Talk

Advanced search

First holiday abroad with LO

(6 Posts)
Tiredeyes21 Thu 17-Jan-19 21:07:00

Soooooo much easier when they are in their own seat m. They are a nightmare wriggling around all over the place and in own seat you can relax! It’s not really that much more for it either! So maybe wait till 2? Or book one for them?
All incl has worked a few times for us when DS was 15 months and 3 years. He liked the mixture of foods and ice cream when he fancied it.

We didn’t use the kids clubs or babysitters but my friend has when she went to one of the first choice family plus resorts and thought highly!

We’ve done self catering as well.... which works well with young children as in a villa you can get time to yourselves at night whereas in one room you are a bit limited at night. We intended to keep DS up later on AI but by 7pm he was wiped out from all the sun and swimming he had done all day and was ready for bed! This limited us to drinking wine with a side light or on the balcony.
Can you look for an all inc but an apartment?

KateArronax Thu 17-Jan-19 21:06:34

We shared a room. Unfamiliar surroundings made it seem the obvious option tbh.

With little ones it's not a relaxing break unless you take nanny/ doting grandparents! We did enjoy going to hotels with dinner and big breakfast buffets. Most other friends seemed to do villas. If you have plenty of eating options nearby I can see it would be nice.

LoisLittsLover Thu 17-Jan-19 20:59:57

I'd be wary of not booking a seat for a 23 month old - they get wiggly.and heavy!

Hersetta427 Thu 17-Jan-19 20:56:47

We have done both when the kids were young and for us all inclusive was the way to go as it did mean I got a little rest (and we chose a hotel with a crèche). We had done villa holidays before and I felt I never stopped and it was just just like being at home. I cleaned up, swept the floors, cooked food for her etc. All inclusive is the way to go - nice balcony or terrace so you can have a drink or two when she has gone to bed.

TheLovelyOtherDinosaur Sat 29-Dec-18 22:27:56

Watching with interest!

RayRae19 Sat 29-Dec-18 22:23:21

So I am looking at booking our first holiday abroad with LO this May to take advantage of the free flights before she turns 2. She’s 18 months now and would be 23 m when we travel.

Need advice from those who have done it, particularly whether we should go for villa/self catering or all inclusive, and whether it’s worth paying for a family suite or just sharing a room.

My personal choice (from years of baby-free holidays!) would be all inclusive at a hotel so I can have a real break, but I’m not sure if it’s practical. How do you deal with sharing the same room (we have done this when staying with family and it sucks!) and do you use the babysitting services at the hotel ever?

We did do a holiday last year but due to lack of funds we did a caravan break in Wales. It was lovely and very much a home from home experience but still a lot of work for me.
I’ve been on many holidays abroad but never with my LO so just want to get my head around the best way to do this baby-style and any tips!
Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »