Moving from rural mid Wales near city

(7 Posts)
Sabs37 Wed 01-Jan-20 19:28:28

I'm looking for some advice. I'm a single mum to a 13 year old boy.
I live in a rural area in mid Wales with little opportunities for work. I was brought up here, but moved away for a short period in my 20s. I moved back and stayed here for support from my parents.
I suffer with anxiety and bouts of depression. I hate were I live, im surrounded by bad memories here.
I work as a website developer remotely. Working remotely I dont socialise a lot.
I dont have any friends here, only my parents and sister. My sister is married with children and has her own life. I cant seem to meet a partner because of were I live and there arent any meet up groups where I can meet new people. I also have to travel miles to get to a busy place.
Now that my son is getting older, hes suffering because there isnt anything to do here. I'm getting fearful of the future and the prospect of being left on my own in a rural place, with no future.
I'm strongly considering relocating to a busier area, possibly cheshire as my brother lives outside Liverpool. I'm hoping there would be more job opportunities and a chance to meet more people in general. One of my concerns is leaving my rented social housing property, to live in private rented accommodation in a busier area. But this has also been a struggle, finding work to pay the rent.
The thought of staying in this place for the rest of my life, with the prospect of being on my own when my son leaves and my parents die fills me with dread. I'm stuck on making a decision. Please help me think it through.

OP’s posts: |
RandomMess Wed 01-Jan-20 20:05:07

I think relocating would be good, can you focus on getting a job first so their is a pull to a particular area?

RandomMess Wed 01-Jan-20 20:05:36

I assume your DS wants to move?

Sabs37 Wed 01-Jan-20 20:21:29

Hi thanks so much for replying. Yes my DS would like to move. He doesnt have many friends here and is also isolated.
I was going to carry on working remotely in my job when moving and then apply for work in an office.
I'm just scared about leaving my social housing for private renting.
I was going to head to the Cheshire area, so that I'd at least have my brother in liverpool. Plus Cheshire is easy to get to if I want to go back to visit my parents.

OP’s posts: |
RandomMess Wed 01-Jan-20 20:35:06

I think your concerns about leaving secure housing are valid but perhaps it's a case of feel the fear and do it anyway?

I would research areas carefully, housing costs will be high in some areas of Cheshire?

2020theteendrink Wed 01-Jan-20 20:37:37

You can do a mutual exchange?

Sabs37 Wed 01-Jan-20 20:57:22

Housing costs are quite high in that area. I suppose I would be down sizing to maybe a 2 bed flat instead.
I would consider the outskirts of Liverpool also.
I've tried to get a mutual exchange for years, but no one wants me area and they keep letting me down. So thought the only way I could leave was through private renting. I feel trapped here.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in