Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fixed Penalty Notice for an Under 5?

(6 Posts)
Adreena32 Sat 18-Oct-14 09:25:43

Hi there. I've just joined and could do with a little bit of advice!

My eldest has just started school this September. He's one of the youngest as he has an August birthday.

We want to go on holiday next May in term time but the school issues fixed penalty notices. I have been told since he's under 5 then they can't fine me. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks in advance

Xx

addictedtosugar Sat 18-Oct-14 16:44:43

I don't know what the legal position is, but our HT has made it clear that once you start school, you abide by the rules, which are no term time holidays.
So that suggests that you don't have to start school, but once you have, you would have to apply for exceptional circumstances, just like anyone in the year above.

LynetteScavo Sat 18-Oct-14 16:48:00

I think you would be given an unorthorised absence, but don't think you would be fined.

I doubt the school would tell you a fine wouldn't happen, as it would still affect their attendance figures.

mummymeister Mon 20-Oct-14 14:21:16

Adreena32. search back on some of the old threads on this as there is a lot of advice on them. basically whether or not you are fined depends upon the policy of the Head Teacher and the LEA. lots of people will reply to you on here from the point of view of where THEY live. and unless its in your area then the advice wont be very meaningful. MN is full of people who have been fined for any absence even a day £60 per parent per child. it is also full of people in whose area there are no fines except above a certain % of days off. the best advice is to look on your LEA's website and find the policy that applies to your area. ask other parents too. have a trawl back through MN and hopefully you will find some better answers.

number1daddy Fri 07-Nov-14 09:31:03

I took my son on holiday before he turned five but was in reception. there was nothing done as legally it's once I child turns five not if they Starr education before five

ooooohblondie Wed 19-Nov-14 19:06:21

A child is not statutory school age until the term after they are 5, so therefore a parent cannot be fined for non attendance at school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now