Talk

Advanced search

What I love about/ my life as a

(33 Posts)
gillybeanz Sat 27-May-17 20:12:13

Ok, for the sake of peace and harmony.
I thought this might make wohp understand a litle bit more.

gillybeanz Sat 27-May-17 20:15:36

I loved the freedom of being able to do my own thing with few restrictions.
Hoping to get back there soon.

KarmaNoMore Sat 27-May-17 20:16:09

I will start, I loved being able to spend the whole morning/day/week doing something that would take me only 15 minutes to do when I was working.

I also loved being able to say I was extremely busy just because I had to go to the supermarket, tidy up and god forbid take DS to after school clubs. I bet no one on Earth could understand how difficult that was. grin

Highalert Sat 27-May-17 20:18:56

How is this going to help peace and harmony?

It reads like a smug fest to me.

gillybeanz Sat 27-May-17 20:20:47

I started one in wohp too grin

I loved the freedom and hoping to get back to it soon.
So technically not sahm atm, but have only worked for last 6 months out of 25 years grin

rogueantimatter Sat 27-May-17 20:22:10

Disclaimer I am part-time self-employed from home in term time only.

I can spend a lot of time outdoors when the weather is nice.

I am usually free to go to the DC' things, which I usually enjoy.

I have more time for bargain-hunting and cooking food I've picked up at a heavily reduced price. Very satisfying.

I can eat what I want when I want.

I have no office-politics to contend with.

I have no worries about running late.

I enjoy being in a peaceful environment.

In general I think I have more time than parents who work full time.

I like having other people's children round to be with mine.

Fastfrickinforwards Sat 27-May-17 20:24:14

Oh lucky you lot having enough money brought into the family by someone else to be able to 'love the freedom of not working'

FFS What a ridiculous smug thread

rogueantimatter Sat 27-May-17 20:25:34

Highalert

not a smug fest - we have less income than if I was working more. And I don't have adult company during the day. It would be nice to have the company of other adults sometimes.

rogueantimatter Sat 27-May-17 20:27:59

SAHM's get a lot of flak for being scroungers and or lazy or are assumed to be downtrodden, bored drudges.

OP has started this thread to counter that image.

gillybeanz Sat 27-May-17 20:35:22

Fastfrick

Please, I started one in wohp too.
Can you see the topic title?
Please be nice.

skyzumarubble Sat 27-May-17 20:49:59

I would love the freedom to do what I want without restrictions. Unfortunately I have to work.

Smug.

engineenginenumber1 Sat 27-May-17 20:52:52

biscuit

lizzieoak Sat 27-May-17 21:02:01

Well, I am divorced now so can't be a SAHP anymore, but what I did love;
Being on my own clock

Answering to myself (vs some jumped up twat who has been appointed Queen of the Office Realm)

Being able to cook at a leisurely pace

Being there for the kids when they're sick

Being there for the kids when they've had a bit of a crap day

Being able to shop during the day instead of rushing about, exhausted, on my way home

Being more in touch w the seasons from walking to shops, walking w kids to library, park, & school (versus being stuck indoors from 9-5)

Not being bored to death by boring busywork all day long - I found being a SAHM (when the kids were little and early school years) about 1000 times more interesting than work.

Probably more things! I hate working, I love taking care of my family, cooking, cleaning, baking, gardening. I'm a domestic person and it kills my spirit going to work.

Nancy91 Sat 27-May-17 21:21:46

I don't think being a SAHM would be all that fun. I like using my brain every day and I am quite a proud person so I would feel a bit silly relying on someone else for money.

Maybe my opinion is skewed because I love my job, I'm sure if I didn't I would probably want to be at home instead.

I think some people are more homely and some people are more career driven. Most people don't get to choose what they do unfortunately.

WildNightsWithAndyDay Sat 27-May-17 21:27:42

I'm a sahm through necessity (ds1 has SN). I miss being at work and being spoken to like an adult. I obviously enjoy being available for dc's. If I could still WOHM I would feel guilty about not being available for dc's and if (like for most people) WOHM isn't an option I probably would find sahm's irritating.

gillybeanz Sat 27-May-17 21:27:47

Can the people who think it's smug comment on wohp topic.
Maybe sahp won't come on that topic and accuse of smugness.

There was an argument for both topics for this type of discussion but looks like some people aren't ready for the maturity yet.

I intended for both threads to be read by the opposite to gain understanding of the other as these threads usually just turn into generalisations about the other.

NoctisLucisCaelum Sat 27-May-17 21:35:35

I work 15 or so hours around preschool etc, but mostly SAHM.
I love that, on the days my preschooler is at home, I can hang out with him doing whimsical tyrannical stuff that 3 year olds want to go. I love that I can go to the gym a couple of days a week. I'm there for my kids when they're ill, I can go to events at school, I drive them to activities and I can have their friends round. I can help my friends out with school pick ups etc if they need me to. I can get the shopping and cooking and washing done in the week rather than having to do it at the weekend. I hope that's not smug. (there's also things I hate. Especially with the work I'm trying to cram in round everything else)

engineenginenumber1 Sat 27-May-17 21:38:35

What an utterly bizarre thread hmm

"Can the people who think it's smug comment on wohp topic.
Maybe sahp won't come on that topic and accuse of smugness."

What is it with that binary simplicity? Why are you so interested? There are many shades of grey and all that.

SleightOfHand Sat 27-May-17 21:39:06

A lot of envy from some posters. Nasty thing that.

gillybeanz Sat 27-May-17 21:45:20

engine

Not bizarre at all just wanted people who wanted to talk/ celebrate their choices/ feel good about themselves whatever their work or lifestyle.
Can't stand the bun fights and think both sides could gain some understanding, but maybe not.

Aridane Sat 27-May-17 21:48:40

TAAT

gillybeanz Sat 27-May-17 21:51:40

NO. Topic title sahp thought it would be nice to talk about sahp things without being sabotaged.
I even started one in wohp too, as I work pt.
But hey ho, fool for trying and all.

engineenginenumber1 Sat 27-May-17 21:52:10

"Can't stand the bun fights and think both sides could gain some understanding, but maybe not."

Right wink wink

user1482079332 Sat 27-May-17 22:03:06

Well I'm not fully in the club I'm on maternity and itching to get back to work. But I love love love not having a boss, no negotiations just planning the day around my little man who likes to sabotage said plans with an over flowing nappy or projectile vomit every now n then.

lizzieoak Sat 27-May-17 22:21:33

Nancy91 - I don't use my brain in ways I enjoy at work. I'm always surprised that some people think everyone's job is fulfilling and fascinating.

I did use my brain with the kids and in taking care of the house. There's loads of decisions to be made (just no one to answer to) & interacting w kids and keeping them stimulated is very interesting (to me anyway).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now