Advanced search

Working 3 nightshifts a month - childcare in school hols

(6 Posts)
CountryLovingGirl Thu 07-Apr-16 15:32:13


Are there any other NHS workers out there who do nights (as a parent)? If hubby is off work then he can take the children out (ages 8 and 12) but what do other parents do for childcare, in the school hols, if you have been on nights? I may have to work my nights back to back.

12 year old is getting extremely bored going to the childminder. He has gone since he was 5.

stitch10yearson Thu 07-Apr-16 15:36:14

Well, according to Jeremy Hunt, you should either have family around to provide informal unpaid childcare, or not work. After all, you have ovaries and breasts, according to an LSE Professor, you shouldnt have been trained in the first place, taking up a man's rightful place.

Sorry, no idea. I know a single colleague who had to pay £400 in childcare costs for the week she would do nights. She didnt earn that much during the time, but she couldnt refuse to do it either.

attheendoftheday Fri 08-Jul-16 16:34:17

You ask for a flexible working agreement not to do nights during school holidays.

LockedOutOfMN Tue 19-Jul-16 19:09:29

Hello CountryLovingGirl, as I read it, 3 nightshifts per month would mean a maximum of 6 nightshifts during the school holidays. I appreciate that it's a pain for your son but at 12 years old you can explain to him that it's the price you pay for having such a valuable job that is genuinely 24/7. You yourself should not feel guilty about having to work, many parents have to work during the school holidays and the only way to look on it is that the time you do get as a family is more special (and, cash permitting, it gives you the excuse to splash out on a fun day out or nice meal or other treat once in a while to make the most of that rare, high quality family time).

Sorry, I've come across as patronising and that's really not what I intended. As another poster has said, if you're able to obtain a flexible working agreement then that might be the answer.

P.S. My computer doesn't have the capacity to cope with the vitriol I could unleash about the so-called Health Minister.

MustStopAndThinkBeforePosting Tue 19-Jul-16 19:19:44

Could you ask for a flexible arrangement to have all your nights in a single block of 6 nights, then book the kids into a week residential outward bound course like PGL?

Tbh the easiest solution would be that it is taken as a given that your dh reserves 6 days of his annual leave to cover your night shifts.

At 8 and 12 I'm not surprised they are bored of the childminder. Look for things like kings camps, mad science etc in your area and book them into more interesting activities.

Rattusn Mon 22-Aug-16 09:45:54

I would try to put the children in an activity that interests them: eg sports camp/drama club. There are lots that are run over the school holidays, and would likely appeal a lot more than a childminder, and be much cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now