Music summer school in Glasgow

(4 Posts)
Ickythumpsmum Tue 01-Mar-16 11:01:02

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post - maybe I'd be better in the Scottish bit or in extra curricular. Any advice appreciated.

We will be in Glasgow at the end of July / start of August. I'll be visiting lots of old friends and relatives so I asked my DS (7) if he wanted to sign up to any activities and he has asked for violin. He has been taking lessons this year, and is pretty terrible but very enthusiastic. He would need to be in a beginners group.

I looked on th RCS web page and their violin summer school is for age 12+ and they had nothing else for his age group in the weeks we will be in Scotland.

I'm hoping to find a mumsnetter with inside info on where all the Glasgow music kids spend their summer holidays?

Thanks in advance!

lemonymelanie Tue 01-Mar-16 11:06:42

How about the Glasgow Fiddle Workshop?

All playing is by ear and it's very relaxed :-)

www.glasgowfiddle.org.uk/

Ickythumpsmum Tue 01-Mar-16 11:32:26

lemony I've just been on their web page and it looks great. I've sent them an email to see what they have going on in the summer. He's a Scottish boy who has only ever spent his summer hols in Scotland - lived abroad all his life, so some Scott music would certainly make him happy.

lemonymelanie Tue 01-Mar-16 21:37:24

Great :-) Scottish traditional tunes are great fun to learn and play. I think your wee boy would love it.

I'm sure someone else will be along to offer other suggestions too, although it might be a wee bit early yet to have summer programmes organised and published - not Easter yet! I hope you find the right thing :-) good luck and all the best to your wee one and his playing. It's a difficult instrument to master and it takes a while to make nice sounds ( I know!).

But it's worth it in the end :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now