Talk

Advanced search

Usbourne Book Selling

(9 Posts)
GemSingleton Mon 27-Mar-17 14:19:56

Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice. I have found a job which involves just 6 hours every Saturday which is ideal as we would have childcare for my little boy.
However this morning I saw something about selling usbourne books.
You have to pay £38 and you get a kit and stationary with £150. Which doesn't seem too bad. You have to place a £100 within 12 weeks of joining which also makes sense.

My thoughts are, how easy is it actually to achieve? Are books for children really that sought after?

Would it be worth my time?
I don't know that many people only through baby groups that I do. Was thinking I might be able to set up a Facebook page or Instagram might get it out there a bit but obviously I don't want to pour loads of time in to it and get nowhere or end up out of pocket.

Any thoughts?

Joffmognum Tue 28-Mar-17 01:50:53

Some people are successful with it, but most end up losing their money. Only do it if you don't mind losing the money. Think about who you'd sell them to - not your friends, they may buy a couple but that's not sustainable long term.

I'd consider a part time job with childcare in place first. That way you're guaranteed to make money and not have your time wasted.

NerrSnerr Tue 28-Mar-17 02:15:26

I had a friend who did it after she had her baby. As far as I know she didn't make much money. I bought a couple of books from her but you can get them so much cheaper. We now have loads of the 'That's not my' books that have been presents or from charity- we have bought very few full price books as we just haven't needed to- there's always offers somewhere.

Jemimapiddleduck Tue 28-Mar-17 03:00:46

I would try homeschool groups etc. we home ed (well we are about to stop) and the usbourne books for older children are absolutely fantastic

CocoLoco87 Tue 28-Mar-17 05:13:21

Books for children are definitely sought after but I think you'd have to put a lot of time and effort in initially to really build up the business. Usborne books sell themselves to an extent, but with places like The Works and The Book People, you might find it hard to compete with such competitive prices.

I second the view of PP that selling to your friends isn't sustainable long term. I have a friend of a friend who does this and tbh a few of us felt pressured into buying something, and rather than being excited to buy books for my DC, I ended up being a bit stressed by the whole experience but then I am a stressbag

EyeStye Tue 28-Mar-17 05:29:25

Loads of effort. Once you've sold to a few baby groups where else do you sell? Why will people buy online from your Facebook site when they can likely get cheaper from Amazon or such?
FWIW I do buy books when I see them on display outside pre school and work has a book stall in the lobby every so often. But I don't think a guaranteed income is to be paid unless you work really really hard and you'll find it hard to get a few regular customers

BikeRunSki Tue 28-Mar-17 05:42:44

I agree totally with Coco. My eldest child is 8. We have stacks and stacks of children's story books, picture books and reference books, including Usbourne publications. I think I have bought from an Usbourne direct seller once. Amazon, The Works, The Book People (and their agent who comes to my work), supermarkets, charity shops - all very accessible and cheaper.

MistressPage Mon 24-Apr-17 10:06:33

I'm not sure it's worth doing. I bought a 'That's Not My' book at our playgroup from one for £6.99 and then saw it in Sainsbury's later that week for £3. I won't buy from her again as they are so much cheaper in shops and on Amazon.

halcyondays Mon 24-Apr-17 10:10:30

I don't think you would make much money out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now