Talk

Advanced search

Term time holidays and fines

(10 Posts)
Gemlou82 Sat 17-Jan-15 18:50:18

Hi all,

I'm new to this, only just signed up in fact, and I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but could really do with some help please.

I have booked a holiday in May and will be taking my children out of school for 10 days, I'm fully aware that it won't be authorised and I will get fined, but I'm wondering if my children's dad will as well?

We do not live together, haven't been a couple for over 7 years and I have full custody. He is telling me that he will be fined as well and that I will have to pay it (not an issue) as he can't afford to.

I was under the impression that it was the parent the child lives with who is fined (or both if they live together).

I have tried searching online for the answer but it isn't clear. Does anyone have any experience or advice they can give me please?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

lljkk Sat 17-Jan-15 20:09:28

Are you sure you'll be fined? most LAs won't bother if child has a generally good attendance record (speaking as a Holiday Criminal myself).

I think something to do with parental responsibility, and parents without PR don't get fined. But I can't promise.

OneThenTwo Mon 19-Jan-15 10:18:03

It depends on the school - our children's school fines for any term time holidays - even families with otherwise 100% attendance. It's just a matter of policy as far as they are concerned. But the fines come direct from the council as they are notified by the school so there will only be a fine to the one address where they live during the school week as that's what the school has on file. It wouldn't be legal to fine both parents as it would be discrimination.

mummymeister Mon 19-Jan-15 14:30:09

First thing you need to do is find out what your Local Education Authorities policies are. they should be on their website. first thing you have to do is apply to the school for leave. if you can make a case for it - fixed holidays, family issue etc and the school consider it exceptional circumstances then the head teacher can grant this. TBH this doesn't sound exceptional to me so you will be refused. if you then take your children away the H/T may and this is the key bit, may, refer you to the LEA. in my experience of other postings on here, some schools say up to 5 days before referral and some say no days. I haven't found a posting yet where the OP wants 10 days and hasn't been referred. but you must look at the policies because the law says one thing and each area does its own thing. if they do refer you and the LEA decide fine, the law says £60 per parent per child. sorry but this means that your ex will also be fined even if you don't live together. Is he paying maintenance for the child or would he pay if he earned enough? if the answer is yes, then my understanding is that he will be fined as well. he could argue the case but it goes back to what your LEA's policy is. there is no one answer on this. only what the legislation says.

the big BUT in all of this is that some LEA's and schools are fining £60 per parent per child per week. so for one child you could be looking at £240 in fines.

I have to say that if it were 5 days only I would have a lot more sympathy but 10 days in May when there is a bank holiday weekend and 1 week half term seems a bit excessive.

OneThenTwo Mon 19-Jan-15 20:23:08

Wow you're right, have just double checked as we also were considering a term time start date for hols and it is potentially fine per parent. Our school is very strict on it but I've not heard of anyone getting fined £120, just £60 per child / household. I'll bear that in mind.

Lalakels Mon 09-Mar-15 23:54:30

You can both be fined. £60 p/w. I would assume you are overlapping half term? Our family holiday is £1500 cheaper and God knows we need some family time but I feel criminal. I agree with the sentiment of reducing absenteeism but some flex is needed!

Jaysfourth Wed 28-Oct-15 12:41:00

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/petitions_noticeboard/2496577-Create-a-Holiday-Council-for-families-teachers-anyone-in-the-school-holidays

Come on over and sign this petition !!!

oncloud99 Mon 23-Jul-18 11:56:19

Father won't get fined as long as their attendance is good then it will just get unauthorised absence my son has been on holiday last week of summer school term it's up to the head to fine you but if your child's attendance is good they won't fine you.

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Fri 27-Jul-18 16:45:11

Just a note.... schools CANT impose fines. Any fines are imposed by the local authority. In my local authority the heads don’t even refer families, the Education Welfare Officers visit school regularly and ask for all our attendance data. The EWO then decides if any action of any sort needs to be taken.

ASauvignonADay Tue 14-Aug-18 10:15:47

* Father won't get fined as long as their attendance is good then it will just get unauthorised absence my son has been on holiday last week of summer school term it's up to the head to fine you but if your child's attendance is good they won't fine you.*
If you go away for the last week of term, the school/local authority can't refer you for a fine until the child returns in September, and then there will usually be a 2-8 week wait until it is actually issued. So unless school has actually said they won't fine, you may receive one in the new term.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: