Talk

Advanced search

Which losing MPs do you think we'll see in Holyrood next year?

(9 Posts)
Jackieharris Fri 08-May-15 12:51:55

Jim Murphy seems determined to carry on.

Imo it might actually have a good impact on the Scottish parliament to have some very experienced politicians in there.

Since devolution some parties do seem to put their best candidates to WM and the dregs that are left end up in holyrood!

Unless some of them get good offers from business (maybe danny alexander and douglas alexander?) I think quite a few of the others will try such as Charles Kennedy, Michael Moore,jo swinson, cathy jamieson, Katy Clarke.

Jackieharris Fri 08-May-15 13:59:12

Forgot to add curran and sarwar.

slicedfinger Fri 08-May-15 14:03:08

Well that could be one good thing to come from this. Traditionally the best political minds have gone to Westminster I think. The Scottish Parliament will need some truly brilliant people to deal with what will come their way in the coming years. I do not for one second think the Tories will look north and support the Scottish government.

Jackieharris Sat 09-May-15 09:42:18

Yes I think that's a fair criticism of the Scottish Parliament. The unionist parties have always seen it as 'second tier' and send their cream to wm leaving some fairly second rate candidates to holyrood.

Now there are some decent Scottish politicians looking for work and an election in 12 months time it's quite well timed for improving the caliber of holyrood.

Behooven Sat 09-May-15 09:48:47

I'd be happy to see them in Holyrood - it would be good to have capable politicians (for a change) provide some challenge and rigour to the separatist parties.

NiceBitOfCheese Sat 09-May-15 10:10:30

With the list system, I see it as very likely. They all have a year to get themselves up to speed with devolved issues, beef up their local support.

Referendum, GE2015, Scottish elections 2016, EU referendum 2017 - this is what living through history feels like!

prettybird Sat 09-May-15 10:49:23

I think we will see a lot of them at a Holyrood. However, I think they'll have to a have a policy of putting them forward both as constituency MSPs AND top of the regional lists (am I right in recollecting that in the 1st Holyrood elections, Labour had a policy of NOT doing so, but has since softened that stance?).
If they don't, they may still find themselves out in the cold.....

Jackieharris Sat 09-May-15 14:17:51

Yes I think labour messed up on their lists last time. Ironically it's how kezia got in!

The lib dem ones will surely get to the top of their regional lists. I don't think they'll win fptp other than Orkney & Shetland.

Afaik labour fptp msps get to keep their candidacies, unlike the SNP ones who have to be renominates every time.

This is what will make it hard for the likes of Murphy to get back in.

prettybird Sat 09-May-15 14:43:14

I'm sure Labour will change that rule! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now