Talk

Advanced search

To any SAHM with 3/4 year old?

(37 Posts)
caroline29woohooo Sat 11-Feb-17 20:57:45

My daughter attends a nursery (that is attached to a school) two mornings a week (for social development). Her nursery teachers have informed me that by September she should be attending at least 5 mornings a week, so that when she starts school next year it does not come as a shock. Can anyone tell me how often your child at 4 attends nursery? I don't want to send her that often tbh, but i equally don't want her to be shocked when she does start in reception next year. I'm slightly conflicted on this. Anyone agree with the Nursery Teachers?

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 11-Feb-17 21:02:04

I have a just 4 year old who goes to a school nursery 5 after kind a week - 3 hours a day and a just 3 year old who goes to a private nursery for one morning and one afternoon a week.

1 year old stays at home with me

It's not compulsory so you can just do what suits but personally I think there is merit in sending them to an organised setting before starting school

SleepFreeZone Sat 11-Feb-17 21:04:23

My 4 year old does 2.5 days a week.

strugglingstepdad Sat 11-Feb-17 21:09:39

4 year old dsd goes 5 mornings a week for 3 hours. But we are thinking of upping it to a couple of extra afternoons as well smile

SilverdaleGlen Sat 11-Feb-17 21:11:18

No it's bollocks, she doesn't have to go 5 mornings to not be shocked.

Keep her home if you want. Preschool never really used to exist!

Buscake Sat 11-Feb-17 21:12:02

My 4yr old does 2.5days a week - has done since she was 2yrs9months. It suits her! I don't know if the same will be true in September for my boy who has additional needs. They're all different, just do what works best for your child.

MrsBellefleur Sat 11-Feb-17 21:13:22

Not a sahm but I work part time. Dd who is 4 in April goes to a Private nursery for 2 full days on the days I'm working. If I could afford her to go more often I would as she starts school this sept and I worry going from two days to 5 schools days will be hard going for her.

LittleGreyBear Sat 11-Feb-17 21:13:32

I'm a SAHM and my DS started reception last Sept. Most mums in my position did 5 morning or afternoon sessions (normally 2 full days plus one half day).
I was worried about him settling in at school so I upped it to 3 full days in the summer term. In hindsight 2.5 days would have been plenty.
My advice would be to make the most of not having to do the school run every day and leave a couple of full days clear for days out together (you won't have this time again). Also, i'd say if he can have lunch at nursery that is a good introduction to school dinners.
Hope that helps!

Pibplob Sat 11-Feb-17 21:14:36

4 year old - 2 full days of nursery. So 9-5pm. Coped with school fine.

speak2me Sat 11-Feb-17 21:17:07

SAHM to a 4 yo, he goes to preschool 9-1245 (Inc lunch) 4 times a week. At 3yo he did 3 afternoons (2.5hrs each).

DixieNormas Sat 11-Feb-17 21:18:42

Ds4 is 4 and does 5 afternoons and has done since he was 2

Ds3 did 2 full days and 3 afternoons from 3.5

Ds2 did 3 full days from 2, he was a bit shocked when he had to go to school every day

StarUtopia Sat 11-Feb-17 21:19:12

4 yr old goes one morning and 2 full days. My 3 yr old only goes 2 mornings.

Both of them are in full time at the minute whilst I'm recovering from a bad accident. Tbh, other than them being tired, they're both coping fabulously and love it. Probably will both complain when their hours drop back down!

I prefer to send her 2.5 days so she gets used to going for dinner etc. Can't see the point personally of 5 mornings or 5 afternoons. But whatever works for you.

Oh and come Sept when 4 yr old starts school, I will be sending 3 yr old for min of 2.5 days, if not a little more. I do think it prepares them for school. No one wants to be the parent of the child crying their eyes out at reception's door, surely?!

