Talk

Advanced search

Alistair Carmichael...

(17 Posts)
HirplesWithHaggis Fri 22-May-15 16:45:39

...must resign. angry £1.4 million on an enquiry when all he had to do was admit the truth.

JackSkellington Fri 22-May-15 17:43:32

Agreed, but I think he believes an insincere apology will be enough.

Iggi999 Fri 22-May-15 17:48:21

How self destructive, what an eejit

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 22-May-15 17:51:38

<Copied from another thread>

Indeed. Whatever you think of SNP/ a devolved scotland you cannot have the Scottish Secretary, the head of the Scottish Office trying to discredit the leader of the Scottish parliament, and then lying about it.

If I was one of his constituents I would be mightily pissed off to be represented by such a scheming barefaced liar.

Bet he doesn't resign though - there is no way a lib dem candidate would win the by election.

HirplesWithHaggis Fri 22-May-15 18:19:34

Ah, sorry, haven't seen another thread. I'm just so bloody furious about it. angry Slipping the news out at 4pm on the Friday of a Bank Holiday weekend just compounds it somehow.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 22-May-15 18:28:11

I know. I think I was the only person who replied in the other thread. Sadly I think most people just don't really give a shit (or think that all politicians are at it anyway)

prettybird Fri 22-May-15 18:29:25

Incredibly cynical manipulation.

He knew that the truth would come out at some point anyway - and the cost of the enquiry doesn't come from his pocket just all of ours angry - but by that point he would be re-elected - and he probably suspected that he'd no longer be Scottish Secretary of State, so the comment that he "would've resigned" hmm is a meaningless cop-out angry

HirplesWithHaggis Fri 22-May-15 18:46:02

I thought it was interesting at the time that the Telegraph managed to get a comment from Willie Rennie, but couldn't contact/didn't bother their arses asking Nicola or the French Embassy what had actually happened. And it was despicable that msm ran with it hours after both had denied it.

Pleased to read that #CarmichaelMustGo was top trend in the Glasgow area, and second UK wide about half an hour ago.

APlaceOnTheCouch Fri 22-May-15 18:50:38

If he had any principles, he would have admitted his role and resigned when it happened. Then he could have stood at the GE and at least his constituents would have known exactly who they were voting for.

HirplesWithHaggis Fri 22-May-15 18:58:03

His twitter handle is @acarmichaelmp. Some poor soul in Chatanooga @acarmichael is being very gracious atm. grin

prettybird Fri 22-May-15 18:58:18

hmm Principles???hmm

StillFrankie Fri 22-May-15 20:27:25

He was wrong to allow the leaking of the memo, not just because we already knew she wanted the Tories to win.

HirplesWithHaggis Fri 22-May-15 20:31:26

If she wanted the Tories to win, why did she say she'd never support them, and why did she offer to prop up a minority Labour gvt? hmm

MrsAmaretto Thu 28-May-15 18:32:46

To be honest I really can't be arsed with the hassle of a by-election.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 28-May-15 20:07:33

Unless you live in Orkney/Shetland its not really down to you. If you do, then just don't vote....

MrsAmaretto Thu 28-May-15 21:14:44

I do smile And I don't think there's much discussion up here about his possible resignation. No one at work, the hairdressers or the school gate is discussing it anyway.

HirplesWithHaggis Fri 29-May-15 02:40:03

www.scottishlegal.com/2015/05/28/the-people-versus-carmichael-what-would-have-to-be-proven-for-legal-action-to-succeed/

They might be discussing it a bit more if this goes ahead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now