Talk

Advanced search

Two days at end of term

(14 Posts)
anonymousbird Thu 17-May-18 15:51:54

I have two children in different schools and the holidays are quite different.

DD has her last two days of term on a Monday and Tuesday and we know already it's just presentations and final assembly plus sports day. DS breaks up a week before.

She has an otherwise 100% attendance record other than leaving early one day due to transport issues due to snow and that was an approved absence.

I plan to phone/ email the absence line on the two days to say she won't be in school.

If she simply doesn't go on the last two days, what are the consequences for her or us?

If it makes a difference, and there is no reason I can think of that it should, it is an independent school.

TIA

Wolfiefan Thu 17-May-18 15:53:00

Why wouldn't she go in? Are you actually going on holiday?

Kate123cl Thu 17-May-18 15:55:45

Calling the absence line for 2 days really won't harm anyone. She won't learn anything in those last 2 days. Don't see the problem at all with doing sosmile

anonymousbird Thu 17-May-18 15:57:53

Yes, we plan to go on holiday. It's an ideal time for DH work wise to go right at the start of the long holiday but we weren't sure what action the school might take if she simply isn't there for those two days.

Not remotely worried from an education point of view!

Wolfiefan Thu 17-May-18 15:58:08

Well you could be fined.

anonymousbird Thu 17-May-18 15:59:25

Ok, I have heard of fines. Do they exist for "first" offence or only for repeated absence?

Kate123cl Thu 17-May-18 16:00:55

You could be fined but I think that's more realistic if the attendance is low and the school already have raised suspicions (which they obviously don't) so it's very highly unlikely. If it's a primary school, I'd be more worried about posting holiday pictures on social media etc and then find that one parent has gone back and showed it to a teacher at school, but again, very unlikely.

Wolfiefan Thu 17-May-18 16:01:13

In theory any unauthorised absence (which this would be) could invoke a fine. Per parent per session.

anonymousbird Thu 17-May-18 16:07:43

Thank you for the responses.

BrieAndChilli Thu 17-May-18 16:10:14

I don’t think independent schools fine do they? Only the LEA so they won’t know or be involved in the absence

grasspigeons Thu 17-May-18 16:10:30

well the consequence is she misses sports day and presentations! some people think these are valuable experiences.

I don't think private schools fine for absences do they - I have a gap in my knowedlege, do they refer to the EWO as state schools do? Presumably you have some kind of contract so which might mean they suggest you cant come back if you don't take education seriously.

Wolfiefan Thu 17-May-18 16:12:42

Hmm. Yes check contract.
TBH I would speak to the school. Be honest. If you don't like the possible consequences then don't go. If you do go I would say it's better to tell them in advance.

MrsJayy Thu 17-May-18 16:15:42

I would just inform or ask the school for those days off they might not be authorised but still take her out

anonymousbird Thu 17-May-18 16:53:27

There is no fine, as some posters have said. I've confirmed this. It just means she will have two unauthorised absence against her record.

Ok, all good. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: