Talk

Advanced search

How has Buchanan Galleries got so shit?

(23 Posts)
AgentProvocateur Fri 03-Jul-15 22:39:01

Ok, this should probably be in Glasgow Local, but it's a slow moving board. I was in Buchanan Galleries yesterday for the first time in months, and it was awful. Loads of empty units, shit kiosks, dirty toilets with no taps working. I remember when it opened, with Ottakers etc ( showing my age here!) and it was shiny and vibrant. Currently, it looks like the next Savoy Centre.

Ubik1 Fri 03-Jul-15 22:45:09

I only ever go in John Lewis. Everything's nice and safe in John a Lewis.

Tbh the whole of Sauchiehall Street is suffering with empty units and a real down-at-heel atmosphere.

Not as bad as union street/argyle street junction though which appears to attract bands of street urchins and Fagan-like characters.

AgentProvocateur Fri 03-Jul-15 22:50:09

Me too. My usual trajectory is John Lewis, White Company (Buchanan St), Waterstones and Schuh (Sauchiehall St) and home.

BlueThursday Sat 04-Jul-15 08:11:59

I heard yesterday the expansions come to a halt too.

Where did the car wash people go? They were the only reason I ever parked there

prettybird Sat 04-Jul-15 08:46:35

I like Lakeland Plastic too. Think there's now a Ness in there, but not been to it.

At least with the plans on hold, the steps will be "saved" for the moment smile

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 04-Jul-15 08:57:22

The rent in there is absolutely extortionate, to the level that even well established popular high Street shops would think twice - and obviously do.

I'm also glad the plans have been put on hold, although it is slightly worrying that the developer doesn't think it is financially viable. I think the galleries are too big to fail completely although they are getting pretty grim,kind of like the St Enoch centre before the big revamp.

SantanaLopez Sat 04-Jul-15 15:39:05

I'd forgotten about Ottakers!

Has the car par opened again? I hate the stairwells and the lift in Concert Hall so I've been going to Silverburn and the new Marks at the Fort. I mourn the Borders that was there.

YY, Sauchiehall St is grim.

Ubik1 Sat 04-Jul-15 17:27:52

I do like the big Paperchase and I like Cos in Princes Square -although that shopping mall seems to have disappeared up its own backside.

I was introduced to Watt Bros by a colleague but find it slightly intimidating. Those ladies have sharp elbows.

TheTroubleWithAngels Sat 04-Jul-15 19:31:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CatsRule Sun 05-Jul-15 13:36:44

I remember Ottakers too and I miss Borders at the Fort!

My dh had never heard of Fat Facegrin

I work near Sauchiehall Street and it's depressing!

I go from the train, sometimes to Sainsburys, then work...work then home.

I really dislike working in town one of many many reasons I'd love a new job

Olddear Sun 05-Jul-15 19:04:09

Ny nephew worked in ottakers as a student! He was sorry when it closed down because he really liked as a good bookshop. Watt bros.... Lovely for a nice anorak for a bus run!

LassUnparalleled Fri 10-Jul-15 00:28:52

What's Princess Square like these days?

Even a dyed in the wool why would you want to live anywhere but Edinburgh Edinburgher like me loved it when it opened but I haven't been in it for years.

AgentProvocateur Sat 11-Jul-15 00:07:10

Didn't realise this thread was still going blush Sorry. What does one buy in Watt Bros, except Sloggis and hairdryers? (Worried I'm missing out on some great buys!) It looks like extension to BG isn't going ahead, so parking as normal. Princes Square is OK if you're going for a specific shop, like SpaceNK, but it's too dear to browse. Bars and restaurants are ok still.

I'd love a good bookshop, and some independent shops, like Virginia Galleries used to be in the early '80s

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Sat 11-Jul-15 00:59:35

Buchanan St is nearly unrecognisable to me now. I used to work in the Apple Store, before it was the Apple Store & before the shop that was there before Apple Store was there (some furniture place whose name escapes me). I was quite puzzled to see the Hard Rock Cafe too. When did that happen? I think I've been living in a cave, cos I'd no idea half of these places had popped up. I do like the stationary shop - is it paper-chase? It fascinates me how these places actually make enough to survive. My new favourite place to loiter (since getting a coffee machine from Santa) is Whittards. Passed that for years without ever stepping inside & now it's my fav retail escapism spot. I can procrastinate over coffee beans for an obscene length of time grin And even tho BG is a bit shit these days (agree with you there OP) I still love a mooch in Lakeland. smile

CatsRule Sat 11-Jul-15 19:23:45

The Pier was the name of the furniture shop before Apple took over our world!

AyeAmarok Mon 13-Jul-15 00:06:16

I buys irons and dishwasher tablets in Watt Brothers.

I think I might have bought baking trays there once too. Great for bargains!

lem73 Mon 13-Jul-15 00:09:08

Princes Square is still great after all these years but I miss the food court upstairs. I love getting a cappuccino and people watching!

prettybird Mon 13-Jul-15 07:26:10

It's the coffee shop downstairs and the beautiful mosaic. Even before I had ds, I loved to watch kids playing on the mosaic with parents watching while they had coffee or sitting on the steps.

Mumteedum Mon 13-Jul-15 07:37:58

Feeling nostalgic for when I lived in Glasgow in late nineties.

Am I getting the shopping centres mixed up? Is Buchanan galleries the one they built later, at top of Buchanan st/sauchihall st? And princes square is tge one with the naice shops and lovely wooden stairs. Used to get trainees in vidal sassoon to cut my hair there!

Mumteedum Mon 13-Jul-15 07:40:30

Feel like Glasgow was really at its best when I was there but it always has peaks and troughs. Wonderful city. <sigh>smile

prettybird Mon 13-Jul-15 08:12:42

No - your memory is correct: Buchanan Galleries is the big centre at the top of Buchanan Street and Princes Square is the smaller upmarket courtyard atrium one. But as often happens on MN threads, the conversation had morphed into recollections of Princes Square.

Mumteedum Mon 13-Jul-15 16:51:06

Prettybird, thanks. Been too long since I visited. Love Glasgow and the weegies smile

Buchanan galleries was new and had trendy shops like mango, levi and zara as I moved away. Shame if it's gone downhill.

popcornpaws Wed 15-Jul-15 13:08:44

I used to go to vidal sassoon to get my hair cut then go downstairs to the cafe for a cappuccino and the best millionaire shortie ever!
I also loved the pier, was versed when it closed, i could spend hours in there.
But back to the subject, yes buchannan galleries is shit, john lewis is the only shop i go to now, we usually get the subway over to the west end now, much better for a mooch around and not all the usual shops and food places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now