Talk

Advanced search

Robin in my utility room

(51 Posts)
CisMyArse Wed 09-May-18 06:23:08

Been away for the weekend and upon opening the door to my tiny utility room, I was met with a bundle of leaves and various stuff scattered on the floor and a perfectly formed nest in the crook of my kit bag hanging on the wall. It seems a little Robin has worked feverishly all weekend, flying in and out of the tiny open window, to build its home.

Would it be the same one that took residence underneath my shed? Either way, there was plenty of coming and going since my husband cleared all the laundry while I was away.

I can happily leave my kit bag until the robin is gone and it's no pain to clean up after the poop but is this workable? Can we enter the room daily, sometimes much more, use a noisy laundry and tumble dirier, sort recycling etc? Without disturbing them? What should I do?

MollyHuaCha Wed 09-May-18 06:43:17

Aww, how lovely.

Here's what you do... you leave the robin in peace for eggs to be laid, chicks hatched, fledglings raised etc.

In the meantime, start saving up your coins because you'll be doing all your washing at the local launderette.

In a few months time, when all the littl'uns have flown the nest, you may regain use of your utility room.

Don't worry about the bird poop which will be absolutely everywhere - on the walls, down the backs of appliances etc. You can feel proud that you have helped Mother Nature.

And for next year, get a wooden nesting box on an outside wall. 

Iputthescrewinthetuna Wed 09-May-18 07:43:37

Awww, that is lovely! Are you able to take a pic without disturbing?
I would possibly find a laundrette for a few months too, or ask my Mum - she loves washing!
I know that it seems inconvenient, however as PP said, you are helping mother nature.

Really not sure on the loudness of machines would be disturbing.

CisMyArse Wed 09-May-18 19:37:44

Will happily take a pic.
I don't know how laundry will work - we both work full time, 3 different sports kits and school uniform. Desperate to leave them in peace - will they get used to the background noise?!

CisMyArse Wed 09-May-18 19:50:30

It's a perfectly snug round nest. Unbelievably circular!

putputput Wed 09-May-18 19:57:58

Oh how exciting. Can you phone a local wildlife centre and ask their advice?

Efferlunt Wed 09-May-18 20:01:19

Aw how lovely. Robins used to nest in the ivy outside my bedroom window as a child. The babies sounded like tiny whistling kettles. Very cute.

CisMyArse Mon 14-May-18 06:56:35

3 eggs!

MollyHuaCha Mon 14-May-18 08:21:54

It's turning into a birthing (hatching) thread. Yay!

CisMyArse Wed 16-May-18 20:40:41

5 eggs today!

CisMyArse Wed 16-May-18 20:42:45

DH has pulled our 3 recycling bins outside the room and we are not doing any washing of clothes (oh god) in there. Mammoth laundry job coming up in local launderette.

We can't help but gently go in now and again but we hope to be able to leave little robin in semi-peace until she's done.

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 16-May-18 20:43:22

How's the laundry situation?

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 16-May-18 20:44:14

X post!

How lovely. You are good people star

ragged Wed 16-May-18 20:44:50

5 eggs!! Wow. We had a robin do this once, but we couldn't stop using the conservatory, so I think they abandoned nest (boohoo).

CisMyArse Wed 16-May-18 20:46:35

It's not good. Clothes everywhere at the moment - did an essential hand wash in the sink and our rads have them hanging off them everywhere.

I'm hoping for an enormous wash in my local laundry on Saturday morning - that should sort things for this week.

CisMyArse Wed 16-May-18 20:48:41

Ragged - that's my worst nightmare tbh. I think this is the same robin that nested under our she's last year and her fledglings used to swing on my clothes line while being fed and shit all over my clean clothes grin. I wish I could communicate that she's safe with us despite being a naturally noisy family.

CisMyArse Wed 16-May-18 20:49:20

*our shed

SealSong Wed 16-May-18 20:52:58

Ahh how lovely! We need baby robin updates, of course smile

CisMyArse Sun 20-May-18 21:04:24

We're up to 6 eggs shock

CisMyArse Sun 20-May-18 21:06:48

I sneaked in quietly earlier and robin eyeballed me from her cozy little nest. She flew off her nest and out the window and sat on the fence until I was finished then flew back in. The partnership seems to be working but I admit to not looking forward to poop everywhere once they start fledging.

dudsville Sun 20-May-18 21:11:28

Aw! Lots of pics please! Luckily Robins are very people oriented. I'm no ornithologist so I'm nearing this on the Robins in my own garden who make it their purpose to sirens time with us when we're in our garden, with our dog. Shouldn't be too long before you get your utility room back.

CisMyArse Thu 31-May-18 07:43:44

Left it a week and I've had a quick look whilst mum is out and about and each egg has hatched. Lots of little bodies and hopefully they're all ok. So tiny!

I've tried to post pics but failed miserably - I'll try once more. First pic of 6 eggs and today's pic of hatchlings.

SealSong Thu 31-May-18 22:11:35

Ahh that's lovely! Wishing all the best for the babies and mum robin smile

CisMyArse Fri 01-Jun-18 22:43:28

Fingers crossed the pics will upload...

CisMyArse Fri 01-Jun-18 22:46:00

...and just before they hatched...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: