Talk

Advanced search

Tips for SAH?

(3 Posts)
Friendlylightupbear Sun 02-Apr-17 14:03:02

I'm considering becoming a SAHP to my DD, 14 months. I'm currently working three days in a really flexible and convenient job, but international travel is quite a large part of the job, and I just don't want to be away from my daughter. The travel they expect me to do is a lot more that I used to do pre-mat leave as the company has grown. It's a deal breaker for me, but it's a shame as the job is otherwise great.

My DD is profoundly deaf so we have a lot of medical appointments, we're looking at her having a cochlear implant this year, and I'm learning BSL to teach her. So in many ways staying at home with her is probably the best thing for the next couple of years.

I still want her to go to nursery a couple of mornings a week, so I'll get a bit of free time, and i go to BSL class one evening a week and swimming one evening. There are a couple of deaf/signing groups I can take DD to in the week. But i am concerned about how I'll cope SAH, as I find parenting tough (as do most people I guess) especially when DD struggles to communicate. I'm just looking for any tips for how to survive as a SAHP, any pit falls to look out for, any advice? Thanks very much x

LadyMarmyLard Tue 04-Apr-17 11:59:23

Having a routine works best for me and I recommend getting out the house as much as possible! Cabin fever is the worst.
And you'll need adult conversation, could you take her to toddler playgroups?x

Booksandmags79 Wed 12-Apr-17 08:16:57

Agree with lady. By the end of a week I make sure I have a plan for each day of the following one. I make sure we interact with others every day and I've made some good friends that way.
Remember to start with it will be like the first day at work. You won't know people and you'll feel a bit lost. But you'll soon get into the swing of it.
The worst things are the lack of adult conversation and how repetitive the routine can be. So I make sure we mix it up a bit and I see other adults most days at the groups etc.
I'm still happy with my choice. It's not always easy, but I don't regret it. Good luck with it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now