drop them off on the way to the office. Most people round here use childminders until they can start school

Groovee Wed 08-Jul-15 10:16:53

When my son was at school nursery, he went to a childminder who took him to nursery and picked him up again.

Other parents use private nursery which usually has longer hours.

Rangirl Thu 09-Jul-15 08:24:37

To some extent it depends on your job/hours In my experience using local authority nurseries does not work well with full time professional type jobs as the hours are not enough You need to get a childminder to cover the additional hours And holidays I kept mine in private nursery until school It opened virtually 365 days a year 8 til 6
My dc normally did a lot less hours but the cover was there

Cost a fortune but worth it

I then changed hours to do 10 to 2 when they went to school as in my experience that is even more difficult to cover

Housing in East Ren is expensive as lots of people move there out of Glasgow because the schools in East Ren have such a good reputation

Almost everyone I know either moved to East Ren or East Dunbartonshire

Or stayed in Glasgow and went private

That's not to say that lots of individual kids don't do really well in Glasgow schools (I did)grin

But the overall statistics are not good,sadly, and people like to play it safe

Shenanagins Fri 10-Jul-15 23:13:12

Many of us who work full time use partnership private nurseries. These will give you your funded free care and also the additional care you will need if you are working full time hence no ferrying to and fro different care providers during the day.

As for other places to look, check out south Lanarkshire and East Dunbartonshire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now