Talk

Advanced search

Do your kids enjoy school holiday clubs?

(12 Posts)
Bgp22 Sun 20-Mar-16 20:33:08

Hi. I've been a SAHM for 4 years and am looking into options for returning to work. Just wondering about the school holiday issue. My family doesn't live locally so can't cover. I have in-laws (would take them 1hour to get here during rush-hour) and they could only do the odd day here and there. My husband is a solicitor in a large firm and has very little flexibility (only had bank hols off last Christmas for instance). Basically even if I only worked 2 days a week, myself and my husband would not be able to cover all the holidays between us, so we may well need to use holiday clubs. But I am a bit worried about the kids having, as opposed to wanting, to go to something during school holidays, esp as I did not have to do this as a child. So, what are your/your kids' experiences of going to holiday clubs? Did/do they enjoy them or do they moan about having to go sometimes because they just wanted to chill out at home? I'm interested to hear from mums with kids of all ages.

EdithWeston Mon 21-Mar-16 10:47:55

We've used these a lot. They didn't moan, because it was just something they had to get on with.

In the very early years, their nursery would take its recent leavers back if they had a space, which they generally did.

After that, I used both general childcare type camps (ask around locally for which ones in your area people like and why, and for which age groups). The ones which went down best though we're the ones which matched the DC's interests - so mainly sport. Check your council website as we found some very cheap ones.

CMOTDibbler Mon 21-Mar-16 10:55:41

Yes, ds is 9 and the one he currently goes to is based at the leisure centre and they do all sorts of sports, swim, canoe, crafts, dance - all sorts of things.

He has to go for all but 2 weeks of the summer holidays, everyday, and some parts of other holidays as well - but he does know theres no option as dh and I have to work and theres no one else to go to.

Sarahmummy2016 Mon 21-Mar-16 16:39:49

If you can find a good club then your kids will be happy during the holidays. It all depends on what kind of activities they are involved in. If you have a boy, sign him up for football, engineering or other sports. If you have a girl then ballet, yoga or art classes might work better.
My kid is going to special workshops during the holidays and she's happy. She learns a lot and gets the chance to make new friends.
www.3houseclub.com/news-for-parents-nw8-maidavale-primrosehill-swisscotage/make-the-most-of-your-easter-school-break-at-3-house-club

AChickenCalledKorma Fri 25-Mar-16 19:37:26

Honestly, no my children have never really enjoyed them, but I returned to work when they were a bit older (7&10) and they had had the chance to get used to me being around. It might have been easier if they have got into the habit from earlier on.

I now work three days a week and we muddle through with a mixture of things - DH and I tend to take two days off each in half term, but not both at the same time, in the summer they will usually spend a week staying with their grandparents, and we have used a local childminder who provides a very flexible service in the holidays. They are both quite introverted children and do need time in a reasonably peaceful home environment, even if it's someone else's home.

Titsywoo Fri 25-Mar-16 19:39:09

No not really but they go and make the most of it when I need to use them. If your DC is sporty they might enjoy it as they are always very active.

Earlyday Tue 29-Mar-16 22:16:25

My DS is very happy at his. He is 6. This was a big concern for me as I initially felt sad at the thought of him stuck in a club and felt he should be at home - but I have to work.

Now I think he would be missing out hugely if I was at home as I wouldn't be able to afford to send him.

Today he made Rice Krispie buns, did arts and crafts and went on the bouncy castle and played games and other things as well.

I think it's really good for him going there and his little brother will be old enough to start there soon

He does a long day somedays - 10am to 5pm but seems very happy when collected and says he had a good day.

Parker231 Tue 29-Mar-16 22:26:23

My DT's went to full time nursery at 9 months and once they started school, breakfast and after school clubs and holiday clubs to cover the shortfall in our holidays. They moaned when they didn't need to go as they enjoyed the range of activities and time spent with different groups of friends. The situation might have been helped by them realizing that there was no choice, they had to go so that we could both work.

Peasandsweetcorn Tue 29-Mar-16 22:35:37

DD does (DS still at nursery so no childcare requirements for the holidays yet). I do put a lot of time into planning it so, rather than just pick the club which is cheapest or most convenient, I look at the various activities offered and then liaise with the other working parents amongst DD's friends to make sure she has at least one school friend there with her. She has never done more than 2 days a week there.
She doesn't enjoy it as much as days with me but she certainly doesn't mind it & also knows that we wouldn't be going abroad next week if I didn't go out & work, a consequence of which is that she has to go to holiday club.

ineedamoreadultieradult Tue 29-Mar-16 22:40:37

My boys 8 and 5 go to beach school in the holidays. I always try to get holiday or arrange GPs for at least a day or two a week so they don't have to go for full weeks. They enjoy it when they are there but given a choice they would prefer to stay home where the xbox is.

Frenchandmusicensemble Sun 22-May-16 10:03:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LockedOutOfMN Tue 19-Jul-16 19:19:48

They (just turned 5 and just turned 8) like clubs where they do stuff, i.e. 2 or 3 hours a day of specific activities, like football camp for my son.

They, and their friends, don't like the all day ones with lunch included, where there seems to be a lot of hanging around and filler activities like colouring in or watching videos or free playtime (without any exciting equipment). However, some parents have little choice but to use these "camps" for childcare all day while they work as the school holidays are so long. Luckily, I'm a teacher so I have similar holidays to the children but if I weren't I would get a nanny for when my husband and I are at work as with two children the cost of the nanny is the same or less as the cost of the camp and they would much prefer it. (At the moment, we do have a nanny / housekeeper, but she gets the summer holidays off as I'm home).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now