LinManWellWellWell Sat 11-Feb-17 21:22:35

Dd 4 does 2 full days and 1 half day. It suits her. Do whatever suits you and your child. And if it's preschool rather than nursery remember there will be 6 weeks break in the summer anyway, so she will undo any 'getting used to' she has done!

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sat 11-Feb-17 21:23:25

There is a benefit to going for at least 1 full day in order to get used to school routines but ultimately you have to do what suits you and your daughter. And with all children aged 3 getting 15 hours free funding it makes sense to utilise them.

My eldest only did 2 mornings due to me doing a course and volunteering at toddler groups she attended with me. My youngest did the full 15 hours including a full day as I had gone back to work and it worked with the rest of our commitments. Both settled into school well without problems.

The most important thing for school readiness is independence (wiping own bottom, putting on coat, opening lunch box, getting changed for pe) I work in a preschool and this is what we tell our parents.

Chocolateorangegoblin Sat 11-Feb-17 21:25:00

My nearly 4 year old was going 5 mornings but found it too much so he is now going 4 (Mon,Tues,Thurs,Fri) if we had the option I would send him 2.5 days.

venys Sat 11-Feb-17 21:25:42

My 4 year old does 4 afternoons. I like for us to do other things while we can!! He is a real homebody though and never wants to go to nursery (alrhough fine once he is in the door).

FreeButtonBee Sat 11-Feb-17 21:26:49

My Just 4yo twins go to nursery 4 mornings a week (3 hr sessions) and do two other classes a week as well. It's plenty for them really and they definitely enjoy vegging out for an hour or two after lunch. So much changes in 6 months that I can't get too excited about training them up for longer days now.

HeyRoly Sat 11-Feb-17 21:27:16

My DD started school having only ever attended preschool for three afternoons a week. I tried (and wanted, haha) to send her for two full days a week, 9 - 3.30, for her final term but she hated it so we stopped after a fortnight.

I was worried she'd struggle with five days a week in Reception and she was FINE.

MrsMulder Sat 11-Feb-17 21:27:36

My 3 and a half year old does 5 afternoons a week and will do that for this academic year before starting school in September. I like it, we do lots together in the morning and I sort the house out/ food shop/ prepare tea etc in the 3 hours she is in nursery. This ends up being more like 2 hours though as I have ds to collect from school half an hour before she finishes

NapQueen Sat 11-Feb-17 21:27:37

Dd did school nursery five afternoons a week (12.30-3.30) from the day after she turned three til she started Reception class. So she was there five terms.

When ds starts (this November, again, the day after he turns 3), he will be doing either five afternoons or a weds afternoon and full day thurs and fri. There's the possibility he will be eligible for 30 hours so 8.45-3.30pm per day.

Makes no odds to me as he rest of the time he is with the Childminder as dh and I both work ft.

Love51 Sat 11-Feb-17 21:28:13

Not a sahm, but my dd started school in September having only set foot in a nursery to pick up her cousin, and thrived. The kid bawling her eyes out went to nursery with several others. As kids are different. I'm expecting more bawling from dc2 this coming September, despite doing drop off to school / breakfast club every day, and pickup 3 times a week. Age is part of it (dc1 was nearly 5, dc2 will be just 4) but temperament counts too.
The 'kids need nursery' advice is based on the lowest common denominator. If you are interacting loads at home, she'll be fine!

TataEs Sat 11-Feb-17 21:28:39

mine did 2 short (6hour) days.
he had 10weeks off before school started. but school didn't come as a shock. i think it's total nonsense. some kids go nursery and settle to school, some don't, it's a big change no matter how u prepare them.

NapQueen Sat 11-Feb-17 21:29:30

OP I wouldn't be surprised if they un enrol him though as they are using up a five session slot with a 2 session child.

NapQueen Sat 11-Feb-17 21:29:39

Oops your dd not ds.

WaitrosePigeon Sat 11-Feb-17 21:30:06

Bollocks.

My daughter does 9am-1pm three days a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now