Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has any political party pledged to reverse the term time holiday fines?

(10 Posts)
Berrie Tue 21-Apr-15 12:23:14

smile

AuntieStella Tue 21-Apr-15 12:27:50

Not that I've seen.

They were introduced by Labour, not removed by Con/LDs, so active of default support by the major parties.

What do UKIP and Greens say?

Bowlersarm Tue 21-Apr-15 12:29:18

I wouldn't think so. Not quite sure why they would.

Berrie Tue 21-Apr-15 12:39:52

Oh OK not the fines then but the further restrictions - the end to the ten days at Headteacher's discretion. That was more recent.

Floggingmolly Tue 21-Apr-15 12:42:12

Why would they?

AuntieStella Tue 21-Apr-15 12:45:20

Heads can still authorise absences at their discretion.

All that was removed was a family holiday being adequate grounds in itself. If special/exceptional circumstances exist, heads can still authorise. And indeed can do so for longer than 10 days now.

There doesn't seem to be any appetite from NAHT to make term time holidays easier. Unless there was a clear voice from them, I doubt any party is going to make further changes.

mummymeister Thu 30-Apr-15 10:37:28

The NUT voted in favour of removal at their conference. the only party pledging to remove the legislation is UKIP. However, I am hopeful that whoever gets in it will quietly be shuffled off and the power returned to where it always should have been in the first place - the Head teacher. the issue is that "exceptional circumstances" is defined differently wherever you live. in our LEA there have been lots of fines. in Cornwall there have been none so clearly the definition varies widely.

Jaysfourth Wed 28-Oct-15 12:38:35

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/petitions_noticeboard/2496577-Create-a-Holiday-Council-for-families-teachers-anyone-in-the-school-holidays

Come on over and sign this petition !!!

MumOnTheRunAgain Wed 28-Oct-15 12:53:21

What's the point of that 'petition' tho?

What do you expect will happen? Holiday companies reduce the prices off peak, I.e when it's term time and nobody hardly books anything

Jaysfourth Wed 28-Oct-15 15:05:06

This (the Holiday Council) in theory is what they SHOULD of done from the last debate but they didn't and so We are asking them to do it NOW..
If you really do want change then the only way forward is to sign this official Government e-petition - It gives many companies the opportunity to come forward to help and liaise with the Government and the Department of Education without them feeling like they are to blame..
A collection really can make a MASSIVE difference....it about getting those involved, talking, discussing ways forward and ways to help the families.

thats really the point of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now