Talk

Advanced search

Holiday clubs - run my own?

(15 Posts)
ohreallyohreallyoh Mon 11-Dec-17 22:11:22

I am a qualified secondary teacher and have some ideas for a holiday club to be run for a couple of weeks in summer 2018. If successful, I have some follow on ideas for October and Easter 2019.

It is early days and I am researching at the moment but would be interested in communicating with people who have run their own clubs. In particular, what do I really need to look out for? What might cause me problems?

Many thanks

Heratnumber7 Mon 11-Dec-17 22:21:32

Insurance won't be cheap. But if you have a good idea you can deliver at a good price in a convenient location - go for it!

ChocolateIsAFruit Sat 16-Dec-17 19:21:21

If you have people working for you who are genuinely interested and fun to be with this would be a differentiator to some of the standard holiday clubs. I for one would pay a premium for this

ohreallyohreallyoh Sun 17-Dec-17 13:50:12

Thanks, chocolate. So maybe work with people who usually work in schools? Maybe see if I can find some TAs or play workers who usually work in schools who might want some extra over the holidays rather than use A level students looking to work? My idea is French/Spanish based with language learning, crafts, outdoor games, film etc. all based around the language and culture. I am thinking of 2 weeks - one French, one Spanish. Probably separated so week 2 and 5 of the holiday.

How much is a premium for you? I am thinking £20-25 per day with snacks and drinks but bring your lunch running from 9am - 5pm with an additional charge for an earlier and/or later pick up. Maximum of 25 children, no one younger than 8. Would be me to lead and 2 others max although Imsuspect one will need to be a 6th form leaver (I have someone in mind who I think would be fab but I take the point).

Does any of that change how you feel about it? Would your child still want to attend? Would you want your child to attend?

Heratnumber7 Sun 17-Dec-17 14:13:23

I would say that 3 people isn't enough for 25 kids, particularly if one is a 6th form leaver - so possibly not 18 and with no training/qualifications.
I have sent my DCs to "language club" in the past, but doubt I would just for one week. It's not really long enough to pick up and then remember much of the language.

Presumably there wouldn't be much point in attending just for one or two days, so it's not really £25 per day, is it? It's £125 per week, which I would find prohibitive.

How would you manage children with different linguistic abilities?

RedSkyAtNight Sun 17-Dec-17 14:23:15

What area are you in? I'll be honest that I can't see an 8-11 year old thinking that this sounds like a fun way to spend their holiday (so I wouldn't have sent my DC at that age as they had the casting vote in where to go). If however, you're in an area where parents are keen to send their DC to "improving" activities then it might be a goer.

ohreallyohreallyoh Sun 17-Dec-17 14:28:04

I manage children with different abilities every day in the day job! Not worried about differentiation, worried about the line between fun and learning and it being too much like school. Fluency in a week is not the aim!

Can I ask your location if £125 a week is prohibitive? I have looked at the costs of other clubs locally and some are very much cheaper, I agree. Others are considerably more. I was expecting to come somewhere in the middle.

It is not meant to be formalised learning but you say you would want a longer club? How much longer? The full holiday? 2 weeks? 3weeks? Would you expect each week to be stand alone so anyone could join or would you expect a commitment to a whole course?

Thanks. It is useful feeedback and something to ponder. With more staff I am not sure I could make a profit based on the prices I have had so far for room hire.

ChocolateIsAFruit Sun 17-Dec-17 19:20:19

I think it sounds great and definitely cheaper than some around here

BringOnTheScience Sun 24-Dec-17 18:20:54

3 staff all day is not enough. Who covers lunch & loo breaks?!

Public liability insurance.
DBS checks for all.
At least one a qualified first aider & a first aid kit on site.
Risk Assessments - eg procedure for lost child, building security, allergies (esp if they're bringing their own lunches)

Heratnumber7 Sun 24-Dec-17 19:34:00

If I were going to use such a club, I'd prefer one or two days a week for several weeks, rather than one whole week.

ProfessorWaffle Wed 27-Dec-17 17:44:42

I would book a week - I like things to run in weeks during the holidays

Fffion Wed 27-Dec-17 17:47:39

A holiday club answers to Ofsted (if frequent enough), so that is a consideration.

Have you attended/helped at other holiday clubs?

Fffion Wed 27-Dec-17 17:50:54

You need to have a good idea about what else is going on in your area. What does the local council do, and also the local churches (which are likely to be free)?

Would you be buying in a curriculum, or devising it all by yourself?

Fffion Wed 27-Dec-17 17:55:45

Red Sky,

I don’t think it’s as much about appealing to the youngsters as appealing to their parents.

I think the idea of a language/cultural immersion is a good one - language, Food, festivals, craft, sports etc. It will be very easy to put together an exciting programme.

The difficult thing is all the details -venue, staffing (DBS),materials, pricing.

OP, are you expecting this to be a commercial enterprise?

ohreallyohreallyoh Thu 28-Dec-17 12:11:20

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I would need to make a profit to make it worth my while. I am undecided how much that would be. I am costing at the moment - waiting on local venues to come back on per week prices. Am also costing different venues in other parts of town. I am also going to cost in a more expensive, middle class town locally as I suspect it would go down well there! Insurance is OK. No problems with Ofsted if I keep it over 8s only although doesn’t worry me in the big scheme of things anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: