Talk

Advanced search

to think slow worms are lovley

(156 Posts)
suzziearoundtheworld Tue 30-Jun-15 21:14:12

I have a lot of them in my garden, I've left parts overgrown for them and have made a great deal of effort to stop cats coming in. But no one else seems to like them, almost every friend is shit scared of these lovely things. Its such a shame they are native and at risk

redcaryellowcar Tue 30-Jun-15 21:16:01

I used to have them at my old house, unfortunately my cats liked them too. I wasn't in love with them but certainly felt it was right to retain habitat for them.

SaulGood Tue 30-Jun-15 21:17:28

I lived on a farm for a few years and used to see them all the time. I love them.

SmartAlecMetalGit Tue 30-Jun-15 21:17:34

YANBU at all, I'd love to have a garden full of slow worms!

suzziearoundtheworld Tue 30-Jun-15 21:18:16

I've got a real soft spot for them, now almost half of my garden is overgrown blush but they love it. I counted 8 out today and some were huge. I can't bring myself to cut the lawn tbb

LaurieFairyCake Tue 30-Jun-15 21:20:30

Ive not seen one for years

I also love them after the initial squeal check its not a snake grin

millionsofpeaches Tue 30-Jun-15 21:21:04

Of course yanbu! Slow worms are gorgeous. I used to do ecological surveys for a living, which included reptile surveys. My colleague and I were once lucky enough to lift up a log and see a mother slow worm giving birth surrounded by tiny little slow worms. Amazing smile

YANAgurl1973 Tue 30-Jun-15 21:22:05

My Grandad used to have loads living in his compost heap. My brother used to chase me around the garden with them sad

MabelFurball Tue 30-Jun-15 21:23:13

We saw a half grown one on the path tonight. Our evil boy used to bring them in but we always saved them.

BadHenry Tue 30-Jun-15 21:28:23

Millions - wow that is amazing!

Jelliebabe1 Tue 30-Jun-15 21:51:14

Blergh! I don't like the ones in my garden but I leave them be (after shitting myself) and they leave me be too!

choccywoccywoowah Tue 30-Jun-15 22:00:09

Just had to google. Never saw nor heard of these!

MOTU Tue 30-Jun-15 22:00:32

Yep love them, plus they eat slugs so decorative and useful!!

Hestheone Tue 30-Jun-15 22:02:12

They are lovely

BabyFeets Tue 30-Jun-15 22:02:40

Just googled what it is, I think they are nice I like reptiles though

MadHattersWineParty Tue 30-Jun-15 22:04:50

Oh they are lovely! When I lived in a teeny tiny flat in my last year of uni I had one that used to sunbathe on the tiny patch of patio. I used to sit out there with it and it would be quite happy to let me stroke it's head smile

I really missed it when I left.

BarbarianMum Tue 30-Jun-15 22:05:27

YANBU I saw my first in years this month. Very envy that you have a garden full.

Notasinglefuckwasgiven Tue 30-Jun-15 22:06:20

What's a slow worm?hmm

Prettyinblue Tue 30-Jun-15 22:09:59

Oh they bring me back to my childhood. I used to climb into the factory near our house and lift up the corrigated iron boards to find them. Then run like crazy to escape before the security guard caught us.

They are beautiful.

Sparklingbrook Tue 30-Jun-15 22:10:17

Sparkling Cat brings them home for me. She looks like she has a huge droopy moustache as she walks down the garden with it. She doesn't kill them though just seems to want me to see them. confused

paulapompom Tue 30-Jun-15 22:12:19

YaNbu. I love them. Last school I worked at one came to Friday assembly (assisted by some pupils) it behaves very well and we made sure it went back home.

Don't have any in my garden though, you are blessedsmile

DonkeyOaty Tue 30-Jun-15 22:15:04

Haha at droopy moustache Sparklers

We love them here (country folk)

Not so keen on adders, yikes. We have taken to wellying-up before striding out to the woods

SylvaniansAtEase Tue 30-Jun-15 22:15:27

Oh well done OP! They are lovely. We get them in our garden, saw some baby ones last year smile not actually being born though!

So pretty.

TheoriginalLEM Tue 30-Jun-15 22:15:55

people really don't know what slow worms are?

I love them but don't see them often. i am jealous op.

i wonder if there is a way to encourage them?

Notasinglefuckwasgiven Tue 30-Jun-15 22:16:59

WHAT IS A SLOW WORM?grin fascinated now.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now