Talk

Advanced search

day off for my DS to attend my wedding to DP/daddy?

(21 Posts)
GeorgiaT2468 Mon 30-Nov-15 21:59:20

Iv heard that it's not a valid reason to have him off for the day? Is this true?

Sorry clueless and Internet has many different answers.. confused

Xx

Iguessyourestuckwithme Mon 30-Nov-15 22:00:23

No it isn't a valid reason. Surely you took his school days into account when planning a date.

Wolfiefan Mon 30-Nov-15 22:00:58

Apply for the day off. It will quite possibly be refused. You would then have to take unauthorised absence. I'd be surprised if they fined.
What age child?

janethegirl2 Mon 30-Nov-15 22:02:13

Just lie and say your DC was unwell.

Wishful80smontage Mon 30-Nov-15 22:02:23

I think its a valid reason- my niece came to mine which was in the afternoon (so she finished at lunchtime) her very strict school were fine about it.
They were told well in advance and dn has a good attendance record- school were fine dn is 10.

GeorgiaT2468 Mon 30-Nov-15 22:02:27

It was supposed to be an teacher training day at his school but receptionist typed the wrong day in newsletter so I booked it for then, plus it's our anniversary also so was perfect. But training date has now changed? confused wedding booked and paid for ect.. Xx

DixieNormas Mon 30-Nov-15 22:03:52

Well tell them it's their fault for screwing up the dates on the letter if they get arsey

Hassled Mon 30-Nov-15 22:03:44

Holidays can be authorised "in exceptional circumstances". Some Heads would authorise a parent's wedding (most would, I reckon) whereas others wouldn't. Your child's overall attendance might be a factor.

But you're not going to trigger a fine over one day's unauthorised absence if attendance is otherwise good so I wouldn't worry about it. I'd apply for it to be authorised - chances are it will be.

GeorgiaT2468 Mon 30-Nov-15 22:04:53

He's 5 and has 100% attendance since the start of school over a year ago since starting in reception. Missed two days only recently due to chicken pox that they could clearly see he had. So I guess it's lowered a bit now due to that..

Xx

alltheworld Mon 30-Nov-15 22:04:59

If you have the newsletter with the mistake and made plans in good faith just inform the school. If you get fined, go to the daily mail

Wolfiefan Mon 30-Nov-15 22:06:50

Their mistake. Keep the newsletter with the original date on. Apply for leave and explain the reason.
(How did you manage just two days off for CP?!) shock

GeorgiaT2468 Mon 30-Nov-15 22:08:43

This happened to another mum at the school they/receptionist miss typed and she got fined for taking child out of school for a family christening. Which being a religious event is surley think that can't be right but apparently it was no reason to miss education for something that doesn't concern them?

Not sure on that child's attendance but knowing the family over a year now they haven't missed a day at school either..

Confused.com xx

GeorgiaT2468 Mon 30-Nov-15 22:09:48

Oh lol he come down with chicken pox two days prior to the half term lol so two days off and the whole of the half term with it confused xx

Pico2 Mon 30-Nov-15 22:12:33

I think it must be very unusual to be fined for a single day's absence. Our school is now obliged to pass on unauthorised absences of 5 days to the Local Authority to issue a fine.

Wolfiefan Mon 30-Nov-15 22:13:12

Oh bless poor kid!
Do they often make such mistakes? Seems odd for two different dates to be mistyped.
Seriously. I would apply. Explain reasons and see what happens.

GeorgiaT2468 Mon 30-Nov-15 22:18:59

Ok thank you. The receptionist is a strange one, she makes a lot of mistakes and gets confused and is just a general air head really. Like today she said she didn't know carrot cake was actually an invention. She laughed and asked would you eat sweet corn cake??

Mistakes have been bought to heads attention before I believe but nothing serious if you like, just general mistakes which I understand we all make them but this mistake could cause a bit of palaver xx

RoobyTuesday Mon 30-Nov-15 22:18:32

Seriously just don't worry so much! The school made an error and you booked a wedding - nothing bad is going to happen because a five year old missed a day of school. You can apply for a days authorised leave, if they turn it down the school will mark it down as unauthorised, if his attendance has been otherwise good then the school will not take it further, it'll just be there on his record. There will be some on here who can't wait to chastise you for booking your wedding on a school day but really they just need to get some perspective. It's a wedding, just one day, not a week at Disney world.

sharoncarol43 Mon 30-Nov-15 22:21:39

My Ds was refused permission, and he was the best man! so no, I do't think it counts as a valid reason.

However, it is actually the schools mistake, not yours, so keep the letter with the wrong date on as evidence. If you get fined, dispute it.

Finola1step Mon 30-Nov-15 22:23:15

Enjoy your wedding day with your ds. Simply email the head and explain that you booked the wedding before the date was corrected.

GeorgiaT2468 Mon 30-Nov-15 22:25:31

Lol thanks rooby..

I do tend to worry a lot when asking advice as Iv seen on other posts there seem to be some really judgmental people being quite awful but even without the error it's still the date we want to be married as it's the date we got together. A bit special to us in that sense. I just can't help it falls on a Friday this year lol Xx

GeorgiaT2468 Mon 30-Nov-15 22:30:22

Thanks a lot everyone il do that. I have the letter at hand so will keep it safe just in case.

I'm not getting married without ALL my children there, I understand if it was exam week or something of that respect of course I'd have to make plans for a different date but it's not.

I even think that day it's Extra PE and his classes turn on the outside play equipment will take up half the day, then to add they have break time and lunch so he may miss 3 hours or less of education but for an above average student surley that should be ok lol xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now