Talk

Advanced search

Best area to be a SAHP

(16 Posts)
ChickenMom Tue 13-Mar-18 12:41:50

Just wondering what your feelings are for the best town/area to be a SAHP in? The place I live is prime commuter belt and lots of other mums my age work so I’m feeling more and more isolated and bored. If you could pick anywhere in the UK to be a SAHP where would you pick? I’m thinking that I bet somewhere like Cornwall with it’s beautiful beaches is probably the best place (in theory) to hang out.

LMX0 Wed 14-Mar-18 16:28:27

I love the beach!! And would be easy way to entertain children in the summer/good weather however i think it would be easy to get a bit fed up of the sights day in day out

BossWitch Wed 14-Mar-18 16:33:47

Depends how much money I had. If I was flush I reckon central London would be top of the list - loads to do!

With more modest finances... maybe a country town? Big enough to support some groups and activities running in the day, a good few nice cafes, and countryside on the doorstep?

springmachine Wed 14-Mar-18 18:07:51

I'm 9 months into maternity leave and heading back to part time work shortly but also in commuter belt.

Luckily we have some decent forests and outdoorsy areas around but it's not quite the same as being by the beach.

Would love to spend maternity leave or SAHPing by the seaside

Maybe Devon or Dorset or Norfolk so not too far to reach family too?

DreamingofSunshine Fri 23-Mar-18 06:13:56

If money no object I'd say London or another big city where there's loads to do. I live 15 minutes drive from the beach but in a rural holiday place and it's tough in the winter as most things are closed.

Prusik Fri 23-Mar-18 06:19:21

Op, I can't really answer your question as I have no idea. Where I am all my friends have now gone back to work whereas I'm on maternity leave round two and will then be working evenings. I agree with you when you say it's isolating!

PineappleScrunchie Fri 23-Mar-18 06:21:28

Lots of SAHM to under school age kids in the Cotswolds so lots of activities and people to hang out with. There’s a large population of London mortgage down-sizers around Kemble station near Cirencester.

frasier Fri 23-Mar-18 06:27:48

We moved to the countryside to do this... and the visions of walking to nursery and playing outside have never materialised. It’s been a bad winter. No one is playing outside for long. Everyone drives to nursery. Everyone drives everywhere! The shops are a drive away, anything to do is a drive away.

I am a SICP (stay in car parent)

The countryside is not the place to be. I’d say the beach or London as mentioned above. At least if it’s a bad winter the museums etc are still open.

DownWentTheFlag Fri 23-Mar-18 06:37:27

I would say anywhere could feel like this, and you have to “break in” to the SAHP community. Have you tried going along to a local church-hall baby group? Local children’s centre? Baby swimming class? The SAHP will be around but you have to hunt them out.

toolazytothinkofausername Fri 06-Apr-18 19:33:24

An area with a good Sure Start centre for the early years. I live 3 minutes away from one that has classes on everyday.
For the later years while the children are at school, I think a good library and parks for long walks.

mountaingirl220 Sun 08-Apr-18 14:37:00

I live around Isle of Dogs in London and love it. Plus the amount of activities my child can do is fabulous. I feel like part of an international community and I see a lot of people I know all the time around the streets so it can feel like a village rather than just a city.

mountaingirl220 Sun 08-Apr-18 14:37:05

I live around Isle of Dogs in London and love it. Plus the amount of activities my child can do is fabulous. I feel like part of an international community and I see a lot of people I know all the time around the streets so it can feel like a village rather than just a city.

Dozer Sun 08-Apr-18 14:40:05

ONS has published regional/local analysis including proportions of SAHMs. I live in the commuterbelt and there is a high proportion of SaHMs.

Glug44 Sun 08-Apr-18 14:40:06

Central London is the best for cheap days out etc. Cumbria / Lake District is best if you like the outdoors and have a car as lots of dual carriageways. Cornwall / Norwich can be a bit remote and isolating as the roads are so shit.

pickledparsnip Sun 08-Apr-18 14:40:22

I live in Cornwall, and was a sahp for 5 years. It was bloody lovely. Lots of beach trips and outdoorsy stuff.

boylovesmeerkats Sun 08-Apr-18 14:45:37

Bristol is a brilliant place to be a SAHP. Plenty to do on your own or with others, people to meet and places to go. Need a car though. I agree church halls are a good place, SAHPs have to be pretty financially savvy. Some activities are more driven to parents perhaps overcompensating for being at work so it does make a difference picking the right ones.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: