Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got a DC starting High School in the central belt?

(17 Posts)
BloodyDogHairs Thu 25-Jun-15 16:15:43

I'm just wondering what the going rate is for lunch money these days?

haggisaggis Thu 25-Jun-15 16:18:07

I'm not central - Tayside - but I give them each £ 10 per week but usually have to give a bit extra by Friday.

prettybird Thu 25-Jun-15 18:02:24

I think Glasgow is £1.70 for school lunches. Ds takes packed lunches which he makes himself, but gets his lunch money from me (it encourages him to prepare good for himself). Once a week/fortnight he treats himself to lunch out - think it costs about £2 or so.

When he was in S1, they weren't allowed off the school premises. That's a policy that varies between schools - I suspect dependent on how much of a social/restaurant area the school has.

WankerDeAsalWipe Thu 25-Jun-15 18:20:32

Mine already at High school but take packed lunch usually - I think a meal and a drink comes to over £2. from the school menu though.

WankerDeAsalWipe Thu 25-Jun-15 18:21:49

I don't think there is any rule about not going out at DSs' school, but they only get 40 minutes and nearest shop is about 20 minutes away smile

BloodyDogHairs Thu 25-Jun-15 21:06:25

Thanks all, my DS is terrible with money so I think I'll start him £10 on mondays and see how he goes. There is a few local shops around the school but I'm unsure of how much the meal deals are.

Now just the dreaded school uniform list to work my way thru.

WankerDeAsalWipe Thu 25-Jun-15 21:14:06

I've organised most of the uniform for next year but DS1 will need another new Blazer as there is a lot of wrist hanging below his current one - doesn't really need it any broader, just longer. I'm going in tomorrow afternoon when school breaks up to get it bought/ordered as it's an unusual colour with only one supplier so if you don't get it early, you can be left without - not so bad in the later years where they can make do with their old one, but important for first year. That's if your school has a strict uniform policy.

BloodyDogHairs Thu 25-Jun-15 21:37:09

Our high school has a strict policy, I'm planning on going to the uniform shop on Monday....not looking forward to buying for 1 ds starting nursery another ds starting high school and a fussy dd needing 6th year stuff.

Groovee Thu 25-Jun-15 21:39:42

We don't need lunch on a Friday but they get £5 on a Monday and top up if needs be.

tilliebob Fri 26-Jun-15 14:50:30

My teens usually get £10 a week but they have to pay it onto ruddy machines at school which then loads the balance onto their cards. The machine hate paper money so DH and I are always hoarding £1 coins. Now that the eldest is in S5, I've started giving him a couple of pounds more if he needs it. However he always eats in the school canteen whereas DD will toddle off down the street. We were supposed to be able to load card balances online "soon"- but we were told that when DS was going into S1. One of his friends gets a fiver a day shockshock and another gets £3.50 naw luck DS but he's never complained.

ChristmasEnthusiast Fri 26-Jun-15 16:18:37

Free school meals are credited £2.20 a day at high school, £1.85 at primary.

OOAOML Sun 28-Jun-15 11:21:37

Ours apparently have cash loaders for cards, but school couldn't answer our questions on guideline amounts just suggested sending them in with 10 or 20 and seeing how long it lasted. Think they are kept in school for first term then have option to go out (shuffling down to Asda seems to be the norm). Not sure what we will do, DD has had packed lunches through primary so might continue with that. No idea what standard of food is, looked pretty dire at primary (lots of chips, all cooked off site, over boiled veg and a lot of cake and custard). Secondary school canteen at least cooks on premises, hope menu will be better.

BloodyDogHairs Sun 28-Jun-15 13:18:07

I was looking thru the school info tonight and it says free school meals are credited onto cards at £2.40 shock I'm hoping he'll find the school food rubbish/lines too long like my dd did and opt for a sandwich in his bag.

WankerDeAsalWipe Sun 28-Jun-15 13:23:14

I think in first year they tend to go a bid mad and spend a fair bit (break time waffles etc) - they also get to go for lunch slightly earlier in 1st year in DSs school so they think it's normal to be able to get whatever they want on the lunch menu. Ime when they have to go at the same time as everyone else, they are happier to take a packed lunch to avoid the queues etc and they also get bored with the menu pretty quickly. They do a 3 week rotation here but some of the meals are repeated and as mine are quite fussy they have a limited range of what they like.

Mrsjayy Sun 28-Jun-15 13:28:36

I would budget £3 a day for him maybe give him it on a monday to put on his card.

WankerDeAsalWipe Sun 28-Jun-15 13:30:50

oops, they don't get to go earlier for lunch for the whole of first year, just a few weeks smile

DSs forget that they were first years at one point and now complain that the new first years get in the way and sit in their seats etc how quickly the time goes goes.

BloodyDogHairs Tue 18-Aug-15 17:17:19

So DS started school today, I gave him £3.00 plus juice/water for break and lunch. He spent 50p on a half pizza at the local shop then 50p on sweets walking home from school. I thought he would've spent it all but I have told him he needs to eat more at lunch so I will pack a few snacks to keep in his bag/locker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now