Have you found a way to earn any lonely as a SAHP?

(22 Posts)
Highlove Sun 10-Jan-16 09:40:20

Just as the title says really. Really interested to hear how/if SAHPs have managed to bring a bit of money in.

We're expecting DC2. I'm very keen not to go back after mat leave. I have a well paid professional job I've worked hard for...but it's stressful and even with flexible working, it takes me away from home for days at a time and is generally making me pretty unhappy. Basically I feel it's not compatible with having a family - it's pretty all or nothing and ever since going back after DD1, I've felt I'm doing a pretty shit job both at work and with her.

We can just about manage off DH's salary though we'll certainly be less comfortable. Ideally I'd like to find a way to bring a little bit of money in but find something that's flexible around the DCs. Longer-term, it's my intention to re-train once both DCs are at school. Am just looking for ideas to bring a little bit in each month. How have others done this?

futureme Sun 10-Jan-16 09:41:05

I'd love to know!

Highlove Sun 10-Jan-16 09:41:27

Bloody hell - title should obviously say money not lonely! Fat fingers on iPhone. Apologies for other stupid typos.

Highlove Sun 10-Jan-16 09:42:49

Or is this question every SAHP wants the answer to?!

FanDabbyFloozy Sun 10-Jan-16 09:54:15

I have also wondered this over the years, particularly when it was hard working outside the home when the kids were younger.

I've had many friends who have made "treat" money by doing freelance work in their original field, I.e. marketing, writing etc. They viewed it as a way to keep skills current but wouldn't be able to live off it to any degree. I've had others who found local jobs unrelated to their original work but fitted with the hours they wanted, e.g. teaching assistant. Not much money there either but rewarding. None of the small companies set up did that well in the long run for a variety of reasons.

Now all the kids are older, most are either still working in less paid rewarding jobs like teaching assistants/volunteering or have gone back to work outside the home.

If you can work part-time in your old field (e.g. 3 days/week), I do think that's a great way of keeping your skills up to date. It's hard to ever get that flexibility coming into a new job/company so worth a thought.

imsorryiasked Sun 10-Jan-16 10:17:14

What type of work do you do at the moment?
Do you have any hobbies?

Highlove Sun 10-Jan-16 10:49:24

I do work part-time at the moment - generally three or four days a week. I think that's part of the problem; my job just doesn't really work p/t so I'm finding it more stressful trying to cram everything in. I don't want DD in nursery f/t but at the moment it feels like the worst of all worlds. I'm forever behind at work which keeps me awake at night and I'm glued to emails on my supposedly non-work days, so I'm also tired and distracted when I am with her.

I work in marketing. I guess some sort of copy-writing might be an option. Am just not quite sure where to begin!

I'm not so worried about keeping up my skills as it's not a role I see myself returning to - even without all the stress I'm feeling, I don't really love the job.

I love cooking but not sure how I can make any money out of that -I love it but I'm really no Michel Roux!

WickedWax Sun 10-Jan-16 10:55:13

Or is this the question every SAHP wants the answer to?!

Yes. Hence why so many have been sucked in by Forever Living and the like, or are trying to sell glittery shit on Facebook grin.

Anyway, I'll be following this thread to see if anyone has The Answer.

AppleAndBlackberry Sun 10-Jan-16 11:22:41

I don't know much about marketing but is there a sideways move you could do either in the same company or not, or a job share, or look for a general administrative type role? My impressions of things like Avon etc is that it's quite a lot of work for pocket money and potentially annoying to your friends etc.

NewLife4Me Sun 10-Jan-16 11:29:31

We have more recently put money into a property that we let, but it has taken many years to get to this. Now, I have an income from being at home.

I have also sporadically been employed by dh as his secretary/ book keeper which has helped out now and then.

Some insurance companies allow you to work completely from home, I know as my last tennant did this. She had no dc but loved not having to leave the house to go to work. I'm not sure how you'd manage with dc though, you'd still need childcare.

Selling on ebay can bring in some bits if you can be bothered.
I have a friend I nn Stig as she finds all sorts of rubbish and sells it on ebay.
Another friend makes those nappy basket things and seems to make a good profit, but not a huge wage.

