Thoughts on animation club for 10-14

(11 Posts)
trufflehumper Wed 25-Jan-17 10:38:28

DH is considering starting an animation workshop for 10-14 year olds in half term/summer hols. Would this be something your DC would be interested in? and how long should a workshop last? Is it imprortant that it fits with working hours for e.g.? Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

MirandaWest Wed 25-Jan-17 10:42:53

The problem with holiday courses is that for working parents they would ideally cover work hours as it may be impossible for children to get there otherwise. I'm lucky in working from home and having sympathetic colleagues but a course from say 10 until 3 isn't easy for DC to go to. And the longer it is the more it costs.

What sort of thing would it cover? Older DC would potentially be able to get there themselves - would it be held somewhere easily accessible not by car (DS went to one last summer where he could either go by bus or bike which helped)

trufflehumper Wed 25-Jan-17 10:49:15

Miranda thanks for your reply. What hours to run is a major consideration. As ft working parents we also struggle with this. The suggestion to have a venue accessible by foot or public transport is a great one and definately something DH can look into.

trufflehumper Wed 25-Jan-17 19:23:31

Bump

temporarilyjerry Mon 20-Mar-17 18:19:03

My DC are older now but that is something they would have been interested in. We found that there were far fewer holiday activities available after they left primary school so would have welcomed this.

ProfYaffle Mon 20-Mar-17 18:21:02

My dds would love this. Like Jerry says it's hard to find cool stuff for this age group to do especially for sport phobic dd2.

ProfYaffle Mon 20-Mar-17 18:21:36

PS Hours not a consideration for me as I'm a SAHM but appreciate I'm probably not typical.

EdithWeston Mon 20-Mar-17 18:23:21

Yes, mine would have liked that.

The age group he is proposing straddles primary/senior - is that in purpose? (Or are you in an area with a middle school system?)

With secondary age DC, they can sign themselves out of most clubs (if parents sign relevant form) which means that precise hours matter far less.

MrsScrubbingbrush Mon 20-Mar-17 18:27:25

I know both of my DDs (11) would love something like this. They've had a go at making a stop/start video for a school project & really enjoyed it.

It's a shame there aren't more courses like this - DD1 would love to join a photography club or an astronomy club but there's nothing around for her age group (and we live in London!)

rookiemere Mon 20-Mar-17 18:29:51

Yes I'd echo the fact that it would be great to have it near public transport.
DS is going to be 11 soon and he feels he is getting too old for restrictive holiday club practices, but is not old enough to be left in the house on his own, therefore something "cool" that would take up a good chunk of the day, which he can get to and from himself, would be well received by both he and I.

chantico Mon 20-Mar-17 21:52:49

Agree. There 's a big gap in provision for pupils in the early secondary years (England years 7-8 or 9, so age 11-13 or 14).

When they can be left, but you don't want to leave them all the time; but they'll only do what they want to try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now