Talk

Advanced search

we need a "summer school holidays" topic then i can put THIS in it

(17 Posts)
BadgersArse Mon 27-Jul-09 15:33:06

has anyone else noticed what I belive to be MY theory of " first day of holidays hell"

I remember every year just at about 4pm on the first day of teh holidays, that I thought the same last year.
So here we are

the first day of school holidays are crap, everyone cross and everyone wanting something different

BadgersArse Mon 27-Jul-09 16:22:54

no?

TeaMonster Mon 27-Jul-09 16:24:52

We have already been off for a fortnight shock, when do yours go back?

BadgersArse Mon 27-Jul-09 16:25:27

mine only broke up on friday
go back sept 2nd
we havea longer half term

TeaMonster Mon 27-Jul-09 16:26:17

Ah - mine goes back on 4 September!

letsgostrawberrypicking Mon 27-Jul-09 16:27:15

lucky you having only just broken up- we broke up on the 19th!! We are now hardened, battlescarred mums on day 9 grin

BadgersArse Mon 27-Jul-09 16:27:51

Hmm
we are off on hol on sat and they are cricketing the end of hte week

PandaG Mon 27-Jul-09 16:35:54

think I agree, then you settle down into a routine of holidays and it doesn't seem as difficult.

we have tried to mitigate scrapping in tghe following ways:

we have put do not annoy/scrap with/snipe at your sibling as a target for each on their reward charts, and it is mostly working!

also, have had other kids round to play, they then play with own friend not scrap with each other - bonus if they get invited back!

For the first time ever DD went on a 'camp' last week, 2 hours of cheerleading a day for 3 days, my idea of hell but she loved it, and was good exercise when the weather was crap. ££ imo though.

reading challenge at the library - both like reading but has stimulated them, and a trip to library easy way to spend a morning if you throw in a bit of shopping/trip to cafe

Hassled Mon 27-Jul-09 16:40:18

IME you need at least 4 days before they realise it's not like school and there aren't going to be organised activities between the hours of 9 and 3.15. Then they start being nice again.

On our first day of the holidays, it drizzled constantly and I ended up forcing DSs2 & 3 to played outside. They ended up playing tennis using cherries as the balls. It looked like a massacre.

SpawnChorus Mon 27-Jul-09 16:46:14

We've been on holiday since the 2nd July. First two weeks were away in Skye though, so only on the second week of at-home-holidaying. Ordered a shit-load of ELC entertainification and have been waiting in ALL DAY for it. If it doesn't come soon I WILL go spudmental.

Countingthegreyhairs Mon 27-Jul-09 16:47:44

agree !!

tried to pre-empt this by going away for a week as soon as school had broken up this year (end of June for 8 weeks hols where we live)

this certainly helped as it got the holiday off to a "bang" but you still get the same miserable transition phase upon return so my clever strategy hasn't really worked ....

MrsBoo Mon 27-Jul-09 16:58:18

We have been off since 30th June, and dont go back until September.
This is the first year I dont have full time
nursery or out of school clubs to rely on too.
And at the same time I am trying to work from home.

BadgersArse Mon 27-Jul-09 17:11:54

OHi dont find it hard to find things to do and they are pretty good at playing esp with wii beachresorty thing, just all seem rather irrascible

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 28-Jul-09 13:34:00

Shiny new school holidays topic in Education here. Would you like me to move this thread?

BadgersArse Tue 28-Jul-09 16:47:58

wow
yes!

BigTech (MNHQ) Wed 29-Jul-09 12:39:35

Fixed

BigTech

pinknosedevereux Mon 24-Aug-09 19:36:38

I know I'll sound like a terrible mother, but I always seem get ill during summer holidays, mostly physically,but a couple of years I've been on the verge of seeking counselling only to find a couple of days after term restarts I feel just great again!

I love my children, but i just need lots of 'me time'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now