Highlove Sun 10-Jan-16 13:44:43

Thanks all. Funnily enough, an acquaintance recently tried to recruit me to Forever Living in a really pushy, hard-sell way. That is definitely never going to happen, though there are things like that that are slightly less bullshit than slow Vera smoothies which I'd consider. But not if it involves me selling to friends.

Hmmm.

Tinseleverywhere Sun 10-Jan-16 13:48:08

A friend of mine did some beautician work, and sells Avon. She said this makes a bit of money, if you have some skills and its not expensive to set up depending on what services you offer.

Alastrante Sun 10-Jan-16 13:50:16

If you work in marketing and have a hobby, can you get involved in marketing those who have small businesses within that hobby community? I know one person who does that, very online based, very social media savvy - but great for working around school/nursery and in the evenings.

BackforGood Sun 10-Jan-16 13:56:45

With two little ones at home, you are going to be struggling to earn money whilst your dh is at work. What about doing something in the evenings, or even just one night ?
Bar work / waitressing / cleaning / babysitting (unless feels a bit home from home?) / or some companies have offices open at night, data inputting type thing? Never going to earn you much, but a couple of hundred £ a month can make a difference.
Or do you have any skills you've not told us about...... could you teach swimming, or do some lifeguarding. Could you teach music? Could you teach a skill at 'night school' ? Do you dress make / do alterations ? etc.

Bythepath Sun 10-Jan-16 13:57:17

Could you do any adult teaching or nvq assessing? While on mat leave with DC3 I did an adult teaching qualification and a nvq assessor course (so does require some effort and you need to pay for the courses). Now I work for a college and teach a nvq course to people starting off in my industry. Good hourly rate and rewarding. I teach a workshop a day a month and do workplace observations of the students around my DC. I was planning on just doing that but do also work 2 days for my old job as they let me work from home.

Viviennemary Sun 10-Jan-16 13:57:57

If you find the answer to this write a book and you'll make a fortune. Seriously though I don't think it's easy to make very much money from home unless you have the kind of job that allows you to work from home. It's reasonably easy to make a little bit of money from Avon. I knew somebody who did Betterware years ago and made some money from that. But she only really wanted pocket money and said it was worth while. Keep away from Forever Living. You could do a nail type beautician course I suppose and do that from home.

Ancienchateau Sun 10-Jan-16 14:07:50

You can teach English on line via Skype. It appears you don't need any qualifications other than being able to speak it yourself. It's something I have been considering procrastinating about.

Highlove Sun 10-Jan-16 14:18:04

Bythepath that sounds interesting and I certsibly don't mind a bit of up front effort. I'll have a Google but meantime, any more info about how you did that/found work afterwards?

I wish I did have a hidden talent. So far I've not found it!

This is really helpful though - has certainly given me some food for thought.

absolutelynotfabulous Sun 10-Jan-16 14:21:29

I'm liking the idea of teaching English through Skype!

starfish12 Fri 15-Jan-16 18:56:44

Sorry this is just for a laugh but I watched a TV programme once about woman who talk dirty to pervy men and rake in a fortune! They do it whilst just doing their chores around the house...!!

Greengrass1982 Sat 16-Jan-16 15:22:43

I sell things on eBay . We also have a spare room which I rent out to students who come from abroad ... But of money and some enjoy playing with my children

Sunnyshores Sat 16-Jan-16 15:47:38

Do you have a spare bedroom? In our area alot of people take in language students, some all year round, others just in the summer.

You say you enjoy cooking - how about special ocassion cake making? Or selling to a local cafe? Was talking to a cafe owner the other day and he buys quiches, cakes, biscuits, pies from a couple of women in the village.

Dog walking, pet sitting - they always seem to charge a fortune! Could be done with Dc is tow.

I know a mum who buys cheap 2nd hand furniture like wardrobes, chest of drawers, tables, and upcycles with annie sloan paint, different handles etc. Makes about £50 each piece and does a couple a week.

Is your house in an area where people want to park? Parkatmyhouse.com etc

Ive had lots of ideas and loads of excuses as to why I cant do any of them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now