Talk

Advanced search

Holidaying without your child??

(16 Posts)
Tiredofbeingjudged Thu 19-Jan-17 02:36:50

So...last year we went on our first holiday with my partner & my little girl, it was amazing. I realised how much i missed holidays and how much of the world i still had to see. This year we were thinking of going a holiday as a couple, we've never been on holiday just the two of us, then going on a holiday in the summer as a family! My little one has said that she is more than happy with this, however my dad is making me feel like the most selfish parent in the world & its got me thinking...is it really awful for wanting to go away for a week without my child? It would be a one time thing but now im not sure if its a good idea. Opinions pleeeeease smile

Rulerruler Thu 19-Jan-17 04:05:23

If she's going to be able to have a nice time while you are away and there's a holiday for her coming up I don't see it should be a big problem really. Bit different if you are planning on Disneyland or something though. If it was me I would be making point of naming the things I was going to be doing that I know would bore her so she didn't feel like she was missing out on anything exciting! Me and DH are already thinking about a trip in 2 years time (big birthday) and this won't include our 2 children but we will make sure they have a special treat while we are away.

MrsJamin Thu 19-Jan-17 04:23:55

We've done quite a few short holidays without children when they were young, we've said that they would have found the place boring, which was true. I'd go for it, really helps your relationship with your partner and as the basis of your family, is therefore good for your daughter in the long run IYSWIM.

farfarawayfromhome Thu 19-Jan-17 04:39:12

I travel a lot, it's my passion. As well as family trips each year I ALWAYS have a holiday or two with a girlfriend, no husband or DD and we usually go away just the two of us, no DD, for our wedding anniversary.

These holidays are the best things ever! Completely re sets my brain and makes me a better person. I love DD but child friendly holidays are not my ideal.

You are still you, your own person, I don't understand anyone who would begrudge you time for you.

SmallBee Thu 19-Jan-17 05:06:29

I don't think it's a problem. I remember my parents doing this when we were young, I never minded and I got a fun week doing things with my grandparents instead.

MrsPringles Thu 19-Jan-17 06:30:24

I did it last year, 5 nights in Spain and we left DS at home.
We were married a few weeks back and we're going on honeymoon to Mexico soon, I have guilt pangs at the airport but get there and see the bar and I'm ok grinblush

He has a lovely time being spoilt by his grandparents.

Plus we're going to Disneyland Paris with him so that also makes me feel less guilty!

Figgygal Thu 19-Jan-17 06:37:19

We did it when ds was 3 he's not good in the heat and is just as happy with a weekend in Devon as anywhere else.

My mum came and stayed with him in our house to maintain his routine as much as possible and as she lives 500 miles away and they don't see each other very much was great for both of them. we went to turkey for a week where it was 40 degrees and I can honestly say he'd have been miserable.

ftmsoon Thu 19-Jan-17 06:40:42

I'm going to say I don't feel I can leave my DD to go holiday yet, but I think it's probably a different situation.
You don't give an age for your DD, but mine is only 2.5 so I don't know how well she would understand 'mummy and daddy will come back' yet. Your DD sounds a lot older.
I am FT WOHM and feel I see very little of her at the moment so don't want to miss out on time with her.
And thirdly, my MIL recently has started pushing 'you need a break, leave DD with me' in a uncomfortable way, so I'm probably also pushing back in a 'I'm not leaving her yet' way!
In another few months, I might feel differently!

MrsPringles Thu 19-Jan-17 07:07:55

Ftm
My DS is only 2.5 too blush

Tiredofbeingjudged Thu 19-Jan-17 08:34:46

Thank you so much for all of your opinions. My daughter is 5 years old, so we would be going after the easter holidays so its a bit cheaper for us and a bit easier for the person (was originally my dad but now one of my sisters) looking after her as she goes to breakfast club & after school club most days since we work. Summer holiday is a big one as we are taking her back to ger country of birth for the first time which she is excited about. She also sees her going away with my sister whilst we're away ger own little holiday/adventure smile

RudyMentary Thu 19-Jan-17 08:36:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsJamin Thu 19-Jan-17 17:02:47

Go and enjoy, your daughter will love having time with an auntie and I think it's great for kids to have their own relationship with their family members without their parents around. Now. Where are you going to go? I'd definitely recommend a city break in an airbnb.

Tiredofbeingjudged Thu 19-Jan-17 17:38:09

MrsJamin Thank you! Thats exactly what we were thinking..possibly italy/france but open to suggestions if you have any? grin

throwingpebbles Thu 19-Jan-17 17:40:19

I think it's fine, she will enjoy herself having an adventure.

It's good for her for her parents to have happy relationship smile

throwingpebbles Thu 19-Jan-17 17:42:11

My parents used to go away skiing for a week each year and it's why I am so close to my granny I think.

MrsJamin Tue 24-Jan-17 17:22:57

Tiredofbeingjudged somewhere like Prague or Budapest or Berlin or Barcelona are fab to go without kids, loads of nice restaurants, museums, art galleries etc! Depends what you're into but it's great to go somewhere grown up and civilised rather than soft play centres and pizza express!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now