Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

can I get a fake/spray tan considering I'm chalk white with freckles?

(19 Posts)
ssd Tue 16-Jun-15 20:11:45

don't murder me here....am obviously an amateur in all this grin

I'm typical Scottish, red hair, freckles, burns in the sun, white skin with a tinge of blue...

thing is, am going on holiday soon and want to start off not being so utterly white as usual, I wont tan as I use factor 50 and the sun doesnt get near me, but I wondered about getting some fake tan stuff, or even heaven forbid, getting a spray tan thingy...

has anyone any advice?

am very low maintenance and cant be faffed with hassle....

patterkiller Tue 16-Jun-15 20:15:27

I am very pale and asked the lady who does my brows about, eek, a spray tan before holidays last year. She recommended the bridal colour which is lovely and subtle although I did panic initially as I was the colour of a club biscuit until it washed off.

My only issue was it washed off in the pool quite patchy do I ended up scrubbing myself with exfoliating mitts to get an even colour.

MarjoryStewartBaxter Tue 16-Jun-15 20:23:08

I have exactly the same complexion and use Garnier Summer Body in Light. Need to reapply every couple of days but doesn't turn my skin the same colour as my hair which is always a bonus grin.

You can apply it with your hands but Boots do a a thin sponge fake tan mitt that helps avoid brown palms.

prettybird Tue 16-Jun-15 20:56:28

A former work colleague who was just as you describe swore by Johnson's Golden Glow Shower wash (I think that's its correct name) as it builds up colour gradually.

I've used Clinique fake tan successfully. It's not very strong and usually needs a couple of applications in order to build up but if you layer it thinly and work it in well, it will last a few days.

lavendersun Tue 16-Jun-15 21:03:07

I wouldn't do it ssd, and I say that as someone who has embraced her blue tinged skin.

I am low maintenance, don't do sun. I think that you are better off being yourself.

If it washed off in a patchy way would you regret it? If not perhaps it is for you. I know that I would rather be 'blue' all over than any other colour in patches.

prettybird Tue 16-Jun-15 21:16:35

BTW: rub the Clinique moisturiser fake tan in all over preferably when you're in the nude but don't go to bed straight away as you'll get stained sheets. Leave it 20 minutes to fully dry off/activate.

It won't wash off once it's activated grin

NapoleonsNose Tue 16-Jun-15 21:22:35

I've got a similar skin tone to you OP and I had a Fake Bake spray tan a couple of years ago before I went on holiday. The girl doing it was able to control the shade so I asked for quite a light colour and I went a nice pale gold colour which was just right for my hair and skin tone. It lasted pretty well too, even going in and out of the pool.

BlueThursday Wed 17-Jun-15 08:38:33

If you're near one, the Hot salons do a tanning booth and can be done very light.

It doesn't come off in the pool easily I always get one before holidays

ssd Wed 17-Jun-15 21:33:36

what does a tanning booth involve?

kinkyfuckery Wed 17-Jun-15 21:36:04

I find a light spray St Tropez or Fake Bake works well on my pale skin

BlueThursday Thu 18-Jun-15 08:48:20

It's all automated so ideal for anyone not keen on someone spraying them.

You stand in the booth and follow the directions to make a few poses and a spray goes over you, from head to foot. You're then dried off and that's you. Takes about 10 mins and your tan develops over the next 12 hours.

There's varying degrees of darkness so can be from light to full on TOWIE

If you do consider it, avoid moisturising soaps like dove for the days leading up to the tan as it can act like a barrier to the tan

ssd Thu 18-Jun-15 20:36:16

that sounds good blue, I wouldnt like someone being subjected to splaying my body the poor buggers so that would suit me and theres a salon near me, think I'll give them a phone...can you recommend how close to going abroad it should be done and if it washes off and looks streaky whilst you're away?

ssd Thu 18-Jun-15 20:36:59

splaying

jesus blush

SPRAYING

grin

BlueThursday Thu 18-Jun-15 21:06:58

I'd say 2 days before you go. I've never had it go streaky I think it's brilliant. A little does come off on towels and clothes but not masses

ssd Thu 18-Jun-15 21:37:29

thanks, is it ok in the pool too?

BlueThursday Thu 18-Jun-15 22:03:44

Chlorine might speed up the rate of it fading but it won't be in the pool tanned and out the pool peely wally!

ssd Fri 19-Jun-15 07:42:49

grin

its the half tanned, half peely wally look I worry about! grin

Molecule Fri 19-Jun-15 08:05:29

I have the same colouring as you ssd and use the tanning booths before parties etc. I have a light one and it is really good, each time someone always says how well I'm looking, and although it might not be totally even it's better than anything I can manage at home. They seem to last around two weeks, and my tanning place offers cheap deals for the more you have.

FrantasticO Mon 20-Jul-15 21:54:03

Just back from holiday, and sorry but the pool water and sea salt does remove fake get tan noticeably.
Be prepared for patches or to keep reapplying fake ran.
I went away slightly brown came home peely wally!
Had a great time and have decided in future to embrace the palour grin
Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now