Talk

Advanced search

Sahp In a new area

(4 Posts)
user1487012581 Wed 15-Feb-17 19:53:58

Heya, im stay at home dad. We have recently (few months ago) moved to a new area because of my wifes job. She is very career driven and didn't want to take too much of a break from work so we decided I would be a sahp. I do really love it and enjoy bringing up our daughter. She's 2.

Just finding it hard ATM because we've moved away from my friends. My wife has friends from work and also knows some people in the area and she goes out about 3 times a week after work or at the weekend but im struggling to meet people. I posted a thread before and people suggested I really should get out and do social activities.

Just wanted to post to see what you would think if as a man I turned up at a toddler group or something simmilar. It would be nice to know a few mums in the area so that I can have some adult company but also so that dd can make friends. I find it quite awkward trying to join with a group of just women. Do you have an tips at all? Or suggestions? Thank you

TeaAddict235 Fri 17-Feb-17 16:11:39

Hey OP,
The toddler groups that I go to, and when DH has a a day off, there are about a minimum of 3 dads/ granddads. Plus one of ours has a Dad's day once a quarter on a Saturday morning. It shouldn't be odd for the ladies to welcome you into their conversations when discussing children and their behaviour. You'll probably be respected and admired. One dad at ours is known as Superdad for being a SAHD for about 4 years!

Little children need to see men in these environments anyway, so you will be welcomed. Just don't be the dad that ignores everyone and sits on his phone, and after a couple of weeks people will remember your name and say 'hi' if they see you in town.
There is also a Dadsnet section if you are interested, but welcome!! star

3littlebadgers Fri 17-Feb-17 16:17:40

My dh is in a similar position though through fate more than choice so watching with interest.

daisydalrymple Fri 17-Feb-17 16:20:56

I take dc3 to soft play at the local gym twice a week and there's usually a few dads there. you might find it easier at that type of group?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now