Talk

Advanced search

Will you go back to work, and when?

(61 Posts)
fiveacres Tue 26-May-15 13:04:32

For me it will possibly be in 2020 shock

I've no idea what I'll do though grin

306235388 Tue 26-May-15 13:09:13

Yes definitely. I'm hoping to get a plae to do a PGDE in 2016/17 or if not 2017/18.

I've been a SAHM 8 years already though

morethanpotatoprints Tue 26-May-15 13:10:56

High fiveacres

I don't have any plans to return to work, ever grin
what did you do before dc? Is it something you would like to go back to, or do you want something completely new?

fiveacres Tue 26-May-15 13:15:20

I was a teacher, but don't think I want to go back to that. I've no idea about how to solve childcare issues though, so I might have to. hmm

morethanpotatoprints Tue 26-May-15 13:18:30

five

Not as well paid but those jobs in Museums look fun.
The ones with a coordinator covering Ks1/2 subjects.
I nearly went for one of these myself, but nowhere near the salary of an experienced teacher.

fiveacres Tue 26-May-15 13:20:05

I'm not primary trained but I think they are much sought after in any case - quite apart from the lack of museums local to me!

howabout Tue 26-May-15 15:36:28

I have been a SAHM for 14 years with no plans to re-enter the work place. However if the right opportunity doing something interesting presented itself then I would. I would probably be too old to re-enter my profession now and I would certainly need to do a lot of skills updating.

Think you are right about museum / quasi teaching roles being sought after five and I would wonder if you might not end up being paid a lot less with a lot less flexibility / family friendly hours than if you did supply or reduced hours teaching? I have an ex-teacher friend who does adult tutoring now but again this is evening hours which is not great when you have school age DC.

Zippidydoodah Tue 26-May-15 15:38:22

I'll go back at some point but first, I want to retrain (another teacher who doesn't want to return to it!!)

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 26-May-15 15:43:11

When Ds2 turns 5 and starts school I will probably start paid work again. I doubt I'll go back to my paid employment profession though, as, although the technical side of the job hasn't changed much, the hours have and I really don't want to do night work ever again!

But I changed from that profession 15 years ago and became self-employed; so that self-employed job is the one I'm likely to re-start. It won't be full time (it never was) so won't be a main income but will certainly help the household funds.

DH is keen that I start work again hmm but I won't do it because he says so, I'll do it because it is something I really enjoyed doing; but if it starts to cause me physical problems again then I'll have to re-think the issue. And maybe retrain into something less physically demanding.

BeautifulLiar Tue 26-May-15 16:52:06

I don't want to, but will be forced to when my youngest turns 5 and the new universal credit rules kick in sad

fiveacres Tue 26-May-15 17:03:15

Does that cause any issues in your relationship Thumb?

I only ask because my XH was quite adamant that our family unit worked better when I didn't work. In a way, he was right, but it came at such a price.

Beautiful, I think we'd all like to stay at home indefinitely but for most of us it won't happen smile

ArriettyMatilda Tue 26-May-15 17:20:03

I've been a sahm since dd was born 17 months ago. I actually only graduated from university in the last 3 years but hadn't found a qualified position in my area of work. I would quite like the stimulation of a job but I'm not happy for my dd to be in child care care at the moment. I'd quite like the money too but we'd be paying most of it on child care and on the whole I enjoy my time at home with her. I imagine in 3 or 4 years I'll be looking to get back to work and hopefully have volunteered before then to have some more experience. That's if we don't have another one!

fiveacres Tue 26-May-15 17:21:58

This is largely the issue I have - that anything I could potentially earn would be gobbled up in childcare fees.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 26-May-15 17:23:51

Well DH thinks I sit on my arse all day doing nothing, so he'd far rather I was forced to be doing something by working and being paid for it. Mind you, when I was WAHM in the UK, he still thought I sat on my arse all day and did nothing. <sigh>

I wouldn't mind so much, but when it comes to him having to look after the toddler for more than 2h at a stretch, he has to draft his mum in as he "can't cope". So you'd think he'd be a bit more aware! But no.

Aside of that, no it doesn't cause issues because it's not a real "you WILL go back to work" thing - but I can imagine the PA comments would go up in quantity if I didn't!

fiveacres Tue 26-May-15 17:25:32

Ah, the old PA comments - 'well, I have to get up!'

Glad to hear it doesn't have a major impact though.

Philoslothy Tue 26-May-15 17:27:01

Just had baby number six. No real plans to return to work. I have been running a small business. I may just develop that.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 26-May-15 17:33:05

Yes, I get the "well some of us work, you know!" quite a lot. grin
As though I don't, or never have.

Philoslothy - I would imagine having and coping with daily life with 6 children is plenty for just now!

villaccals Tue 26-May-15 17:33:57

No plans to return to work, especially not as an employee, although I have various business ideas. DH doesn't have any opinion on the matter, and it wouldn't make much difference to us financially. I've just applied to do an MA next year so that will keep me busy, and I enjoy volunteering, but I'm happy being able to do the things that I enjoy and that interest me rather than work really.

fiveacres Tue 26-May-15 17:35:04

I'm torn between the 'easy' option of going back to teaching and exploring other possibilities.

Problem is childcare, childcare, childcare ...

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 26-May-15 17:37:18

Probably not terribly applicable in the UK because different systems, but one of my friends here who was a high school teacher has just had her 3rd baby and is planning on starting up a "family day care" business - which is basically child minding in her home. It's quite a common thing to do here apparently (not for me, I can barely cope with one toddler!) but I suspect a lot harder to do in the UK, not sure. It's still regulated here, inspections for safety and so on, but seems easier to do?

fiveacres Tue 26-May-15 17:38:45

I've toyed with childminding or opening a nursery actually. Problem is, I'm not great with figures.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 26-May-15 17:42:57

As in maths? Do you know any book keepers or accountants? Or you could do that book keeping course that I used to get fliers for every month or so when I was still in the UK, that might help?

Iggi999 Tue 26-May-15 17:47:57

Why is childcare so hard? I'm writing as a teacher rather than a SAHP, your teacher salary will definitely be more than a childminder (sounds like your child will be at school).

fiveacres Tue 26-May-15 17:49:31

But not for two children. smile

fiveacres Tue 26-May-15 17:50:22

Apologies thumb - yes, my maths is dire not very advanced!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now